Instant Pot Lux 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Last updated date: January 15, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Electric Pressure Cookers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Electric Pressure Cooker you should buy.
This Instant Pot combines six kitchen appliances into one device: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, saute, steamer and warmer. It has lots of versatility and options, including up to a 24-hour delay start and three temperatures for sauting and slow cooking. In our analysis of 63 expert reviews, the Instant Pot Instant Pot Lux 6-in-1 Pressure Cooker placed 10th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note December 9, 2019:
Checkout The Best Instant Pot for a detailed review of all the top electric pressure cookers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Instant Pot is a smart multi-use Electric Pressure Cooker designed with the objective of being Convenient, Dependable and Safe. It speeds up cooking by 2-6 times making it extremely energy-efficient, while, preserving nutrients and preparing healthy, tasty dishes. Instant Pot Lux V3 6 In 1 Programmable multi-cooker replaces 6 kitchen appliances, it combines the functions of a Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer. 12 smart built-in programs – Soup/Broth, Meat/Stew, Cake, Egg, Sauté, Rice, Multigrain, Steam, Porridge, Pressure Cook, Keep Warm and Slow Cook, your favourite dishes are as easy as pressing a button. The new Cake Maker is ideal for New York style cheesecake, banana bread and other moist cakes, the Egg Program prepares, soft, medium and hard-boiled eggs perfectly in just a few minutes. Built with the latest 3rd generation technology with an embedded microprocessor. During cooking the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration. Even the volume of food is taken into consideration, all greatly improving cooking results and consistency of the dishes. A 24-hour delay start timer for delayed cooking. Automatic keep warm holds the temperature of the dish until you serve. The fully sealed environment traps the flavours, nutrients and aromas within the food without heating up the kitchen. The 3-ply inner pot stainless steel bottom is extremely durable and leaves no health concerns as associated with non-stick coatings. Bushed stainless steel exterior is finger print resistant with a large, clear display panel. UL certified, carefully designed with 10 proven safety mechanisms to eliminate many common errors that could cause harm or spoil food providing you uncompromised assurance. Instant Pot is the ideal kitchen appliance for your faced-paced, healthy lifestyle.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Electric Pressure Cookers
Pressure cookers have been around for decades, but they have recently surged in popularity, thanks to the Instant Pot and other similar appliances. When you know what pressure cookers are capable of, it’s not hard to see why so many home cooks adore them.
Cooking with an Instant Pot saves tons of time. These energy-efficient appliances can prepare a meal 70 percent more quickly than baking, roasting and other cooking methods. Since pressure cookers do work so speedily, the food can retain up to 90 percent more of the water-soluble vitamins lost when baking, boiling or steaming. Not only that, but meals come out looking divine and tasting amazing.
Pressure cookers are also convenient. They take up minimal space in cupboards and on countertops. Since they can be used to prepare everything from boiled eggs or steamed rice to rich soups and stews to succulent meats and veggies, an Instant Pot might even replace other single-purpose appliances you already have or have considered buying. You can even use them to cook meat straight from the freezer.
Most Instant Pots are programmed with one-touch presets that remove the guesswork from cooking times or temperatures. In addition, if you are cooking a dish that doesn’t require refrigeration, you can use delayed cooking to plan ahead.
Foods are cooked evenly, and the results are consistent. Pressure cooking quickly breaks down tough meat, producing tender and juicy main courses. Legumes do not require pre-soaking when you make them in an Instant Pot, as pressure cooking makes beans come out firm but malleable.
The cookers are impressive on their own, but when you add in available accessories, you can take your cooking to another level. Along with steamer baskets, glass lids and ceramic inner pots, you can also pick up extras such as springform cake and loaf pans, yogurt cups, stackable steamer pans and egg steamer racks.
Instant Pots have more than 10 safety mechanisms, making these appliances so much safer than the pressure cooker your Grandma warned you to steer clear of as a child.
Cleanup is also easy. You can toss the pot and most accessories in the dishwasher.
DWYM Fun Fact
While aspects such as a digital display, WiFi notifications and one-touch technology might be modern and cutting-edge in the kitchen, the premise of the Instant Pot is not a new one. In 1679, British physicist Denis Papin invented a vessel with a tightly fitting lid that would raise the contents to a high temperature under pressure. In 1809, Napoleon Bonaparte awarded French confectioner Nicolas Appert 12,000 francs for his canning process of cooking foods packed in glass jars in boiling water. In 1938, when German inventor Alfred Vischler introduced his saucepan-style pressure cooker at a New York City Trade Show. By the 1950s, pressure cooking was exceedingly popular. However, with the onset of World War II, aluminum was at a premium, and new pressure cookers were hard to come by. Friends and neighbors shared their cookers with one another. The appreciation of pressure cooking carried on well into the 1980s and 1990s. Today’s Instant Pots have brought pressure cooking to the forefront once more.
The Electric Pressure Cooker Buying Guide
- One of the primary considerations that you will want to think about when looking for a new Instant Pot is the size. Instant Pots come in 3-quart, 5-quart, 6-quart and 8-quart sizes. Deciding which one is right for your family can be a daunting task. The 6-quart cooker is popular, as it is large enough for complete meals or sizable cuts of meat, but not so big that it is difficult to store or move. However, there are other factors that could help you determine the best size. For instance, if you are cooking for one, a 3-quart cooker might be ideal while if you have a large family, you might require the big 8-quart Instant Pot.
- Of course, sticking to your budget is imperative. Fortunately, you can purchase a versatile and reliable Instant Pot without spending a small fortune. If you want all the bells and whistles, expect to pay a little more.
- Safety is essential, especially if you have small children underfoot while you are making meals. While all Instant Pot models have integral safety features, some have additional protective measures. For instance, the Instant Pot Ultra contains a separate quick release button on the lid away from the vent. This extra safety feature keeps your hand away from the steam that might escape from the vent.
- While all Instant Pot models have certain features, such as delay start, slow cooker or sauté mode, there are some differences between versions. For instance, some features such as the sous vide option, temperature customization and Bluetooth connectivity are only available in specific Instant Pot models. Deciding what features matter most to you could help you pick the perfect appliance.
- When looking at features, consider whether you are likely to use them. Instant Pot versions with a greater number of functions can be more challenging to use out of the box. However, if you enjoy learning to use new devices, this might inspire you to cook even more.
- Although all Instant Pot models include a sealing ring, pros and experienced users recommend grabbing some extras. The silicone gaskets have a tendency to absorb odors from the various foods made in the pots. If you plan to make a variety of dishes in your pressure cooker, consider keeping at least two sealing rings. That way, you can reserve one for savory meals and the other for sweet recipes to avoid unpleasant tastes or odors.