Gramercy Kitchen Protective Pad Unpolished Granite Mortar & Pestle
Last updated date: July 9, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Mortar And Pestles and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Mortar And Pestle you should buy.
Update as September 14, 2021:
Checkout The Best Mortar And Pestle for a detailed review of all the top mortar and pestles.
In our analysis of 89 expert reviews, the Gramercy Kitchen Protective Pad Unpolished Granite Mortar & Pestle placed 8th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
mortar and pestle set gramercy kitchen company co We designed our mortar and pestle to work perfectly in your kitchen – with ALL the features you’ll need. Because of the thoughtful care we’ve taken at developing this product, this mortar and pestle set will quickly become your new favorite kitchen tool. The mortar and pestle is one of the oldest kitchen implements around – and was one of the few tools used in ancient times in cooking food. The flavors and aromas achieved when our seasonings are grinded and pounded are impossible to achieve with any other technique – modern food processors cut, but they can’t crush. Crushing changes and deepens the flavors fundamentally. But, even with all that magic happening – there are certain features that show up in some mortar and pestle sets that can make a mortar and pestle very difficult to use, and some features that make using it a joy. Our mortar and pestle was carefully designed to function perfectly. mortar and pestle set WE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING While other other mortar and pestle sets are small or lightweight, our solidly built set weighs about a hefty 5 pounds – keeping it in place on your counter while you work and ensuring a set that will stand the test of time – you’ll have this forever. mortar and pestle set COMES COMPLETE WITH GARLIC PEELER Because we know you’ll use lots of garlic in your mortar and pestle, we include a handy garlic peeler. Because crushing garlic in your mortar and pestle breaks down the cell walls, processing garlic with your m&p releases a whole other level of flavor in your garlic. And our peeler makes it super easy. mortar and pestle set A PERFECTLY DESIGNED SET We feature the most important feature that will make your work more efficient – deep groves on the inside of our mortar bowl. We’ve also included all the key other features that make grinding your favorite seasoning easy and quick – a deep bowl that will keep ingredients from splattering, a footed bowl which adds steadiness while you work. We didn’t miss a thing. We also made sure to design our pestle with a wide, broad head to grip as much as possible for efficient grinding and a tapered end for your hand’s comfort. Our pestle is also longer than others – which will keep your knuckles from banging against the side of the mortar while you work. mortar and pestle set NO SCRATCH, SKID PROOF PROTECTIVE PAD We’ve included a non-skid protective pad to keep your counter top safe from scratches and to keep your implement in place when in use. So you’ll get the benefit of having a hefty implement for long term use, and there will be no skidding around on your counters. TRY US OUT – WE BELIEVE YOU’LL BE THRILLED mortar and pestle set mortar and pestle set mortar and pestle set LONG PESTLE, LARGE HEAD FOR CRUSHING We’ve designed the pestle of our set to be quite long. Shorter pestles cause you to hit your hand on the mortar bowl when you work. The pestle has a wide large head that is machined to fit perfectly into the curve of the bowl. This makes sure that you can grind very efficiently as the large head grips as much as possible while the custom shape fits perfectly, making sure there are no areas where food will go un-crushed. LOOKS BEAUTIFUL ON YOUR COUNTER Not only is your mortar and pestle incredibly functional, it looks beautiful displayed on your countertop as decor. The classic look of GKC’s set will perfectly complement any decor scheme. We made sure our set item is perfectly functional and also beautiful. CARING FOR YOUR MORTAR AND PESTLE Caring for your set is easy. Our set comes with full instructions for how to season your mortar and pestle before its first use. Because our set is crafted carefully from real stone, a couple easy steps will make sure you’ll get the best possible life out of your unit. We include full instructions with your unit for taking care of this! TRY US OUT! If you are at all dissatisfied, we are committed to making sure you are happy.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Mortar And Pestles
If you like making herbaceous or garlic-infused sauces from scratch or enjoy the feeling of working with your hands in the kitchen, then a mortar and pestle is a must-have tool for you. A pestle is a small club-like gadget used to pound ingredients inside the mortar, which is a small bowl. Together, they are a useful duo that helps home cooks and chefs create delicious recipes.
In the kitchen, a mortar and pestle is used to mix wet or oily ingredients to make recipes such as guacamole, hummus and pesto. A mortar and pestle is also used for grinding spices down to a fine powder. However, the kitchen isn’t the only place where a mortar and pestle come in handy. They also have a special place in medicine. Traditionally, mortars and pestles were used in pharmacies to crush various medicines together to create a prescription.
Mortar and pestles can be made from several different ingredients, each lending specific benefits to the user. Ceramic ones are often found throughout Italy and Spain. They are used for grinding up ingredients and making liquid sauces. Marble mortar and pestles are great for grinding dry spices, but the inside is too slippery for crushing up herbs effectively. Granite mortar and pestles are most popular in Thailand and India. The irregular texture of the bowl makes it easier to grind ingredients. Wood ones are most popular in the Mediterranean. However, keep in mind that they absorb the flavors of the food pounded in them.
When on the hunt for a good mortar, be sure to find one that is hefty and durable. Feel the inside with your fingers. It’s important to have a little bit of roughness, but not so much that it is difficult to clean. Ones that are too smooth are very slippery and make it difficult to crush ingredients. Look for a tall, rounded shape to keep ingredients from falling out. Opt for pestles that are broad with a gently rounded base. This keeps ingredients from slipping out underneath it.
The Mortar And Pestle Buying Guide
- For home cooks and professionals alike, the material your mortar and pestle is made from is of the utmost importance. The kind you need will depend on how you primarily plan on using it in the kitchen. The ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set is made out of unpolished heavy granite. The set is durable and heavy, and will not slip during use. Other models have a double stainless steel construction. Look for a functional design and a non-skid base to keep it in place. The Cooler Kitchen Silicone & Porcelain Mortar and Pestle is made out of apothecary-grade porcelain, which means that it’s easy to clean and doesn’t absorb any flavors or odors. The Sagler Marble Grey Mortar & Pestle is constructed from solid white marble with gray accents. It has an unpolished and natural rough interior.
- As with any kitchen tool, easy cleanup is a major buying factor. After all, if you’ve been working in the kitchen all day, having to scrub the gadgets you used isn’t going to be a lot of fun. When buying your mortar and pestle, opt for one that is designed to be cleaned without too much scrubbing. The ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set can be washed with just warm water. It does not need any soap to be cleaned. Stainless steel models are low maintenance and easy to clean. Some even have a mortar that comes with a lid that can be used while pounding ingredients to lessen any splatters and spills on the counter. The Cooler Kitchen Silicone & Porcelain Mortar and Pestle can be placed in the dishwasher, so it is very easy to keep clean. The Sagler Marble Grey Mortar & Pestle can be cleaned simply by wiping it down with a damp cloth. There is no need for scrubbing or soap.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide