DALSTRONG Hybrid Chef’s Knife
Last updated date: December 31, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Meat Cleavers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Meat Cleaver you should buy.
Update as December 31, 2020:
Checkout The Best Meat Cleaver for a detailed review of all the top meat cleavers.
Made from 66 layers of high-carbon stainless steel, the blade on the DALSTRONG Hybrid Chef's Knife is built to last. Perhaps the best thing about the blade, though, is the subtle pattern built into it. A 100 percent money-back means you can try it risk free.
In our analysis of 101 expert reviews, the DALSTRONG Hybrid Chef's Knife placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Shogun Series of knives are what careers are built on. Painstakingly crafted over 60 days using the highest quality materials, the Shogun Series chef is both a razor-sharp kitchen powerhouse and artistic statement in premium design and workmanship. The Shogun Series blade is precision forged from a single piece of ultra premium Japanese high-carbon AUS-10V steel with 67-alternating layers of SUS410 damasucs cladding for stain-resistance and durability. Precise cryogenic tempering with liquid nitrogen increases the steel's crystalline structure, enhancing strength, flexibility and hardness. Hand-polishing reveals a magnificent visual pattern, Dalstrong’s ‘Tsunami Rose’. The super-steel core possesses extra high carbon levels, allowing for scalpel-like sharpness with exceptionally long lasting edge retention. Each knife is hand-finished in the Honbazuke 3-step method, creating a beautiful mirror polished edge at a staggeringly acute 10 degrees per side. Beautifully engraved into the blade near the bolster is the Dalstrong lionhead logo for further refinement. The Shogun Series handle is meticulously constructed of G-10 Garolite, an incredibly strong military-grade inert and non-porous fiberglass-like material. It is highly impervious to both heat and moisture with life-long durability. The carefully engineered ergonomic handle is designed for superior hand control and comfort. while simultaneously being stabilized with an engraved end-cap for agile performance. To further enhance the beauty, an intricate copper mosaic pin adorns the center rivet. A premium -quality polymer Dalstrong PerfectFit saya (sheath) with embossed Dalstrong logo and pin is included with the set to ensure your blade is carefully protected. The Dalstrong Shogun Series 8" "Crixus" Chef-Cleaver Hybrid Knife dalstrong chef knife professional shogun gladiator phantom omega chef cleaver japanese steel Supreme function meets stunning elegance. The Shogun Series 8” "The Crixus" is a uniquely engineered chef knife and cleaver hybrid designed for meat lovers, BBQ enthusiasts and those looking for something different. Named after the infamous Gladiator "Crixus", this specialty blade honors its namesake by making quick work of any challenge. The curved profile allows for clean, perfect slices through flesh, skin and sinew, while the width and weighted front half let you chop like a cleaver for easy sectioning and portioning. The classic cleaver hole near the nose allows for hanging the knife, or store in the included PerfectFit sheath. Poultry, beef, pork, fish, wild game and even fruits and veggies easily fall prey to this blade, which is versatile enough to handle much more beyond proteins. This highly-functional knife is a must-have for those who prep meat and want to have fun while doing so. Included: Shogun Series 8" Crixus Chef-Cleaver Hybrid PerfectFit Dalstrong Sheath Neatly Packed with Dalstrong’s Renowned Packaging Dalstrong Support FEATURES & BENEFITS dalstrong chef knife professional shogun gladiator phantom omega chef knife cleaver japanese steel THE SHOGUN SERIES HANDLE Military grade G10 handle for life-long durability Highly impervious to heat, cold and moisture Ergonomic handle for superior hand control, agility and comfort Non-slip grip Engraved end cap for further distinction Intricate copper mosaic enhances beauty dalstrong chef knife professional shogun series chef knife cleaver hybrid meat carver japanese steel THE SHOGUN SERIES BLADE Scalpel like sharpness at a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side. Sail through culinary challenges. Incredible Edge Retention at 62+ Rockwell. Cut longer, go further. AUS-10V Japanese super steel core. The ultimate steel for the ultimate performance. 67-Layered Damascus sharpened under the ancient 3-step Honbazuke method and married to bleeding edge technology. Tapered bolster provides a perfect ‘zero-balance’ balance, finger protection and gently encourages a natural and comfortable pinch grip Rust/Corrosion resistant cladding means your knife will stay cleaner and last longer Hand-polished spine enhances comfort across very grips Featuring Dalstrong’s exquisite Shogun Series Tsunami Rose blade pattern, for striking, stand out beauty. Full tang - maximum robustness. This knife is built to last a lifetime. Triple riveted - even further resilience. Beautifully engraved. Performance and looks. Tapered blade for minimal slicing resistance and non-stick properties Cleans easily Precise cryogenic tempering increases the steel’s crystalline structure, enhancing, strength, flexibility and hardness THE DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE dalstrong chef knife professional shogun series crixus hybrid cleaver japanese aus-10v super steel Over Two-Hundred & Fifty Thousand Chef's Have Switched to Dalstrong From executive chefs to home chefs and everyone in between, Dalstrong Chefs are treated like family. Over two-hundred & fifty thousand chefs have switched to Dalstrong for our superior quality, unconditional support, and loyal community. It may be cliche, but we truly care about you and the blades and products we painstakingly design and develop. From the tiniest packaging detail, to hundreds of hours of design and testing, each knife is a work of love, dedication and expert craftsmanship. We proudly believe we are the fastest growing knife company for a reason. Dalstrong supports you, our chefs, everyday and in every way we can. Your Dalstrong knives work alongside you, day in and day out, making you more effective, creative, and precise in the kitchen; delivering plates you can feel proud to present. These are knives to build a career on, and tens of thousands of professional chefs have done just that. From cooking competitions (Dalstrong supports chefs across the country building their reputation), to charitable events (we donate knives to those in need with culinary aspirations), Dalstrong loves the community, loves chefs, and the men and women who prepare food for us all each and everyday. From the heat of the professional kitchen to a simple meal for one, Dalstrong stands beside you every step of the way. #dalstrong
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Meat Cleavers
Cutting meat requires a special tool, especially if you’re dealing with thicker meats. Sure, you could use your chef’s knife, but you’ll find you put in much more work while also risking damage to the meat itself.
They’re incredibly handy if you like to break down your own meats, rather than asking your butcher to do it for you, says our resident culinary expert Julie Chernoff.
“Meat cleavers get the most use in butcher shops, where they are constantly used to cut through large slabs of protein or to cut through bone,” she says. “You are looking for a large, broad, sturdy blade that can withstand considerable force. This must be a full-tang knife, and should weigh at least a pound at minimum; the one I have at home weighs nearly 2 pounds and it means business.”
There are a few features to consider when you’re in the market for a meat cleaver. The first is the blade itself. Top meat cleavers prioritize something called edge retention, which means the blade is not only sharp, but you also won’t find yourself sharpening it every time you use it. This lets you enjoy consistency every time you start meal prep.
Retaining that sharpness does require a little extra work, though. You won’t be able to just toss your knife in the dishwasher after dinner. Instead, you’ll probably need to hand wash it to ensure it retains its effectiveness.
It’s important to note that meat cleavers do have their limitations. If you have heavier, thicker cuts of meat, especially with bones, you’ll need a cleaver that’s designed to tackle those big jobs. You’ll also need a special type of cleaver if you’re trying to slice and dice frozen items.
The handle directly drives how your knife performs. Look for a cleaver with a sturdy, ergonomic handle design that will maximize your comfort during those longer meal-prepping sessions. Some handles also offer features like slip-resistance, while others may advertise that they’re designed to keep bacteria at a minimum. Those can be nice “extras” to have in a knife.
“A non-slip grip surface is a serious plus, because the last thing you want is for this instrument to go flying out of your hand; breaking down meat is a messy job,” says Chernoff.
The accessories can make a big difference, as well. A sheath will come in handy for safely storing your cleaver when you aren’t using it. Since it can be tough to find a sheath that fits your blade perfectly, having one included with your purchase is a nice bonus. If you’re giving a meat cleaver as a gift, some come with gift packaging to save you time.
The Meat Cleaver Buying Guide
- As with many knives, a cleaver’s handle can enhance both safety and comfort. Often this is all in the way the knife curves. Many of today’s cleavers are built with ergonomic handles to ensure you remain comfortable even when cutting for long periods of time.
- Grip is especially important. A nonslip handle will help prevent accidents.
- The weight of the knife also determines how comfortable it is to hold. A lightweight build will help reduce fatigue when you have a big job to do.
- Cleavers can handle boneless cuts of meats, as well as vegetables. However, if you’re trying to tackle frozen items, meat with bones or other hard materials, you could find the handle breaks. If you need something to handle those heavy-duty tasks, look for a cleaver that’s built for it.
- Pakkawood is a popular material for knife handles. Pakkawood is a blend of wood and plastic that is both waterproof and durable. Where wood would typically splinter or warp in food preparation conditions, pakkawood holds its own while still looking like genuine wood.
- You may see the words “full tang.” This simply means that the back portion of the blade extends all the way through the handle. Full tang knives generally are more durable and offer more control.
- Some cleavers advertise that they’re dishwasher safe, but it’s best to hand wash knives of any type. Not only does the dishwasher take a toll on the blade, but pakkawood can also suffer when exposed to the extreme heat a dishwasher puts out. When hand washing your knives, mild soaps are safest.
- As visually appealing as etchings in blades are, keep in mind that at a glance, these designs can come across as smudges or dirt. You may miss the impression you’re trying to make by choosing one of these knives.
- Storage instructions for cleavers and other knives typically focus on the blade. However, it’s also important to factor in how your handle will hold up while in storage, particularly if you’ve chosen one made of wood. Dents and scratches can take away from the look of your knife.
- One bonus you’ll find in some knives is that the handles have antibacterial properties. This will help keep germs at bay while you’re preparing your meals.
- Most of your cleaver shopping will home in on the blade. Many cleavers will promise to have the sharpest, most powerful blades, so look into the materials used to build the blade. Cleavers that were cooled with nitrogen and made from high-carbon steel or multiple layers of stainless steel are good options.
- In addition to initial sharpness, look for a blade that retains its edge after many uses. If you have to keep sharpening your cleaver, you’ll find it becomes far less convenient.
- Although consumers turn to cleavers for cutting meat, you’ll get far more use out of it if you choose one that’s fairly versatile. Some cleavers go beyond proteins to help you chop fruits and vegetables.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide