DALSTRONG Slicing & Carving Knife
Last updated date: October 22, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Carving Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Carving Knife you should buy.
Update as October 22, 2020:
Checkout The Best Carving Knife for a detailed review of all the top carving knives.
The DALSTRONG Slicing & Carving Knife is built to last, featuring a scalpel-like edge that will hold up through numerous cuts. You can tackle a wide range of foods, including briskets, roasts and fruits and vegetables. A lifetime warranty will give you even more confidence that your knife will be there for you.
In our analysis of 83 expert reviews, the DALSTRONG Slicing & Carving Knife placed 5th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
dalstrong chef knife shogun series spanish meat ham slicer carving slicing japanese aus-10v steel THE DALSTRONG SHOGUN SERIES dalstrong chef knife professional shogun series crixus chef-cleaver hybrid knife chopping butcher AT THE CUTTING EDGE OF BEAUTY AND PERFORMANCE Put a lion in your hands! The Shogun Series of knives are what careers are built on. Painstakingly crafted over 60 days using the highest quality materials, the Shogun Series chef is both a razor-sharp kitchen powerhouse and artistic statement in premium design and workmanship. The Shogun Series blade is precision forged from a single piece of ultra premium Japanese high-carbon AUS-10V steel with 67-alternating layers of SUS410 damasucs cladding for stain-resistance and durability. Precise cryogenic tempering with liquid nitrogen increases the steel's crystalline structure, enhancing strength, flexibility and hardness. Hand-polishing reveals a magnificent visual pattern, Dalstrong’s ‘Tsunami Rose’. The super-steel core possesses extra high carbon levels, allowing for scalpel-like sharpness with exceptionally long lasting edge retention. Each knife is hand-finished in the Honbazuke 3-step method, creating a beautiful mirror polished edge at a staggeringly acute 10 degrees per side. Beautifully engraved into the blade near the bolster is the Dalstrong lionhead logo for further refinement. The Shogun Series handle is meticulously constructed of G-10 Garolite, an incredibly strong military-grade inert and non-porous fiberglass-like material. It is highly impervious to both heat and moisture with life-long durability. The carefully engineered ergonomic handle is designed for superior hand control and comfort. while simultaneously being stabilized with an engraved end-cap for agile performance. To further enhance the beauty, an intricate copper mosaic pin adorns the center rivet. A premium -quality polymer Dalstrong PerfectFit saya (sheath) with embossed Dalstrong logo and pin is included with the set to ensure your blade is carefully protected. The Dalstrong Shogun Series 14" Extra-Long Slicing & Carving Knife dalstrong, chef, knife, professional, shogun series, slicer, carver, 14", high carbon japanese steel Supreme function meets stunning elegance. The Shogun Series 14” Extra-long slicer checks all the boxes when it comes to all of your larger slicing needs. This lengthy blade offers surprising versatility and is suitable for a variety of tasks, including carving roasts, slicing BBQ, shawarma, salmon, prepping large fruits and vegetables such as squash, pumpkin and watermelon, as well as slicing bread loaves and layer cakes. This uniquely designed slicer features a slightly curved belly, and a more narrow tip, affording unexpected maneuverability for the length. Create beautifully long, thin, uniform slices without tearing or shredding in one easy, single stroke. Included: Shogun Series 14" Extra-Long Slicing & Carving Knife PerfectFit Dalstrong Sheath Neatly Packed with Dalstrong’s Renowned Packaging Dalstrong Support FEATURES & BENEFITS dalstrong, chef, knife, professional, shogun series, slicer, carver, 14", high carbon japanese steel THE SHOGUN SERIES HANDLE Military grade G10 handle for life-long durability Highly impervious to heat, cold and moisture Ergonomic handle for superior hand control, agility and comfort Non-slip grip Engraved end cap for further distinction Intricate copper mosaic enhances beauty dalstrong, chef, knife, professional, shogun series, slicer, carver, 14", high carbon japanese steel THE SHOGUN SERIES BLADE Scalpel like sharpness at a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side. Sail through culinary challenges. Incredible Edge Retention at 62+ Rockwell. Cut longer, go further. AUS-10V Japanese super steel core. The ultimate steel for the ultimate performance. 67-Layered Damascus sharpened under the ancient 3-step Honbazuke method and married to bleeding edge technology. Tapered bolster provides a perfect ‘zero-balance’ balance, finger protection and gently encourages a natural and comfortable pinch grip Rust/Corrosion resistant cladding means your knife will stay cleaner and last longer Hand-polished spine enhances comfort across very grips Featuring Dalstrong’s exquisite Shogun Series Tsunami Rose blade pattern, for striking, stand out beauty. Full tang - maximum robustness. This knife is built to last a lifetime. Triple riveted - even further resilience. Beautifully engraved. Performance and looks. Tapered blade for minimal slicing resistance and non-stick properties Cleans easily Precise cryogenic tempering increases the steel’s crystalline structure, enhancing, strength, flexibility and hardness THE DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE dalstrong, chef, knife, professional, shogun series, slicer, carver, 14", high carbon japanese steel Over Two-Hundred & Fifty Thousand Chef's Have Switched to Dalstrong From executive chefs to home chefs and everyone in between, Dalstrong Chefs are treated like family. Over two-hundred & fifty thousand chefs have switched to Dalstrong for our superior quality, unconditional support, and loyal community. It may be cliche, but we truly care about you and the blades and products we painstakingly design and develop. From the tiniest packaging detail, to hundreds of hours of design and testing, each knife is a work of love, dedication and expert craftsmanship. We proudly believe we are the fastest growing knife company for a reason. Dalstrong supports you, our chefs, everyday and in every way we can. Your Dalstrong knives work alongside you, day in and day out, making you more effective, creative, and precise in the kitchen; delivering plates you can feel proud to present. These are knives to build a career on, and tens of thousands of professional chefs have done just that. From cooking competitions (Dalstrong supports chefs across the country building their reputation), to charitable events (we donate knives to those in need with culinary aspirations), Dalstrong loves the community, loves chefs, and the men and women who prepare food for us all each and everyday. From the heat of the professional kitchen to a simple meal for one, Dalstrong stands beside you every step of the way. #dalstrong
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Carving Knives
If you spend any time at all in the kitchen, you know the value of a good carving knife. A good blade means every cut will be precise and effective. A bad blade forces you to saw your way through the items you’re preparing, which can be both time-consuming and dangerous. Although you can sharpen a dull blade, some blades sharpen more easily than others, and some simply don’t need to be sharpened quite as often.
What is the difference between a carver and a slicer? According to our expert Julie Chernoff, the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine, the not-so-simple answer is that the terms are virtually interchangeable in the industry. “They both have long, thin, narrow blades with pointy tips. Unlike the thicker chef’s knife blade, the thin knife has less resistance when cutting back and forth through the meat,” Chernoff says. “That’s important for a carving — or slicing, depending on the manufacturer — knife, because you want the consistency of even, thin slices of meat.”
There are quite a few things to consider when you’re in the market for a new carving knife. One is the material used to make the blade. You’ll find many top blades feature stainless-steel construction, which tends to hold its sharpness longer than other types of blades. However, stainless steel is tougher to sharpen when you do get to the point where you have to give it a refresh. Another type of blade is made from high carbon, which is easier to sharpen. The tradeoff on that, though, is that it needs sharpening more often.
When your knife isn’t in use, you’ll need to be able to safely store it. Some knives come with sheath guards, which are available in a variety of builds. But even if your chosen knife doesn’t come with one, you can buy it separately. Make sure the knife you select has a cover available unless you have other plans to store it.
Ergonomics are also important when you’re choosing a knife. It can be easy to spend most of your time researching the blade itself, but the handle is important, as well. Look for a knife with a handle that you can grip comfortably for the time it will typically take to prepare food. If it has an anti-slip grip, it’s especially valuable. A well-designed knife handle not only makes the process more enjoyable for you, but it also helps keep you safe.
The Carving Knife Buying Guide
- The build of your carving knife will determine how it performs. Stainless steel knives, like the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife and the Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer, resist rust even when you don’t allow them to fully dry before putting them away.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is made from Japanese high-carbon steel to keep stains at bay and hold up through years of use.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is cooled using precise cryogenic tempering with liquid nitrogen to strengthen it.
- Blade sharpness factors heavily into how well your knife performs. The ultra-sharp blade on the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife allows it to slice right through a wide variety of meats. It’s also a long blade, which is perfect for large cuts of meat like roasts.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife has a scalpel-like edge to ensure the blade retains its sharpness through many cuts.
- The Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer has a Japanese steel blade designed for making thin cuts of meat. If accuracy is a goal, this is the perfect knife, as its 17-degree bevel promotes thin, straight lines.
- There are knives that are specifically designed for those making homemade beef jerky, which means they come with a uniquely dimpled blade. Although you can execute other cuts using this knife, if you don’t make homemade beef jerky, this might be one to skip.
- The last thing you need when you’re preparing a meal is a knife with a handle that starts rubbing your hand the wrong way. The ergonomic handle of the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife balances your weight as you cut to keep you both safe and comfortable. The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife also has an ergonomic handle shape, as does the Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer. The Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer also builds in slip resistance and a protective finger guard for an additional layer of safety.
- Before you buy, make sure your chosen knife will be able to tackle all the food types you plan to make. The MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife will probably be the most useful for everyday use. The 11-inch blade can handle turkey and chicken, as well as pork loins, brisket, vegetables and fruits. The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is also versatile, handling roasts, barbecue and salmon as well as fruits and vegetables.
- Although it’s generally advised to hand wash your knives, some can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Keep in mind that even though these knives can be placed in the dishwasher, the life of the steel itself is shortened by doing so.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide