Last updated date: September 5, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Standing Desks and dug through the reviews from 3 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Notebooks, Gotta Be Mobile and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Standing Desk you should buy.
The Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation is easily adjustable, making it ideal for those who switch positions throughout the day. Though much higher priced than competitors, you'll get everything you need to set up a desk. It also requires some assembly when it arrives, so make sure you have the necessary tools. In our analysis of 33 expert reviews, the Ergotron Ergotron WorkFit-C placed 4th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Standing Desk for a detailed review of all the top standing desks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Stay energized and productive while you compute-move from a sitting to a standing position whenever you want. The workstation's large work surface and height-adjustable keyboard tray make computing comfortable all day long. Easily relocate your workstation to the point of need with this cart-based workstation. Change from a sitting to a standing position and back again whenever you want. This height-adjustable workstation moves your keyboard and a larger display in one simple motion, making computing comfortable for prolonged periods.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Standing Desks
By now, you’re probably aware that experts advise against sitting all day. Even if you hit the gym after work, sitting for extended periods may reduce your life expectancy, increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, among other health issues.
“Sitting is the new smoking,” Stephanie Mansour, a certified personal trainer and the founder of fitness brand Step It Up Steph, says. “Being sedentary has horrendous health effects. Standing up, moving, getting your blood pumping and improving your circulation while at work is a huge benefit to health.”
Standing desks have become increasingly popular in recent years. You may even see a few at work. Today’s standing desks can adjust your monitor from a sitting position to a standing position, letting you switch back and forth throughout the day.
When you start looking for a standing desk, though, there are a few things to keep in mind. One is whether you want to use your standing desk with an existing desk, or you need an all-in-one unit. Some standing desks are built to stand on top of the desk you already have, making them a modification for an existing office. Some others provide a stand or cart that you can move around your home as needed.
Then there are treadmill desks. If you want to take your health to the next level, walking at a slow pace while you’re working can make at least a small difference. Studies have shown you’ll still need to stop by the gym or go for a run as you normally do, though, as users were found not to walk fast enough to get any real calorie-burning benefits.
No matter which desk you choose, though, consider the ease of lowering and raising the desk. If you plan to move from sitting to standing and back again throughout the day, you won’t want to stop everything you’re doing to manually make the adjustment. Some desks even require two people to switch the height, making those a better choice for someone who plans to rarely change the desk’s position.
Assembly is another consideration. Some standing desks arrive preassembled, while others will require some work. Make sure you check before you order so that you’re prepared with the tools and additional manpower you might need when your new item arrives.
Price will also be a factor. All-in-one desks won’t require you to have an existing office setup, and they may be more affordable than the ones that require a desk.
Mansour, the fitness expert, points out that some employers will subsidize or cover the costs for employees to purchase standing desks — so it’s definitely worth checking with your own employer.
Treadmill desks will usually be much more expensive, as the cost of a motorized treadmill will naturally bump that price up. If you already have a desk or table you plan to use, the extra features in a desk converter may be a better deal than an all-in-one unit.
DYWM Fun Fact
It’s possible your investment in a standing desk may make you a better worker. A 2017 study found that standing participants did better in cognitive tests than those who were sitting. This is believed to be related to the stress that comes from the extra effort required to stand. A treadmill desk may push that even further, considering walking has been connected to improved creativity. Still, part of that creativity boost may be related to getting away from your desk and taking a stroll.
Some studies have shown that treadmill desks can actually impair creativity, although that research has been disputed in recent years. Chances are, once you get used to standing or walking at your desk, you’ll find you’re focusing more on your work than on what your body is doing.
The Standing Desk Buying Guide
- Before you start shopping for a standing desk, take a moment to think about what exactly you want. If you have a desk already, you’ll probably get more bang for your buck with the VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk, which is designed to rest atop the desk or table you already have. With either the Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk and Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation, you get a compact cart with a standing desk that gives you the flexibility to move it around your home or office. You may, instead, choose to go for a treadmill desk, which lets you trade in standing for walking at a slow pace while you work. The LifeSpan Treadmill Desk comes with both the under-desk treadmill and a desk.
- With many standing desks, you’ll have to put at least some of the parts together before you can get started. Both the LifeSpan Treadmill Desk and VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk come mostly preassembled, but you may want to have a couple of tools on hand in case you need to tighten something. With the Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk and Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation, you’ll need to put some work into putting things together before you can get started.
- If you’re concerned about your office décor, you may want to consider the VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk, which has a polished, professional design. The Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk will blend easily with any décor, taking up little space. But both it and the Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation have “cart” setups that make them look less desk-like. The LifeSpan Treadmill Desk has a professional design, but consider how large it will be in your existing office, which likely isn’t already set up with gym equipment.
- With the LifeSpan Treadmill Desk, you’ll get a readout that lets you see how much progress you’ve made over the course of a day. The information displayed includes distance and time walked, calories burned, step count and belt speed adjustment. You can set the treadmill at a speed between 0.4 and 4 MPH.
- If you’re buying a treadmill desk, build is very important. You’ll need to look at the treadmill itself since walking for hours a day will put wear on it. LifeSpan is a respected name in treadmills, making this a brand you can trust. However, the standard build comes with plastic safety guard rails. You may want to pay a little more for the metal-rail upgrade.
- Standing desks also need to be built for durability. The VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk is built with the best materials to ensure it lasts. The company has multiple certifications for its desk to help assure you that you’re getting the best. You may find the keyboard tray shakes a little with this version, though. It also arcs out a little, which means it may stick out more than you want.
- The Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk has a sturdy build, as well. The entire finish is coated in silver-gray powder for enhanced durability.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation isn’t quite sturdy enough for the high price. You’ll find that it wobbles a little at times. It also has a smaller workspace area, limiting you to only the space you need for a keyboard and mouse.
- If you’re looking for a treadmill desk, keep noise levels in mind, especially if you plan to speak on the phone while you’re on it. The LifeSpan Treadmill Desk is quiet enough at the lower speeds that the person at the other end won’t even know you’re walking on it.
- One feature to prioritize while you’re looking is adjustability. You may be fine with setting up your standing desk in one position and leaving it. But if you plan to even occasionally sit, you’ll probably want an easy way to make that change. The Ergotron WorkFit-C Sit/Stand Workstation has the easiest adjusting mechanism, allowing you to both move it up and down and rotate the monitors as needed for the perfect fit.
- The VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk is easy to adjust, but it does make some noise while you’re moving it, including a loud clicking sound when you press the adjustment panels, as well as a squeak from the springs. With the Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk, you’ll find adjustment complicated, requiring you to unscrew parts to change the height. Even when you’re at the desired place, the seated position isn’t as comfortable as with other models.
- Treadmill desks aren’t generally designed with adjustment in mind. You can use the LifeSpan Treadmill Desk as a sitting desk, but if you do, you’ll probably find it takes a helper to move both the treadmill and the desk. If you try to do it alone, you’ll probably need to remove everything on it before you adjust it.
- With the VARIDESK ProPlus 36 Standing Desk’s PowerHub, you can make your desk more convenient for a small extra expense. This power strip allows you to plug all of your devices into one easy, discreet place.
- One issue you’ll find with standing desks is that it’s tough to get the monitor and keyboard at comfortable levels at the same time. The Stand Up Desk Store Mobile Ergonomic Stand Up Desk has a two-tier shelf that allows you to get your monitor and your keyboard at the perfect level.