DALSTRONG Fillet Knife
Last updated date: August 25, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Fillet Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Fillet Knife you should buy.
Update as August 25, 2021:
Checkout The Best Fillet Knife for a detailed review of all the top fillet knives.
The DALSTRONG 7-in Fillet Knife is perfect for professionals and home cooks. It’s made out of a high-quality steel, and has a strong and flexible blade. The knife has a tripled-riveted, black pakkawood handle with a comfortable, easy grip, and includes two sheaths. However, it is not very sharp out of the box.
In our analysis of 128 expert reviews, the DALSTRONG 7-in Fillet Knife placed 8th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Battle Ready Cutlery. Dalstrong, Dalstrong Chef Knife, Utility Knife, Gladiator Series , Filet Knife Battle Ready Cutlery The Dalstrong Gladiator Series 7” filet knife has been carefully designed to ensure de-boning, de-scaling, filleting, skinning, trimming and butterflying all your favorite fish and poultry is easier, more efficient and satisfying. Operating as an extension of your arm, this masterfully created blade works alongside you day in and day out. Featuring a 1.5mm thickness from the spine, this knife is highly flexible and ultra maneuverable, allowing you to breeze through flesh and sinew. This Gladiator Series file knife comes with both a BPA free PerfectFit sheath for safe storage in your draw, and a travel case with belt loop should you decide to bring the knife on the boat or dockside during outdoor adventures. Included: 7” Gladiator Series Filet Knife PerfectFit Dalstrong Sheath PLU leather outdoor leather travel sheath Neatly Packed with Dalstrong’s Renowned Packaging Dalstrong Support The Art of Steel. FEATURES AND BENEFITS ✓ Precision forged, ultra sharp, wear resistant, single-piece, high carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel at 56+ Rockwell ✓ The edge is painstakingly hand sharpened to 14-16° per side, maintaining the perfect balance between blade sharpness and maximum resilience ✓ Tall blade height gives knuckle clearance to assist with food preparation and chopping activity ✓ Beautiful hand polished satin finish blade ✓ Tapered design for hardness and flexibility ✓ Added chromium for stain resistance ✓ Precisely tempered for added durability ✓Polished spine to facilitate a comfortable pinch grip ✓ Full tang for incredible robustness & quality ✓ Premium quality laminated pakkawood handles imported from Spain, for superior strength, refinement, and beauty. Sanitary build perfect for busy kitchens ✓ Triple riveted for even more durability ✓ Mirror polished, finger protective bolster provides for a perfectly engineered balance with just the right heft ✓ Ergonomic handle shape for maximum comfort, grip and maneuverability ✓ Stainless steel second bolster (end cap) adds counter balance and distinction ✓ Engraved Dalstrong center rivet ✓ Cleans easily for low maintenance ✓ Includes a BPA protective Dalstrong PerfectFit sheath Knives To Build A Career On. A Community Of Chefs To Belong To. Over Seventy-Five Thousand Chefs Have Switched to Dalstrong From executive chefs to home chefs and everyone in between, Dalstrong Chefs are treated like family. Over seventy-five thousand chefs have switched to Dalstrong for our superior quality, unconditional support, and loyal community. It may be cliche, but we truly care about you and the blades and products we painstakingly design and develop. From the tinest packaging detail, to hundreds of hours of design and testing, each knife is a work of love, dedication and expert craftsmanship. We proudly believe we are the fastest growing knife company for a reason. Dalstrong supports you, our chefs, everyday and in every way we can. Your Dalstrong knives work alongside you, day in and day out, making you more effective, creative, and precise in the kitchen; delivering plates you can feel proud to present. These are knives to build a career on, and tens of thousands of professional chefs have done just that. From cooking competitions (Dalstrong supports chefs across the country building their reputation), to charitable events (we donate knives to those in need with culinary aspirations), Dalstrong loves the community, loves chefs, and the men and women who prepare food for us all each and everyday. From the heat of the professional kitchen to a simple meal for one, Dalstrong stands beside you every step of the way. #dalstrong Dalstrong Is Out To Turn An Old Industry On Its Head We love cooking. We love design and craftsmanship. Most of all though, we love bringing a feeling of pure satisfaction to chefs around the world who use our tools day in and day out. Whether you’re a hobbyist or pro, our aim is to enhance the experience of your culinary creation. Dalstrong is the new guy on the block. From a foundation of love and respect for an ancient craft, we layer on modern thinking and methods to create beautiful and innovative knives at far greater value than traditional brands. Don’t just take our word for it; look what others are saying, across the web, social media and in professional kitchens around the country. Our goal is to stir up a stodgy old industry with tools chefs love and trust, at amazing value points and with innovative design and improvements. And as a company, we’re out to build life-long relationships with exceptional products and exceptional attention to your individual needs as a chef and customer. Come cook with us. Like you, we strive for greatness every day.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Fillet Knives
Whether you enjoy catching your own fish, or purchasing whole fish from the fishmonger at the local market, a fillet knife is a useful tool to have. When you want to expertly clean and debone your fish, a sharp, exact fillet knife is a great way to make safe and accurate cuts. You don’t need to be a professional chef or a fish connoisseur to use a fillet knife either, as it’s a great tool for home cooks and professionals alike.
“A good fillet knife can be used for skinning, deboning and filleting fish,” says our culinary expert Julie Chernoff. “If you can find a fillet knife that does all three, then you’re in good shape.”
One of the specific characteristics of a fillet knife is that the blade is flexible, unlike other kitchen knives. This flexibility of the blade enables cooks to have greater control over their cuts, so that no edible parts of the fish are wasted. The flexible blade can maneuver around hard surfaces, such as bones or scales, to remove the pieces of desired flesh.
What makes a fillet knife blade so flexible? It’s all in the design. It is often made out of special steel that allows for that unique flexibility. Plus, the blades are long, usually between seven to nine inches. The thickness and width of the blade also affect the amount of flexibility in the blade. When searching for a good fillet knife, be sure to check how flexible the blade is.
“Look for a full-tang, riveted-handle knife for stability,” says Chernoff. “The blade should have a substantial shoulder where it connects to the handle for added protection from the slippery fish and to have something to brace your hand against to keep it from coming in contact with the blade.”
In order to expertly fillet a fish, begin by removing the scales of the fish with the backside of the blade. You can then remove the fins and take off all of the skin. Next, take out the entrails of the fish with the fillet knife. Be sure to wash out the space inside with water.
After that, slice the fish fully open lengthwise. You can use your fillet knife to mark the fillets on either side. Using the flexible blade of the fillet knife, take out the fillets very carefully so as not to tear them. This technique can be used on most types of fish. Remember to always use a sharp and flexible fillet knife to make exact cuts.
The Fillet Knife Buying Guide
- One of the most important elements to look for when selecting a good fillet knife is the material the knife is made out of. You want to ensure that the blade will be strong, yet forgiving. A fillet knife blade needs to be flexible but firm at the same time, allowing you to make expert cuts and remove the flesh of the fish. Some knives are made out of an incredibly razor-sharp imported high-carbon German steel and feature a hand polished edge at 14-16 degrees per side. This makes the knife highly flexible and maneuverable. Other knives are forged from a single block of high carbon stainless steel. They are then tempered to 58-degree HRC. Their blades are long and narrow, so that they are easy to move it along the backbone of the fish and remove the scales. The KastKing 9-in Fillet Knife is comprised of premium, razor-sharp G4116 German stainless steel. The blades are curved and have the right flexibility to cut around the natural shape of fish.
- Just as important as the blade is the handle. After all, it doesn’t matter how flexible or sharp the blade is if the handle of the knife is difficult to hold. You want to ensure the handle provides the perfect grip for your hand, so that the blade is easy to control and maneuver. Look for a knife that has a luxury imported black pakkawood handle. These handles are triple-riveted, so that they provide a strong grip with comfort. You also want the knife to have an ergonomic handle. The KastKing 9-in Fillet Knife has a comfortable and slip-resistant handle, with polymer grips. It is designed to ensure you always have a solid grip on the knife.
- When you have such a sharp tool in the kitchen, it’s important to keep safety in mind, especially for storage. Opt for a knife that has a protective sheath. This not only keeps the blade safe while it’s not in use, it also ensures that you don’t accidentally cut your fingers while the knife is not in use. The KastKing 9-in Fillet Knife comes with a durable and lightweight sheath, designed to lock the handle for safety. The sheath has open slots that enable any water on the knife to drain, ensuring the knife stays dry and sharp.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide