General Finishes Milk Paint Self-Sealing Mineral Fusion Paint
Last updated date: June 17, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best you should buy.
Update as June 17, 2022:
Checkout The Best Mineral Fusion Paint for a detailed review of all the top .
Here's a premium milk paint rated for interior and exterior use. You can apply it onto prepped finished surfaces or directly onto raw wood. It does not need a top coat and comes in 33 elegant colors.
In our analysis, the General Finishes General Finishes Milk Paint Self-Sealing Mineral Fusion Paint placed 3rd when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
This paint is self-sealing and does not require a topcoat. Do not apply clear topcoats over bright white paint, as yellowing may occur due to a reaction to the substrate. Light color paints may also experience yellowing due to topcoat application, but it will less noticeable. Extremely durable premium furniture paint with high adhesion rated for interior or exterior use. Apply over raw wood or prepped existing finishes. Perfect for upcycling and cabinet refinishing. Apply 2-3 coats by roller, brush or sprayer with an HVLP 2.0 tip. Water cleanup.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On
Mineral fusion paints are all the rage these days because they come in modern, versatile colors that can instantly upgrade whatever you are painting. Even better, they are lead-free, non-toxic, odor-free and don’t contain volatile organic compounds (VOC), formaldehyde or ammonia.
Many mineral fusion paints are also made with built-in primers and topcoats, making them easier to apply. These higher-end decorative paints are not inexpensive, and are often used to paint furniture and smaller pieces instead of entire rooms. Whatever gets painted can serve as a focal point for the space it’s in.
Chalky mineral paint creates a matte, chalk-like finish that is trendy these days. It is water-based and usually dries down into a distressed, soft look because it contains calcium carbonate or plaster of Paris. The look is clean and vintage rather than glossy. In most cases, you won’t need to do any prep work as long as the surface is clean; usually, no sanding or priming is required.
Milk paint is also mineral-based and has a similar kind of finish, but in addition to being water-based, it also has milk proteins. This milk protein gives it a sheen that many describe as a more “natural” choice. You can also find paints with mica beads blended into them to create metallic, iridescent finishes. These premium paints are sold in smaller cans; you won’t often see them sold in gallons. They can also have shorter shelf lives, especially the milk paint; you’ll want to read the product descriptions carefully.
The Buying Guide
- Examples of VOCs include methyl text-butyl ether (MTBE), chloroform, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde.
- You must mix milk paint before it can be used.
- You can buy a chalk-style or natural-bristle paint brush with your chalk-style paint.
- Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth and gentle cleaner before painting.
- Always stir your paint before using it to properly distribute the coloring and minerals.
- Some mineral paints need no primers or sealants and require only one coat, saving you time and extra effort.
- You can still use a sealer on chalk or milk paint. Use an oil, wax or polyurethane sealant if you go this route.
- Both of these types of paint dry quickly, in as little as 30 minutes.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide