GE Stainless Steel Microwave
Last updated date: January 17, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best you should buy.
Update as January 13, 2022:
Checkout The Best Countertop Microwave for a detailed review of all the top .
In our analysis of 29 expert reviews, the GE Stainless Steel Microwave placed 16th when we looked at the top 20 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On
In today’s busy, fast-paced world, most people couldn’t imagine living without a microwave. The ability to pop your food in the appliance, push a few buttons and have snacks or meals ready to eat in a few minutes is a great convenience. In fact, microwaves have changed the way many people cook and eat, allowing for fast meal prep without the need for a lot of pots and pans or long periods of time standing over a stovetop. They also provide a convenient way to heat up leftovers, eliminating the need to choose between eating cold food or turning on an oven.
Another handy characteristic of microwaves is that they don’t take up an extensive amount of space. While some models fit over a range and require certain space specifications and hardware, countertop microwaves do just what the descriptive name implies — they sit right on your countertop, and are ready to start cooking by simply plugging in the power cord and selecting the appropriate time, temperature and function buttons. Look for models that offer a practical footprint with a 0.9-cubic-foot capacity, but that also feature straightforward controls that are simple to use.
Have you ever wondered how microwaves cook food so quickly? It’s the electromagnetic radiation within these handy small appliances that heat the molecules within liquids and foods, warming them quickly and effectively. A microwave’s power is measured in its wattage and typically ranges from around 600 to 1,200 watts. The higher the wattage, the faster the model cooks. The Toshiba EM131A5C-BS delivers 1,100 watts of power, earning praise for the fast, even results it produces. Some microwaves also have temperature control functions so you can reduce or increase the power as needed.
Countertop microwaves have knobs or digital keypads that allow you to control the amount of time needed to reheat or cook food. Most modern models also feature numerous preset buttons for one-touch cooking. These one-touch controls have programmed times that are designed to precisely heat specific types of food, taking the guesswork out of preparing numerous favorites. For example, all you have to do is tap the pizza button on a microwave to warm up a slice, and it does the work for you!
A microwave’s ability to cook fast and further cut down on prep time with one-touch controls brings convenience to the kitchen, but some models take time-saving heating to the next level. Some microwaves offer state-of-the-art cooking technology, measuring the moisture levels released from food and automatically adjusting cook times accordingly. Fast and smart technology equals a win-win when it comes to cooking and reheating your favorite snacks, tasty leftovers and mealtime recipes.
Microwaves have other features that make cooking in them a breeze. Digital displays make it easy to read cook times and settings and can even be programmed with the time when not in use. Turntables rotate food while cooking so you don’t have to, and buzzers alert you when your food is ready. Functions like melt and defrost are useful for preparing ingredients for recipes or de-thawing frozen foods. Microwaves that have quick-warm buttons allow you to heat food in 30-second increments, allowing you to gradually heat food to the perfect temperature.
As you shop for a new countertop microwave, don’t forget aesthetic appeal. Just like other small and major kitchen appliances, they are available in different colors and finishes to fit any home’s decor.
The Buying Guide
- You need to consider how much counter space you have to work with before choosing a countertop microwave. Models like the Toshiba EM131A5C-BS take up several extra inches of width and depth space than a smaller unit like the Nostalgia RMO4AQ Retro 800-Watt Countertop Microwave and are better suited for smaller, shorter counters. On the other hand, if space is not a concern, a larger countertop microwave will provide ample space and power for the majority of your cooking needs.
- Keep in mind that microwaves that deliver more wattage power cook faster than lower-wattage options, but also tend to cost a bit more. The Toshiba EM131A5C-BS zaps food quickly with its 1,100-watt output but costs a bit more than the brands that put out 900 watts of power.
- What color are the appliances that you already have in your kitchen? For an appealing look that pairs nicely with your refrigerator, oven and dishwasher, choose a countertop microwave with a matching finish.
- Do you have a limited budget? Just because a microwave doesn’t come with a high price tag doesn’t mean it won’t meet your expectations. Although the Nostalgia RMO4AQ Retro 800-Watt Countertop Microwave comes at a reasonable price point, it has a reputation for being well-made, easy to use and heating foods evenly and effectively.
- The type of cooking you plan to do using your microwave is one factor you need to consider before deciding on the model and features that will work best for you. For example, if you like to prepare full meals that include meat, fish and poultry, a microwave that has an interior space of at least 1 cubic foot capacity and 900 watts of power or more is a good choice. But if you primarily use your microwave for the convenience factor of heating foods quickly, look for a model with plenty of preset functions.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide