Honeywell Lock & Key Fireproof Safe
Last updated date: April 5, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Fireproof Safes and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Fireproof Safe you should buy.
Update as March 23, 2021:
Checkout The Best Fireproof Safes for a detailed review of all the top fireproof safes.
In addition to legal documents, this fireproof safe is capable of storing various media devices, including USB flash drives. It utilizes a key lock system for security. Homeowners will appreciate that the box offers 24-hour protection from water and 30 minutes of protection from fire.
In our analysis, the Honeywell Honeywell Lock & Key Fireproof Safe placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
MOLDED CHESTS. Honeywell waterproof fire-resistant chests are perfect for the safe storage of letter and legal documents, USB Flash Drives, DVDs, CDs and more. Secure peace of mind with these chests’ ability to protect your digital media and sensitive documents from fire and water damage. Chests are available with a handle or as a cabinet. For security measures, this box has a key lock system and a 7-year limited warranty with a Lifetime After-Fire Replacement Guarantee. FEATURES. This Fire Safe Box has a 30-Minute UL Fire protection rating for up to 1550°F and a 24 Hour waterproof seal that has been verified to keep contents dry, even when submerged 39 inches / 1 meter underwater. Designed to fit #10 envelopes, folded letter size documents, CD / DVD and digital flash drives. Standard #10 envelopes can be filed upright. Our Fireproof, Waterproof Safes are also perfect gifts to protect electronic media, personal documents, or valuables! The exterior dimensions are 7.3 in H x 12.4 in W x 9.8 in D. QUALITY MADE. As a Honeywell brand licensee, we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves with the highest levels of integrity in everything we do. This helps us sustain the credibility of the brand, maintain the strong reputation, and build on our track record of growth and performance. From the shop floor to the boardroom, all Honeywell licensees and representatives are held to the highest standard and we exceed all laws and regulations in the countries where we do business. SECURE. Honeywell Safes, Paper Shredders and Door Locks are manufactured and distributed exclusively by LH Licensed Products, Inc. These products provide security and safety for your important and irreplaceable documents and your most valuable personal possessions. We offer products that help deliver peace of mind by protecting your belongings against damage or loss in the event of fires, floods and other natural disasters as well as unauthorized intrusion and invasion of your home and office. TRUSTED COMPANY. The Honeywell trademark is licensed from Honeywell International Inc., a Fortune 100 company that invents and manufactures technologies to address some of the world’s toughest challenges linked to global macro trends such as energy efficiency, clean energy generation, safety and security, globalization and customer productivity. Technology from Honeywell International Inc. is in 150 million homes and 10 million buildings worldwide.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Fireproof Safes
There are more than 350,000 home structure fires each year in the U.S., on average, with an estimated $6.5 billion in direct property damage. Furniture and appliances can be replaced, as can your house. But what about the documents, photos and other priceless valuables inside? If your entire house burned down today, what would you wish you had saved?
A fireproof safe can house those valuables, protecting them if the worst happens. Hard-to-replace items like marriage and birth certificates, family photos and passports can rest comfortably inside, resisting the smoke and fire that surround it. Many fireproof safes also build in waterproofing, which keeps your document safe if water is used during the extinguishing process. It may have the added bonus of protecting your items if your home floods due to an appliance leak or natural disaster.
Not all fireproof safes are equal, though. You’ll need to check the rating of any safe you’re considering to make sure it will keep your documents unharmed. A safe that can withstand a full hour of temperatures up to 1700 degrees Fahrenheit is rated higher than a safe that can only withstand 20 minutes at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. However, in many instances, water damage may be more of a concern than fire damage. So you should also factor in how long your safe can withstand water, and up to what depth.
Chances are, your safe will never have to hold up against water or fire damage. You will, however, enjoy the benefits of your items being secure in a safe. If someone breaks into your home, or you have an untrustworthy visitor, your valuables will be protected with the right choice. You can choose between a digital keypad, a dial combination or a key, with each option having its own benefits. A digital keypad will require a battery, while a dial combination isn’t quite as easy to operate. A key is something you’ll have to store in a place that can’t be easily found by an intruder.
Whatever option you choose, make sure you have a backup in case your first way in fails. If you forget the combination or the battery in your keypad dies, do you have a backup key? For safes that open only by key, you’ll need a copy in a safe place in case you lose the first one. Some safes also have a locking mechanism that lets you secure the safe if you want even the people who have the combination to not be able to get in.
The Fireproof Safe Buying Guide
- Before you buy a fire-resistant safe, it’s essential to first determine whether it will, in fact, hold up during a fire. The basic requirement to qualify as a fire-resistant safe is 20 minutes at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. But obviously, the longer the resistance and the higher the temperature, the better.
- Some models are actually safe boxes, and not actually fireproof safes. However, they do have fire-resistant features that can help. They are typically built with a layer of fire-resistant insulation in between the double walls. This gives them more fire protection than basic security boxes, and increases the likelihood of surviving a fire as long as 20 minutes without damage to internal contents.
- Flame and smoke damage aren’t the only concerns you’ll have after a home fire. The process of extinguishing the fire itself can damage your belongings due to the chemicals used in the process. Although the items in the safe may be protected from dry, powdery types of extinguishing agents, liquid and water can seep into safes that aren’t protected against it, and those substances can easily damage the items inside.
- Look for a model that also has waterproof features, with the ability to remain watertight for 24 hours in up to 8 inches of water. Some of these models, however, have insulation inside the safe that are susceptible to condensation build up.
- Some fireproof safes are made to optionally be bolted to the floor. Unfortunately, doing that can affect the waterproofing features of the safe.
- If you’re serious about protecting your documents, it’s important to look at build. A 14-gauge steel body and 0.75-inch bolts to keep things secure are nice, as is a model with a heavy-duty solid steel exterior. But plastic components on the non-protective parts of these safes aren’t as sturdy.
- Consider an extra-sturdy box that features a double steel wall construction with fire-resistant insulation and a padded bottom, which adds a bit of protection for your items.
- Once you’ve worked out fire and water-resistance levels, you’ll also want to make sure your safe actually secures your items. Some safes use an electronic keypad, as well as an emergency key in case you ever forget your code.
- Look for a battery indicator on the keypad, so you don’t have to worry about it running out without you knowing it. Even with the battery indicator, it’s always important to keep your backup key where you can find it.
- Some models let you pick the locking option you want. You can choose a dial combination or a digital keypad. There may also be a secondary locking key, letting you disable the primary lock, This prevents even those who know the combination from opening it.
- Fireproof and fire-resistant safes can vary in price, but you’ll also find that the cost matches the protection they provide.
- One important consideration is size. A larger model offers sizes as large as 2.05 cubic feet, while smaller models offer 1.2 cubic feet of storage. Of course, there are also boxes that are just 0.17 cubic feet in size, which are more ideal for letter-size documents that can be folded to fit inside.
- In addition to interior size, it’s important to look at any shelving. An adjustable shelf makes it easy to customize your storage to what you need.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide