Dalstrong Quantum 1 Series High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife
Last updated date: October 22, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Carving Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Carving Knife you should buy.
Editor's Note October 22, 2020:
Checkout The Best Carving Knife for a detailed review of all the top carving knives.
You won't need strong arm muscles to use this carving knife, as it effortless cuts through even the toughest meats. The knife is constructed from an ultra-premium hyper-steel that won't bend, rust or retain odors. The G10-carbon fibre hybrid handle is also designed to impress by providing an anti-slip grip in both wet and dry conditions.
In our analysis of 83 expert reviews, the Dalstrong Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife placed 3rd when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Dalstrong Quantum 1 Series of knives are apex predators within the culinary world and feature state-of-the-art technology. Strikingly sharp and painstakingly honed by expert craftsmen to 8-12°, this one-of-a-kind series has been carefully engineered for exceptional edge-retention, hyper-precision, and to deliver the cleanest and most effortless cuts. Precisely tapered, the blade geometry ensures the perfect balance between resilience and performance, while minimizing drag. Featuring ultra-premium American made BD1N-VX hyper-steel, and added vacuum heat-treatment boast 63 HRC. A Nitrogen treatment further increases hardness, flexibility, and toughness of your blade. Gorgeously laminated and hot forged with the head-turning “Nova Prime” pattern—uniquely designed to reduce drag and stuck on food. The powerfully designed Dragon Skin G10-carbon fibre hybrid handle reminds you this is no ordinary knife, offering you exceptional reliability and grip while being near impervious to heat, cold, and moisture. The Quantum 1 Series is sure to deliver the thrills and performance you need in your kitchen, with all the quality and craftsmanship you expect from Dalstrong. A black PU leather sheath, with matching carbon fibre detailing and refined Dalstrong button clip is included to ensure the blades stylish protection and your own safety. The epitome of culinary magnificence, the Dalstrong Quantum 1 Series of knives are ushering in a new era of culinary adventure with you in total control. See why thousands of professional chefs and home cooks love and trust the DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE. 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free, we know you'll love it!
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Carving Knives
If you spend any time at all in the kitchen, you know the value of a good carving knife. A good blade means every cut will be precise and effective. A bad blade forces you to saw your way through the items you’re preparing, which can be both time-consuming and dangerous. Although you can sharpen a dull blade, some blades sharpen more easily than others, and some simply don’t need to be sharpened quite as often.
What is the difference between a carver and a slicer? According to our expert Julie Chernoff, the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine, the not-so-simple answer is that the terms are virtually interchangeable in the industry. “They both have long, thin, narrow blades with pointy tips. Unlike the thicker chef’s knife blade, the thin knife has less resistance when cutting back and forth through the meat,” Chernoff says. “That’s important for a carving — or slicing, depending on the manufacturer — knife, because you want the consistency of even, thin slices of meat.”
There are quite a few things to consider when you’re in the market for a new carving knife. One is the material used to make the blade. You’ll find many top blades feature stainless-steel construction, which tends to hold its sharpness longer than other types of blades. However, stainless steel is tougher to sharpen when you do get to the point where you have to give it a refresh. Another type of blade is made from high carbon, which is easier to sharpen. The tradeoff on that, though, is that it needs sharpening more often.
When your knife isn’t in use, you’ll need to be able to safely store it. Some knives come with sheath guards, which are available in a variety of builds. But even if your chosen knife doesn’t come with one, you can buy it separately. Make sure the knife you select has a cover available unless you have other plans to store it.
Ergonomics are also important when you’re choosing a knife. It can be easy to spend most of your time researching the blade itself, but the handle is important, as well. Look for a knife with a handle that you can grip comfortably for the time it will typically take to prepare food. If it has an anti-slip grip, it’s especially valuable. A well-designed knife handle not only makes the process more enjoyable for you, but it also helps keep you safe.
The Carving Knife Buying Guide
- The build of your carving knife will determine how it performs. Stainless steel knives, like the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife and the Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer, resist rust even when you don’t allow them to fully dry before putting them away.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is made from Japanese high-carbon steel to keep stains at bay and hold up through years of use.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is cooled using precise cryogenic tempering with liquid nitrogen to strengthen it.
- Blade sharpness factors heavily into how well your knife performs. The ultra-sharp blade on the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife allows it to slice right through a wide variety of meats. It’s also a long blade, which is perfect for large cuts of meat like roasts.
- The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife has a scalpel-like edge to ensure the blade retains its sharpness through many cuts.
- The Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer has a Japanese steel blade designed for making thin cuts of meat. If accuracy is a goal, this is the perfect knife, as its 17-degree bevel promotes thin, straight lines.
- There are knives that are specifically designed for those making homemade beef jerky, which means they come with a uniquely dimpled blade. Although you can execute other cuts using this knife, if you don’t make homemade beef jerky, this might be one to skip.
- The last thing you need when you’re preparing a meal is a knife with a handle that starts rubbing your hand the wrong way. The ergonomic handle of the MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife balances your weight as you cut to keep you both safe and comfortable. The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife also has an ergonomic handle shape, as does the Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer. The Mercer Culinary Granton Edge Slicer also builds in slip resistance and a protective finger guard for an additional layer of safety.
- Before you buy, make sure your chosen knife will be able to tackle all the food types you plan to make. The MAIRICO Stainless Steel Carving Knife will probably be the most useful for everyday use. The 11-inch blade can handle turkey and chicken, as well as pork loins, brisket, vegetables and fruits. The Dalstrong Quantum 1 High-Carbon Steel Carving Knife is also versatile, handling roasts, barbecue and salmon as well as fruits and vegetables.
- Although it’s generally advised to hand wash your knives, some can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Keep in mind that even though these knives can be placed in the dishwasher, the life of the steel itself is shortened by doing so.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide