Nestle Nespresso Essenza Compact Lightweight Espresso Machine
Last updated date: January 7, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Espresso Machines and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Espresso Machine you should buy.
Update as January 7, 2022:
Checkout The Best Espresso Machine for a detailed review of all the top espresso machines.
With just the touch of one button, you'll have a delicious cup of coffee in your hands in 30 seconds. The espresso machine is powerful, with 19 bars of pressure, and adjustable, with two available cup sizes. The unit also has an energy-saving mode button that will automatically turn the machine off after 9 minutes of non-use.
In our analysis of 60 expert reviews, the Nestle Nespresso Essenza Compact Lightweight Espresso Machine placed 10th when we looked at the top 22 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
With Essenza Mini, Nespresso and De’Longhi have delivered the most compact machine yet – without any compromise on taste. Offering 2 programmable cup sizes. The Essenza Mini machine creates perfect coffee just the way you like it. Choose from 3 colors to fit your style and space. It’s the small machine that opens up the whole world of Nespresso Coffee.Performance: Create a barista-style coffee or espresso drinks every time, thanks to our one-touch operation and extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure. Size: Discover the newest and smallest ever single-serve espresso maker from Nespresso by De’Longhi, without compromising on exceptional coffee and espresso moments. This compact espresso machine is effortlessly portable and features a sleek design and modern smooth lines, allowing it to fit into anywhere saving valuable counter space. Energy efficient coffee machine: In just one touch, the water reaches the ideal serving temperature in under 30 seconds and an energy saving mode automatically switches off the machine after 9 minutes. Complimentary gift: Each espresso machine includes a Nespresso original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profiles. Input power (W): 1150 Versatility: Adjustable cup size with two programmable espresso (1.35 ounce) and Lungo (5 ounce) buttons making Essenza Mini a great coffee maker for all you single-serve coffee needs. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Espresso Machines
A good cup of coffee goes beyond merely helping you wake up in the morning. For many, it’s an indulgence. Whether you rush through the Starbucks drive-thru on the way to work or meet up with friends once a week at your favorite indie coffee shop, few things can compare to the taste of a freshly-brewed gourmet cup of coffee.
But high-end coffee doesn’t have to come from a café. There are now espresso machines on the market that will brew up that perfect cup of coffee in your very own kitchen.
“A high-quality espresso machine is going to be an investment, but if you are using it once or twice a day, the savings really add up,” notes our resident kitchen expert Julie Chernoff, member of Les Dames d’Escoffier, dining editor of Better magazine and food journalist. “Think about how much money you’ve shelled out to Starbucks over the years!”
But espresso machines vary just as much in features as they do in price. It can feel overwhelming as you read up on these seemingly complicated machines, but they’re generally built to be easy to use.
One thing to think about as you consider espresso machines is whether you want the beautiful latte art you see at your favorite coffee shop. The key to creating hearts and other random shapes is in the steam wand, which you can buy separately. However, some espresso makers include an attached wand, which will keep it all in one place. You’ll still need to practice to keep up with professionals, but at least you’ll have the tools necessary to get started.
Price is also a consideration. You can find a bare-bones espresso machine that’s very affordable or splurge on a top-of-the-line model. The goal should be to find the espresso maker that fits your own preferences and decide if the extras are worth spending more.
“The most important question is, will you use it consistently?” Chernoff says. “If this is your first espresso machine, I might recommend starting with a smaller unit to get the hang of it and see what kind of usage it gets before committing to one of the more professional machines.”
Among the features that are most important to coffee lovers is the ability to control the beverage that comes out. Some machines will allow you to adjust the strength of the shot in each cup, while others build in temperature control to give you precisely the warmth you need. If you want to make specialized drinks like cappuccinos and macchiatos, you’ll need to look for a machine that offers that feature as well. Additionally, note whether the machine in question offers the capacity you want, so it doesn’t feel like you’re always having to refill the water.
Once you’ve squared away the functionality of an appliance, you’ll need to think about how it fits with your own home décor. In general, espresso makers can be fairly large, so make sure you measure the counter space and choose one that fits. You should also consider the color and style of the espresso machine and select a model that matches your existing design aesthetic. After you’ve taken all these factors into consideration, you’ll be able to narrow it down to the perfect espresso maker to fit your own needs.
The Espresso Machine Buying Guide
- Espresso machines can require a bit of a learning curve, especially if you’re used to one-cup coffeemakers. But there are some machines that are better for novices.
- Some espresso machines are a bit tougher to use, so you may need to keep the user manual close by while you get the hang of things.
- The feature that makes the biggest difference is one you likely won’t see. Behind the scenes, your espresso maker will use a unique setup to provide delicious coffee. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine has a purge function to automatically adjust the water temperature. This ensures that when the espresso is extracted, it’s at the perfect temperature.
- Unlike a basic coffee maker, you’ll need a few accessories to make delicious-tasting espresso. Some products offer the accessories and save you the effort of finding them on your own, which also adds to the value of those machines.
- One important element in making beautiful café-style beverages is the steam wand. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine has a steam wand built-in. You can start practicing your latte art right away.
- It’s important to note that the velvety texture you find at cafés doesn’t come easily. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine builds special technology into its steam wand to draw in air, creating bubbles. This is essential to helping you create latte art fit for your Instagram feed.
- If your espresso machine of choice doesn’t come with a steam wand, never fear. You can buy one separately for an affordable price.
- If you own a coffeepot already, you know the convenience of auto shut-off. Look for a machine that offers this feature if you think you’ll need it.
- Chances are, you don’t want to waste valuable time cleaning your machine every morning. For those deeper periodic cleanings, you can remove the brewing chamber and run it directly under a faucet.
- Sometimes you need a stronger shot than others. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine lets you program the shot volume and choose between one or two cups at the touch of a button. It features five different settings that include allowing you to adjust the temperature of your beverage.
- Although the delicious concoctions you’ll make are the most important thing, this is an appliance that will become an important part of your kitchen aesthetic. Some units come in multiple colors like stainless steel with black, stainless steel with cranberry red or full stainless steel. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine is stainless steel.
- Counter space is probably a concern, especially since any espresso machine you buy will take up more space than a traditional coffeepot. Make sure you measure the space before you buy and find the appliance that works best for your own kitchen.
- Cost can vary dramatically from one espresso machine to another. Either way, you’re sure to find an espresso maker that fits your budget.
- The key to truly delicious coffee is the freshness of the beans. You can purchase a separate coffee grinder, but that takes up additional counter space and costs extra. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine’s built-in coffee grinder delivers the perfect amount of grounds to the portafilter to make sure you have a fresh cup each time.
- You don’t have to be a master chef to make delicious coffee. The Breville Barista Espresso Machine uses temperature control technology to make sure every brew is just right.
- Think beyond espressos and lattes. With some models, you can make cappuccinos, macchiatos and more.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide