Desired Tools Combination Padlock
Last updated date: June 11, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Lightweight Padlocks and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Lightweight Padlock you should buy.
Editor's Note June 11, 2020:
Checkout The Best Lightweight Padlock for a detailed review of all the top lightweight padlocks.
There's no need to worry about losing your key, as this padlock simply requires you to memorize a four-digit code. This lightweight padlock is safe to use in all weather conditions, which means you can use it on your fence or to secure your bicycle to a bicycle rack.
In our analysis of 22 expert reviews, the Desired Tools Desired Tools Combination Padlock placed 1st when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Made of weatherproof zinc alloy and plated steel and is suited for: Gym/Sports, school & employee locker, cases, hasps and general storage. Setting or re-setting your own combination is simple and straight forward. Please see the size of the product by viewing the images on the top left of the page.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Home Improvement Expert
Vicki Liston writes, produces, and narrates “On The Fly…DIY,” an award-winning home improvement and DIY show of unique project tutorials for the casual DIY’er.
Home improvement and all things DIY have been Liston’s passion since she bought her first house in 2007 and she started making video blogs in 2014. She’s performed hundreds of DIY projects, from small ones to major, wall-smashing renovations and can teach you how to make a trendy DIY barn door for cheap. The proceeds earned from “On The Fly…DIY” are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. You can find her show on Prime Video.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Lightweight Padlocks
With the theft of private property on the rise in college campuses and other locations, it’s more important than ever to protect your belongings with a padlock.
But as home expert Vicki Liston points out, you may not always need a heavy-duty padlock to lock up your stuff.
“Lightweight padlocks can still provide some peace of mind as you lock up, say, a gym locker or a bike for a short period of time,” she said.
When shopping for a lightweight padlock, you must first decide if you need to use the lock indoors or outdoors.
“Make sure your lightweight padlock is up to withstanding its environment if you plan on using it outdoors,” recommends Liston. “If it will be exposed to the elements, it should be weather and moisture-resistant, so its locking mechanism doesn’t suffer as a result of corrosion and rust damage.”
You’ll also need to determine whether a combination padlock or a key-operated padlock is best. Combination locks are an excellent choice if you tend to forget where you leave your keys, however, Liston notes that key locks “have proven to be the most resilient in impact tests.”
If you opt for a key lock, pay attention to how many locking pins are used. You’ll also want to check that the lock has dual locking levers, as these are harder to pry apart.
“Padlocks with four pins are harder to pick than their three-pin counterparts,” says Liston.
Look for any extra features that the lightweight padlock may have to offer. For example, locks that are designed for use on a gym locker may come with non-slip grips on the sides and bottom of the lock.
The Lightweight Padlock Buying Guide
- Sometimes a padlock’s combination can be difficult to reset. You’ll want to make sure the company has a customer service team that is known for being helpful when technical difficulties arise.
- Liston says, “Smart locks have recently come on the scene; however, I would discourage their usage simply because of their uniqueness. While this type of lock employs the convenience of your smartphone to open, it will also catch attention. With a much loftier price tag, you may find your padlock to be the focus of a thief and not the potential items being protected by this cool piece of technology.”
- Some locks are available in a variety of colors. Check to see whether the company randomly assigns those colors or whether you are given the opportunity to pick the color yourself.
- “Padlocks with digit or word-dials pose a risk of being easily opened,” warns Liston. “If the manufacturer of your digit dial lock has directions posted on their website for how to reset the code, your thief won’t need to struggle with incorrect guesses.”
- Liston recommends “mindfully resetting all dials to their ‘home’ or ‘zero’ position, as this is an indicator to a burglar that your lock won’t be a quick pick.”
- When it comes to the cost of lightweight padlocks, you’ll find that key locks tend to cost less than combination locks. Size also plays a role in price. The Desired Tools Combination Padlock is larger than some others, and therefore, costs a little more.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide