Delta Steel Frame Band Saw
Last updated date: April 29, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Band Saws and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Band Saw you should buy.
Update as June 3, 2019:
Checkout The Best Band Saw for a detailed review of all the top band saws.
In our analysis of 101 expert reviews, the Delta Steel Frame Band Saw placed 8th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
14-inch 1HP Steel Frame Band Saw. @ speeds for added convenience, Heavy Duty Steel Frame Construction. All Ball Bearing upper and lower Guides. 2 Durable aluminum, rubber tireed, 9 spoke precision balanced wheels for superior blade tracking. Dust brush on lower wheel keeps blades clean; poly v-belt drive for smooth operation. Over sized table 15 3/4-Inch by 18 7/8-Inch precision ground cast iron; 4-Inch intregral dust port. Takes a standard 93 1/2-Inch blade.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Band Saws
A band saw is a multi-part tool, involving a stand and work table. If you’re ready to tackle some heavy-duty projects that require cutting wood or metal, this is the tool for you. But choosing the right band saw can be challenging, with so many features typically factoring into your decision.
The first thing you’ll take note of while shopping is the build of the band saw. You’ll be putting the tool through some challenges, so it’s important to choose a band saw with some durability. Build also plays into some ease-of-use issues, including whether the saw vibrates while you’re working. Excess vibration can make it tough to work for long periods of time, as well as impacting how safe the work area is. Some band saws are also designed in a way that cuts down on noise, which can be helpful if you’re working with neighbors nearby.
As for the pricing of various models, it’s important to note what’s included with each band saw. Some come with tables and others don’t, and some come with essential accessories, like a fence or a miter gauge. If you have to buy any of these items separately, it will push up the price, so make sure you factor that in from the start.
If your band saw comes with a table, pay close attention to its build. You’ll be given a very specific workspace measurement, and this is the area you’ll have to work with as you cut various items. Some tables also tilt, making it easier to cut at an angle. You may never use this feature, but it’s handy to have in case you ever need it.
The blade is a very important element in a band saw. You’ll need one with a good blade, but precise cuts rely heavily on tensioning. Some band saws make it easy to adjust that tensioning, providing a knob that simply requires a firm twist. You’ll also find that some allow you to adjust the tension in a way that allows for more precise cuts.
Portability is another consideration. The very thing that makes a band saw so sturdy and reliable makes it also tough to move around. If you plan to set your tool up and never move it, that won’t be as much an issue. If you need to take it from one place to another, though, a cordless band saw or one that is lighter in weight may be a better choice.
The Band Saw Buying Guide
- The first thing to look at when shopping for a band saw is build. The iron frame on the JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit means it can withstand even the biggest projects. Ball bearing guides cut down on friction to help you make precision cuts easily. It also comes with two stamped metal feet to keep the band saw stable while you’re working.
- The Rikon Bandsaw With Fence features a solid steel frame that keeps it in top condition through even your most intense projects.
- The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw is built with steel and aluminum among other impressive metals. It’s not only built for power and stability, but it also resists kickback to keep you safe. The gears and ball bearings are made from stainless steel to provide smooth, reliable performance.
- The DEWALT 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw is dramatically different from other band saws in that it’s cordless. It runs on a 20-volt lithium-ion battery. You may find that it doesn’t have the power you get from a corded version, but being cordless does offer more portability. Its cutting capacity is 5 X 4¾ inches for rectangular objects and 4¾ inches for round and square objects.
- One nuisance with a band saw is vibration and shaking. This can make it difficult to work, reducing the stability and putting your safety at risk. The high-end motor in the JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit keeps vibrations at bay, as does the Rikon Bandsaw With Fence.
- Although all band saws will make some noise while in use, you can cut down on the noise by going with the JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit or Rikon Bandsaw With Fence. You’ll still hear the motors in these saws, but the noise won’t be excessive.
- Most band saws come with a table, and the build of that table plays an important role in the overall usability of any saw you choose. The JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit comes with a 15 X 15-inch work table that can tilt 10 degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right. Being able to tilt your table means you can achieve angles that wouldn’t have been as doable otherwise. The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw has a 14 X 12½-inch work table that can tilt up to 45 degrees. The Rikon Bandsaw With Fence has a cast-iron table that provides a 13 ¾ x 12 ½-inch work area. Although the build is a plus with this one, you won’t get the tilt you get with other tables.
- A good fence is essential to making those precise cuts. Unfortunately, not all band saws come with a fence, even when you see one pictured on the product description site. The Rikon Bandsaw With Fence and WEN Two-Speed Band Saw both come with a fence.
- Another product you’ll need to purchase if it’s sold separately is a miter gauge. The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw comes with a miter gauge, in addition to the fence. With other saws, you’ll have to purchase one.
- Band saws vary widely in price, so take a close look at features to make sure you’re getting value for the extra expense. The JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit is by far the most expensive, retailing for more than $1,000. On the low end are the Rikon Bandsaw With Fence and WEN Two-Speed Band Saw, which can both be found for less than $300. Considering it doesn’t come with a work table, the DEWALT 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw is a bit expensive, with a price tag that tops $300.
- The blade plays an important role in how well a band saw performs. The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw can take on some types of wood that are too much for other band saws, thanks in part to a 1¾-inch throat.
- Band saw blades need to be stretched as tightly as possible in order to do a good job, so tensioning controls are essential when you’re shopping for a band saw. The JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit has a tension coil design to provide cutting depth that wows. You’ll also find you can cut at a specific angle more easily with this model. One of the best things about the Rikon Bandsaw With Fence’s tensioning is a built-in knob that makes it easy to adjust. The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw’s tension knob tends to be on the flimsy side.
- Occasionally, you’ll have to change your band saw’s blades, and some are much easier to change than others. The JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit has ball bearing guides and yellow marks on the tires to make it easier to see the blade while switching it out. With the DEWALT 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw, you’ll need to double-check to make sure you’re ordering the right blade since it has to be a very specific size.
- Chances are, you’ll set your band saw up and never move it. But if you do need something that can travel with you, consider the DEWALT 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw, which is not only cordless but weighs only 15.79 pounds. The WEN Two-Speed Band Saw, at 73 pounds, and Rikon Bandsaw With Fence, at 79 pounds, are both maneuverable. But the 258-pound JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit is designed for those who plan to set a band saw up and leave it there.
- A light can be a huge help, especially if you’re working in poorly-lit areas. The DEWALT 20V Max Deep Cut Band Saw’s LED light automatically snaps on, following a 20-second delay, to light up the work area. You’ll also get an LED light with the WEN Two-Speed Band Saw.
- The blade-tracking window on the JET 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit lets you monitor your blade for more precise cuts. You’ll also get a blade guidepost that helps with rack and pinion adjustment. When combined with safety features, like quick-release blade tension and a retractable blade guard, the extras may make the extra expense worth it for some.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide