DeWalt Impact Driver Kit
Last updated date: August 31, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Impact Drivers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Impact Driver you should buy.
Update as August 21, 2019:
Checkout The Best Impact Driver for a detailed review of all the top impact drivers.
Anti-slip technology helps keep the DeWalt Impact Driver Kit firmly in your hand while you're working. You'll also get the choice of three speeds that you can adjust as needed during use. A brushless motor gives it plenty of power, and a 20-volt MAX XR battery provide longevity.
In our analysis of 49 expert reviews, the DeWalt Impact Driver Kit placed 1st when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The DCF887D2 20V MAX* XR® Brushless 1/4″ 3-Speed Impact Driver is compact for fitting in tight spaces and increasing productivity. Three LED lights make it ideal for working in the dark.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Impact Drivers
When a drill just won’t do the trick, it’s time to bring in the power of an impact driver. These high-torque tools are great for driving screws and tightening nuts quickly. Due to their high power, they can help you accomplish results quickly, allowing you to save time during big projects. You can also purchase an impact hammer that will help with fabrication projects.
Your first concern when you’re shopping for an impact driver will likely be power. Most impact drivers will give you plenty of power, but you’ll want to pay attention to the motor on the tool you choose since it plays an integral role. You should also look at speed control. Some impact drills have multiple speed settings to put you in control of how much power you’re delivering.
Be sure you don’t forget safety. Some impact drivers build in tools like anti-slip technology, which helps ensure your grip stays steady while you’re working. Stability is also important. Avoid impact drivers that wobble a little more than they should while you’re working. If you choose a tool with that issue, make sure you pay close attention to what you need to do to keep it in line.
As with any cordless power tool, battery life is essential. Look for an impact driver that runs on Lithium-ion batteries to ensure you get longevity, both with each session and with the length of time it will last before needing to be replaced. You should also make sure batteries are included with your purchase, so you’ll be prepared with battery on hand if one isn’t included.
One final, very important feature is comfort. You’ll likely be holding your impact driver over a period of time that can become uncomfortable if you choose the wrong one. Search for a tool that features ergonomic design and a grip that doesn’t make it easy to slip while you’re working. This not only helps with comfort, but it also keeps you safe.
The Impact Driver Buying Guide
- Safety is always a concern with power tools. The Dewalt Impact Driver Kit is built with anti-slip technology that helps you keep a grip on it while you’re working. The Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit can sometimes be a bit wobbly, so it’s important to make sure you use it properly. You may also find that the resistance moves while you’re drilling.
- Constantly stopping to adjust the amount of power going to your driver will slow you down. The Dewalt Impact Driver Kit has three speeds that you can easily adjust while you’re working. The Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit offers two speeds: 0-450 RPM and 1,500 RPM.
- Power determines how well your driver works. While you’ll get great results from most impact drivers, the Dewalt Impact Driver Kit is built with a brushless motor, while the Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit has a high-torque motor and a high-performance transmission.
- As with other cordless power tools, impact drivers rely on a battery to give them power. The Dewalt Impact Driver Kit has a 20-volt MAX XR battery that offers not only longer runtime, but also quicker charging than competitors. The Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver is one of the company’s products that uses Ryobi’s improved One+ battery.
- One feature the Dewalt Impact Driver Kit and Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit have that others don’t is a battery indicator. This lets you know just how much runtime you have remaining so you don’t end up with an unpleasant surprise.
- With some models, you’ll have to purchase your battery separately. The Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit and Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit come with batteries.
- It’s important to look for Lithium-Ion technology in your batteries to get faster charging and longevity. The Dewalt Impact Driver Kit, Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver, Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit and Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit all run on Lithium-Ion batteries.
- The Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit’s batteries are spring-loaded, helping keep them in place.
- If you’re looking for an extremely affordable impact driver, consider the Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver, which you can get for less than $50. But the Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit is available for less than $150, and the Dewalt Impact Driver Kit and Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit can each be found for less than $200.
- You may not think about it until you start using it, but the LED lights on some impact drivers can come in handy. They illuminate the area just in front of it. The Dewalt Impact Driver Kit and Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit both light up within 20 seconds of pulling the trigger, while the three LED lights on the Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver lights up with the pull of the trigger.
- During those longer work sessions, gripping your driver can get uncomfortable. The Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver is built for comfort with an ergonomic design.
- No matter what the design of your power tool, weight will make it less comfortable. The Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver and Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit feature lightweight designs at 2.6 pounds and 2.8 pounds, respectively. The Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit is a bit heavier at 3.2 pounds.
- The Ryobi Cordless Impact Driver features tool-free bit changing. When it’s time to change bits, you just plug a bit into the chuck and lock it in. To remove it, you’ll pull the collar back, and it will pop right out. The Dewalt Impact Driver Combo Kit’s bits can be changed using only one hand.
- The Porter Cable Impact Driver Kit’s durability is impressive. The bits remain in place even when you shake it.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide