Deer Out Critter Out Deer, Mouse & Rat Repellent, 1-Gallon
Last updated date: August 20, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Deer Out and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Deer Out you should buy.
In our analysis of 8 expert reviews, the Deer Out Deer Out Critter Out Deer, Mouse & Rat Repellent, 1-Gallon placed 6th when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 10, 2020:
Checkout The Best Deer Out for a detailed review of all the top deer out.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
A. LaTorre’s Critter Out is a dual deterrent and repellent working both by smell and taste. There are 5 different essential oils and various other ingredients that combined create a very strong citrus and spice menthol-burning sensation that these rats, mice and other rodents are completely repulsed and irritated by. Their sense of smell is 1000 times greater than humans. But even long after we humans can’t smell it anymore, it’s still too strong for them. No need to worry though, it won’t harm them, but it will drive them away and stop them from chewing and gnawing around your home and garden area. Critter Out can be effectively applied in and around your home. Including basements, cabinets, closets, decks, sheds, attics, crawl spaces, patios, garbage cans, cabins, boathouses, barns, RV campers, campsites, picnic areas, car tires, engine compartment hoses & wiring, nesting areas, holes near sidewalks and foundations, vegetable gardens, flower beds, and any other surface where rodent activity is evident.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Deer Out
While deer are absolutely beautiful creatures, they can cause some serious damage to the flowers and shrubs in your backyard. The best way to handle the situation is to use Deer Out to repel the deer. This brand of repellent uses only all-natural ingredients, so it won’t harm any critters that make their way on to your property.
Deer Out is designed to work in two ways. First, the formula’s fresh mint scent (that is pleasant to humans) is actually undesirable to deer. Second, should the deer decide to take a chance and bite down on your shrub, it will taste the repellent, find it unappetizing and spit it right back out.
Every bottle of Deer Out is formulated with gum arabic and hydrogenated vegetable oil. These natural ingredients are what allow the spray to stick to your plants, flowers and shrubs. They keep the repellent from washing away during a rain shower, so you don’t have to reapply.
When selecting which Deer Out bottle to purchase, you need to consider the area you have to cover. Smaller bottles cover approximately 4,000 square feet of land, while larger bottles can handle a 40,000 square foot space.
DWYM Fun Fact
Deer Out is family-owned and headquartered in South Plainfield, New Jersey. They sell a line of repellents to keep pests out without causing the pests any harm. In addition to deer repellent, the company also offers rabbit repellent and critter repellent, which works on rats, mice, raccoons, opossums, squirrels and chipmunks.
The Deer Out Buying Guide
- While the Deer Out has a pleasant scent, many reviewers comment about how strong the odor is, which may be bothersome to sensitive individuals.
- Never apply Deer Out to edible fruits and vegetables.
- You’ll need to reapply the Deer Out about every three months to continue repelling the deer. The company also recommends applying the spray to any new growth, even if it hasn’t been three months yet.
- Before using the Deer Out, it is recommended that you give the bottle a vigorous shake.
- If you need to use the Deer Out in a large area, you may wish to mix the concentrate and recommended amount of water in a pump or backpack sprayer. This will make it easier to coat your vegetation with the repellent.
- Make sure you thoroughly coat the shrubs, trees, plants and flowers that you don’t want the deer to touch. To be effective you need to coat the top and bottom of the vegetation.
- Deer Out is safe to use around children and pets.
- In addition to deer, Deer Out also repels elk and moose.
- When comparing the price for different bottles of Deer Out, you need to determine how much the product costs per ounce. Additionally, it’s important to look at whether the product comes in concentrate or ready-to-use form. Although the Deer Out Ready-To-Use Deer Repellent, 1-Gallon Refill is less per ounce than the Deer Out Deer Repellent Concentrate, 1-Gallon, it’s cheaper because it’s in ready-to-use form. However, you’ll need to replace it much quicker than the concentrate, which makes the concentrate a better buy in the long run. Buying in bulk also adds savings. The Deer Out 32-Ounce Concentrate Deer Repellent, 2-Pack is slightly cheaper than the Deer Out 32-Ounce Concentrate Deer Repellent, as it comes with two bottles instead of one.