Last updated date: July 26, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Gopro Camera and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Gopro Camera you should buy.
Editor's Note August 12, 2019:
Checkout The Best Gopro Camera for a detailed review of all the top gopro camera.
The GoPro Hero4 is an older model, but still works well for first-timers and those not wanting to invest tons in an action camera. It is a tried-and-true camera with powerful and varied video capabilities. It offers Protune for both photos and video, allowing manual control of photography settings. When launched, it took GoPro technology to the next level, although newer models have since surpassed it.
In our analysis of 56 expert reviews, the GoPro GoPro HERO4 placed 4th when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
HERO4 Black takes Emmy Award-winning GoPro performance to the next level with our best image quality yet, plus a 2x more powerful processor that delivers super slow motion at 240 frames per second. Incredible high-resolution 4K30 and 2.7K60 video combines with 1080p120 and 720p240 slow motion to enable stunning, immersive footage of you and your world. Protune settings for both photos and video unlock manual control of Color, ISO Limit, Exposure and more. Waterproof to 131’ (40m) with 12MP photos at 30 frames per second and improved audio, HERO4 Black is the ultimate life-capture solution for those who demand the best.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Gopro Camera
GoPro has become synonymous with adventure. No matter where your definition of adventure takes you, from the highest mountains down to the depths of the ocean and anywhere in between, GoPro is the action camera of choice to capture it all.
All GoPro models are designed to capture high-resolution photo and video in the elements and on the go. In fact, these four models all boast 12-megapixel cameras. For reference, you can enlarge 12-megapixel images to a poster-size 24-inch by 36-inch print. In addition, GoPro cameras have an extremely wide field of view. All GoPro cameras have a fixed 170-degree lens, so they capture almost everything in front of the camera on video and photo. There’s only a small slice of 10 degrees that it doesn’t capture in that frontal field of view.
They are easy to mount on a person or vehicle with a handful of accessories and add-ons. Built tough, they are rugged enough to take just about anywhere in any conditions. All models are compact and lightweight, so they are easy to carry and pack on longer trips. You might even mistake them for a child’s toy, but they hold high-tech recording power inside that’s anything but child’s play.
GoPros also feature built-in WiFi. That means you don’t have to physically touch the camera to make changes. You can direct it all via Wi-fi from your phone or tablet within a reasonable range.
It’s not too surprising that the top GoPro camera is the latest and greatest model. The GoPro Hero7 Black doesn’t get the stamp of approval just because it is shiny and new. It comes with valuable upgrades and performance that testers believe are worth the extra cost. The most notable new feature is state-of-the-art stabilization technology called HyperSmooth. This market-leading addition means footage comes out clean and stable no matter how shaky or amateur the videographer behind the camera may be.
It also records in 4K60 video, 12MP and HDR Mode. All those numbers and specs sound complicated, and yes it is high end, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t right for newbies. For example, features like scene detection and voice command make it a user-friendly choice for all experience levels.
The sophisticated standout features aside, some may be disappointed that many of the core specs are essentially identical to the Hero6 Black, which is another solid choice. As a result, the Hero6 Black ended up with the second highest score. At a lower price point, it’s a solid option for those confident they have steady camera hands and don’t need the stabilization feature.
For an even thriftier option, one model earlier is the best choice. The GoPro Hero5 12 MP impresses with convenient touch display, voice activation and ready-to-go waterproof design. It captures video in 4K and 12-megapixel images with multiple shooting modes at a fraction of the cost of newer models.
All of these top picks come with waterproof features. This is an upgrade from older GoPro models that required a separate waterproof housing or dive case to protect against moisture. These come ready-to-go waterproof for planned or spontaneous plunges or inclement weather.
If your goal is capturing great-looking action footage, these GoPros will get the job done and then some.
The Gopro Camera Buying Guide
- Battery life is a consistent issue with all GoPro models. It’s a smart move to bring along extra batteries and chargers to ensure your GoPro is powered.
- All GoPro models after the Hero 3+ capture photos in 12-megapixels. This is fine enough quality to produce poster-size prints from the camera snaps.
- There is a wide range of accessories and attachments to connect GoPros to people, vehicles and even pets.
- HyperSmooth is an exciting feature built into GoPro Hero7 Black model that allows for stable footage, even for amateur videographers.
- GoPros capture a super wide-angle view in video and photos. Only a small slice (about 10 percent) of what is in front of the camera doesn’t end up on film.
- Prices range from model to model, depending on the features you’re looking for. For some, a more costly camera, like the GoPro Hero7 Black, may be worth it for its up-to-date HyperSmooth technology. Others with more camera experience may not require the stabilization feature. Make sure to look closely at the specs to ensure that you’re getting exactly what you want.
- Each one of these models comes with waterproof features, protecting the camera from inclement weather or dips in the water.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide