Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker & Hot Water Dispenser
Last updated date: October 11, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Coffee and Espresso Machines and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Coffee and Espresso Machine you should buy.
In our analysis of 49 expert reviews, the Hamilton Beach Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker & Hot Water Dispenser placed 0th when we looked at the top 4 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note January 2, 2020:
Checkout The Best Coffee and Espresso Machine for a detailed review of all the top coffee and espresso machines.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
Whether you’re getting breakfast ready for the family or pouring yourself a cup, the Hamilton Beach programmable 12 cup Coffee maker & hot water dispenser can help you streamline the morning rush. That’s because it’s two appliances in one – a 12 cup Coffee maker and a hot water dispenser. Separate water reservoirs means the two sides operate independently of each other, so you can brew a pot of Coffee while using the one-hand hot water dispenser to make tea, cocoa or instant cereals. Both sides can be programmed up to 24 hours in advance, and the 2-hour automatic shutoff makes for one less thing to worry about as you’re heading out the door
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Coffee And Espresso Machines
If you’re like many people, your day doesn’t start without a good kick of caffeine. For those who stumble to the kitchen, barely awake, only to have to struggle to get the coffeepot going, a programmable coffeemaker may be the best purchase you’ll ever make. Simply get everything set up and tell your brewer when to start the next morning. If you wake up at 6 a.m., set it so that by the time you walk into the kitchen at 6:05, all you have to do is grab a coffee cup and pour.
“In addition to the general consistency, reliability, and speed of an electric coffee maker, smart machines go one step further: they allow you to control your coffee maker with your smartphone,” says culinary expert Julie Chernoff, food journalist, dining editor of Better magazine and member of Les Dames d’Escoffier. “Start your coffee brewing from the comfort of your bed on a cold winter morning or have it ready when you get home. Working from home? No need to leave your desk to start it brewing.”
But programmability isn’t the only advanced feature available on today’s smart coffee machines. There are brewers that will give you the option of switching to carafe or single-cup mode. This can come in handy for those who prefer to grab a single cup to go during the week, then enjoy a full carafe on weekends.
If you’re buying a carafe-based coffeemaker, make sure it has a pause and fill feature. This means once your coffee starts filling the carafe, the unit will pause if you pull it out to pour yourself a cup. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait for the entire brewing process to complete to even get your first cup.
In addition to programmability, automatic shut-off is a handy feature to have in your coffeemaker. This is especially helpful when using a carafe-based coffeemaker, as accidentally leaving it on can damage the bottom of your carafe and even create a fire hazard. Most coffeepots with auto shut-off power down within an hour or two. If you like to leave your coffee on the warmer for longer than that, make sure you can disable this feature.
While searching for a coffeemaker, check carefully into compatibility. If it’s a single-cup brewer, make sure you can easily find the pods you’ll need. Keurig’s pods are the most widely available, but they don’t work with all single-cup brewers. For carafe-based coffeepots, you’ll need to buy paper filters, but some come with mesh baskets that serve as eco-friendly alternatives. Simply wash and reuse.
Also, check about compatibility in terms of operating systems before you buy! Is the smart coffee machine you’re looking at enabled for Alexa or Siri? Does it work with iOS or Android? Also check to see if it requires a Bluetooth smart outlet or other smart plug in order to operate with peak functionality when it comes to setting timers, controlling temperature, and other tasks.
If you’re on a budget or prefer to control the process mechanically yourself, recognize that a smart coffee maker may have appeal because it’s a cool new luxury item with fun features — but it might not be for you, and that’s okay too.
“This may be one one-note gadget too many,” says Chernoff.
DWYM Fun Fact
If you use webcams for any aspect of your daily life, you have coffee to thank for it. A group of computer scientists at Cambridge University invented a webcam way back in 1991 just to keep an eye on their coffeepot. The camera was set up near the coffeemaker and set to monitor coffee levels. The scientists saw a 129 x 129-pixel grayscale image of the pot, displayed at only one frame per second, but it was enough to let them know when their coffee was ready or close to empty. The camera continued to run until 2001, when it was switched off during a move, and later sold on eBay for a whopping $5,000.
The Coffee And Espresso Machine Buying Guide
- If you haven’t seen the Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker, it’s worth a look. The number of brewing options far exceeds most of the competition. You’ll have the option of making an entire carafe, a single cup, or a pod. That means you can use it for your single cups most of the time, then use the carafe future when you have company. You can even fill your carafe, then make your own personal cup using the type of coffee you prefer.
- Programmable coffeemakers are nothing new. If you’re operating outside the single-cup model, which tends to heat up and brew quickly, it’s important to consider a brewer with programmability. The carafe function of the Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker will let you program your coffee up to 24 hours in advance. The SharkNinja Ninja 12-Cup Coffee Maker With Classic and Rich Brews has a “delay brew” function that lets you set brewing up 24 hours ahead of time, and the Cuisinart 10-Cup Classic Thermal Coffeemaker also lets you program as much as 24 hours in advance.
- Auto shut-off can help save energy and protect your home. The Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker and SharkNinja Ninja 12-Cup Coffee Maker With Classic and Rich Brews both shut off after two hours.
- The Cuisinart 10-Cup Classic Thermal Coffeemaker beeps when your coffee is ready, which may come in handy if you start brewing and walk away.
- No matter what convenient features your brewer has, it all comes down to how the coffee itself tastes. The Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker lets you choose between either regular or bold, and you’ll find the carafe side brews a delicious, rich cup of coffee. The single-serve side isn’t quite as impressive, but still good. With the SharkNinja Ninja 12-Cup Coffee Maker With Classic and Rich Brews, you get Ninja’s special XL Showerhead Thermal Flavor Extraction technology, which brings out the full flavor of the coffee you’re brewing. The Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine Bundle uses Centrifusion technology to spin the capsule at an exceptionally fast rate to make your coffee thick and smooth.
- Coffee makers can be especially tough to clean. If this is a concern for you, steer toward the Cuisinart 10-Cup Classic Thermal Coffeemaker, which brings convenience with its self-cleaning feature. The SharkNinja Ninja 12-Cup Coffee Maker With Classic and Rich Brews is slightly easier than competitors to clean, thanks to the water reservoir that can be removed for cleaning and refilling.
- Your coffeemaker becomes part of your kitchen aesthetic, so it’s important to consider design in your choice. The Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine Bundle has a unique contemporary look that will enhance your décor.
- Ease of use is also important. The simplicity of the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine Bundle puts it ahead of competitors in this area. You’ll only deal with one button that controls all the functions you’ll need.
- When brewing an entire carafe, you’ll probably want to be able to pour while it’s brewing. The pause-and-serve feature on the Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker and SharkNinja Ninja 12-Cup Coffee Maker With Classic and Rich Brews lets you pull the carafe out to pour a cup, pausing the brewing until the carafe is back in place again.