Last updated date: February 5, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Hoverboards and dug through the reviews from 9 of the most popular review sites including Reviews.com, Digital Trends, BestReviews, Lifewire, Tech Gear Lab, Your Best Picks, Review Institute, The Self Balancing Scooters and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Hoverboard you should buy.
If you're looking for a hoverboard that can handle any terrain, the EPIKGO has you covered. It can easily go from dirt to pavement and back again, thanks to its larger wheels and powerful motors. You'll also get a hoverboard that contains a long-lasting battery and is certified as safe. In our analysis of 61 expert reviews, the EPIKGO EPIKGO Hoverboard placed 1st when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 15, 2019:
Checkout The Best Hoverboard for a detailed review of all the top hoverboards.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Introducing EPIKGO Classic Self Balance Board: EPIKGO is far from average, it's the next generation of electrical self-balancing board technology. Recently the hover balance board industry took the world by storm as it showed a new innovative form of transportation. Unfortunately, this new wave of technology came with a few issues of its own. EPIKGO recognized the problems and safety concerns in the industry and corrected them to develop the transportation of tomorrow for the generation of today. The EPIKGO has obtained the highest standard in regards to safety after successfully becoming UL 2272 Certified; assuring users that fire and electrical hazards are not a factor. Besides being safer, EPIKGO stands out because its durable build helps it tackle virtually any obstacle in its way. Travel through grass, mud, dirt and sand with this new device built to go anywhere and do more.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Hoverboards
“Back to the Future” predicted a time in which hoverboards would be an essential part of getting around, particularly for young people. But while hoverboards are widely available, they don’t exactly match the ones seen in science-fiction films of the past. Rather than hovering in the air slightly above the ground, they sport wheels that are in direct contact with the pavement, concrete and other ground types as you roll along.
Since they’re largely popular with younger consumers, safety is one of the top priorities for hoverboard manufacturers. Parents want to know that the product their children are using is 100 percent safe, especially since the early days of hoverboards were filled with stories of fires and explosions. If you’re looking for a hoverboard, it’s important to pay close attention to their safety certifications.
Once you’ve narrowed the field to the safest hoverboards, your next concern will likely be usability. Some hoverboards are better than others when it comes to climbing hills and traveling over various terrains. Even if your neighborhood is relatively flat, there may come a day when you want to take it on the road, so pay close attention to these limitations.
One thing many hoverboard buyers may not consider is battery life. You’ll have a limited range after each charge, which means you’ll only be able to travel so far before you need to return to recharge. You should also keep charging time in mind as well, especially if you’re dealing with impatient children who will be anxiously watching every second as they wait to get back out there.
As you shop for a hoverboard, there are many things to consider, many of which are based on your own personal uses for one. Know in advance whether you’ll be pushing it to its limits or idly riding it around your cul-de-sac. That will help you identify a hoverboard that works for all your own unique needs.
DYWM Fun Fact
Although the hoverboards you’ll find for sale have wheels, a Canadian company has created a version that actually glides above the ground. Omni Hoverboards use magnetic levitation technology to fly above a variety of surfaces, including water. The company behind the hoverboard is thinking beyond recreation though. They envision a future in which magnetic levitation technology could be used to improve public transportation. Although the devices aren’t yet ready for the consumer market, it’s estimated that they’ll retail for between $25,000 and $50,000. A competitor called the ArcaBoard is already available, but it takes six hours to recharge the battery, which then only lasts six minutes.
The Hoverboard Buying Guide
- Whether you plan to take your hoverboard off-roading or not, it’s comforting to know you can easily go anywhere. The EPIKGO hoverboard is the best all-terrain hoverboard, able to handle grass, pavement or any other surface you throw at it. It does this thanks to 400-watt dual motors and 30-percent larger wheels.
- If you’ll primarily be using your hoverboard on stable surfaces, like city sidewalks, a smooth ride may be more important. The TOMOLOO hoverboard offers a stable ride.
- Although the Segway MiniPro can be a little jerky at times, especially at lower speeds, it does let you use your knees instead of only your feet to steer. This adds an element of stability other hoverboards don’t have.
- When it comes to safety, it’s important to know exactly which features to consider. One area of safety is with the battery, which had issues in the early days of hoverboards. The EPIKGO, SwagTron, TOMOLOO and Segway MiniPro hoverboards all have Underwriter Laboratories safety certification on their batteries.
- The EPIKGO hoverboard passed 159 safety tests, with no fire hazards identified. The TOMOLOO hoverboard has a fire-retardant shell, protecting the unit itself in addition to the battery. One concern with the Segway MiniPro is that braking appears to be slower than with comparable units, which means there could be a higher possibility of an accident.
- Unfortunately, hoverboards have limited range due to the fact that they run on rechargeable batteries. Both the EPIKGO and Segway MiniPro hoverboards have especially long battery lives, with the EPIKGO’s battery lasting an hour, during which time you’ll be able to go more than 10 miles.
- You may not think water resistance matters, but consider the possibility that eventually you’ll be caught outside during an unexpected rainstorm. The EPIKGO and TOMOLOO hoverboards are both water resistant, giving you peace of mind of knowing you can handle some rain and the occasional puddle.