DALSTRONG Bird’s Beak Paring Knife
Last updated date: November 7, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Birds Beak Paring Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Birds Beak Paring Knife you should buy.
Update as March 11, 2022:
Checkout The Best Bird’s Beak Paring Knife for a detailed review of all the top birds beak paring knives.
In our analysis, the DALSTRONG DALSTRONG Bird's Beak Paring Knife placed 0th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Maximum Performance. Zero Compromises. At The Cutting Edge of Beauty and Performance The Ultimate Peeling Knife: With a blade shape resembling that of a bird’s beak, the short, curved blade is exceptional at fluting mushrooms or creating decorative fruit or vegetable garnishes and for prepping small, spherical fruits and vegetables. This blade is also exceptional at peeling potatoes, apples, and all manner of modest-sized round fruit and vegetables. Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, inspired design and premium materials. A scalpel like edge is hand finished to a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience.Perfect for vegetables and fruits An ultra sharp AUS-10V (with a specialized vacuum heat-treatment which upgrades performance) Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell ensures extraordinary performance and edge retention. The interior steel is sandwiched between 66 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel, resulting in exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Ultra-premium G-10 handle forms around the santoku knifes tang, and is impervious to heat, cold and moisture. Military grade with life-long durability. Handpolished ergonomic handle shape is engineered for superior hand control, agility and comfort all while promoting a natural pinch grip. Painstakingly crafted over 60 days using the highest quality materials, the Shogun Series paring knife is both a razor-sharp kitchen powerhouse and artistic statement in premium design and workmanship. Combining ancient Japanese sword making methods with the latest in breakthrough technologies, the Shogun Series is simply unrivaled in performance, and beauty. 3” Shogun Series Peeling/ Paring Knife PerfectFit Dalstrong Sheath Neatly Packed with Dalstrong’s Renowned Packaging The Art of Steel. FEATURES AND BENEFITS The Shogun Series Blade ✓Scalpel like sharpness at a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side. Sail through culinary challenges. ✓Incredible Edge Retention at 62+ Rockwell. Cut longer, go further. ✓AUS-10V Japanese super steel core. The ultimate steel for the ultimate performance. ✓67-Layered Damascus sharpened under the ancient 3-step Honbazuke method and married to bleeding edge technology. ✓Tapered bolster provides a perfect ‘zero-balance’ balance, finger protection and gently encourages a natural and comfortable pinch grip ✓Rust/Corrosion resistant cladding means your knife will stay cleaner and last longer ✓Hand-polished spine enhances comfort across very grips ✓Featuring Dalstrong’s exquisite Shogun Series Tsunami Rose blade pattern, for striking, stand out beauty. ✓Full tang – maximum robustness. This knife is built to last a lifetime. ✓Triple riveted – even further resilience. ✓Beautifully engraved. Performance and looks. ✓Tapered blade for minimal slicing resistance and non-stick properties ✓Cleans easily ✓Precise cryogenic tempering increases the steel’s crystalline structure, enhancing, strength, flexibility and hardness. The Shogun Series Handle ✓Military grade G10 handle for life-long durability ✓Highly impervious to heat, cold and moisture ✓Ergonomic handle for superior hand control, agility and comfort ✓Non-slip grip ✓Engraved end cap for further distinction ✓Intricate copper mosaic enhances beauty The Shogun Series Sheath Included with every Shogun Series blade is a matching Shogun Series saya (sheath) with traditional pin and string locking mechanism. Ensuring your investment and your fingers are protected. Knives To Build A Career On. A Community Of Chefs To Belong To. Over Seventy-Five Thousand Chefs Have Switched to Dalstrong From executive chefs to home chefs and everyone in between, Dalstrong Chefs are treated like family. Over seventy-five thousand chefs have switched to Dalstrong for our superior quality, unconditional support, and loyal community. It may be cliche, but we truly care about you and the blades and products we painstakingly design and develop. From the tinest packaging detail, to hundreds of hours of design and testing, each knife is a work of love, dedication and expert craftsmanship. Dalstrong supports you, our chefs, everyday and in every way we can. Your Dalstrong knives work alongside you, day in and day out, making you more effective, creative, and precise in the kitchen; delivering plates you can feel proud to present. These are knives to build a career on, and tens of thousands of professional chefs have done just that. From cooking competitions (Dalstrong supports chefs across the country building their reputation), to charitable events (we donate knives to those in need with culinary aspirations), Dalstrong loves the community, loves chefs, and the men and women who prepare food for us all each and everyday. From the heat of the professional kitchen to a simple meal for one, Dalstrong stands beside you every step of the way. #dalstrong The Dalstrong Difference. Dalstrong Is Out To Turn An Old Industry On Its Head We love cooking. We love design and craftsmanship. Most of all though, we love bringing a feeling of pure satisfaction to chefs around the world who use our tools day in and day out. Whether you’re a hobbyist or pro, our aim is to enhance the experience of your culinary creation. Dalstrong is the new guy on the block. From a foundation of love and respect for an ancient craft, we layer on modern thinking and methods to create beautiful and innovative knives at far greater worth than traditional brands. Don’t just take our word for it; look what others are saying, across the web, social media and in professional kitchens around the country. Our goal is to stir up a stodgy old industry with tools chefs love and trust, with innovative design and improvements. And as a company, we’re out to build life-long relationships with exceptional products and exceptional attention to your individual needs as a chef and customer. Come cook with us. Like you, we strive for greatness every day.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Julie Chernoff is a long-time member of Les Dames d’Escoffier (past president of the Chicago Chapter, and current co-chair of the LDEI Legacy Awards Committee), the Association of Food Journalists (AFJ) and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
Chernoff is the dining editor of Better, a lifestyle website and print magazine. Her journalism started in the test kitchens of Weight Watchers Magazine. She holds a BA in English from Yale University and is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy. She has spent the last few decades styling, photographing, teaching, developing recipes, editing, thinking and writing about food.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Birds Beak Paring Knives
Cooking calls for an arsenal of tools, including a variety of knives. If you don’t have a bird’s beak paring knife in your kitchen, you’re missing a tool that can make dinner prep much easier. A bird’s beak knife is named for the short, curved blade, which resembles a bird’s beak.
“The name comes from the shape of the blade, which is small and curved like the beak of a bird,” says our resident culinary expert Julie Chernoff. “It is smaller than the standard paring knife, with a 2- to 3-inch blade. It could in some ways replace a veggie peeler, because the curve makes it ideal for peeling rounded fruits and veggies, like potatoes, apples and melons, with less waste than the straight blade of a paring knife. It’s also excellent for coring tomatoes and strawberries, cutting blemishes out of potatoes and separating citrus peels from pith.”
Why do you need one of these knives? Bird’s beak knives are designed specifically for paring and peeling — two activities that require intricate, precise work. You can use it for fluting mushrooms or peeling potatoes and various fruits. You can also use it to create decorative garnishes out of vegetables to add that extra pizzazz to your meals.
A bird’s beak knife has a blade much shorter than other types of kitchen knives. Although these knives are extremely sharp, the shape and size make them easier to control while you’re doing intricate work like peeling vegetables. Once you’ve added a paring knife to your knife stand, you’ll likely find that you don’t return to your peeler.
When you’re buying any type of knife, the blade is a top feature. Although extra-sharp blades may sound scary, it’s actually safer to have a sharp blade, rather than having to struggle to make cuts using one that has dulled. Although you’ll still occasionally need to sharpen your blade to freshen things up, the right blade design will offer years of precise cuts.
The handle itself also comes into play. You’ll not only want a knife with a comfortable handle, but you’ll also want to make sure you’ll be able to maintain your grip throughout your prep work. That stability will also help keep you safe in the kitchen.
As with many knives, you’ll get the best results from hand washing your bird’s beak knife. Although some of these knives can be washed on the top rack of the dishwasher, hand washing is still a better idea. If you do opt for the dishwasher method of cleaning, make sure you check the manufacturer’s instructions first. Some bird’s beak knives have handles that aren’t built to handle the heat that’s emitted from a dishwasher.
The Birds Beak Paring Knife Buying Guide
- When it comes to blades, you’ll have two major design choices: stainless steel or carbon. Stainless steel handles moisture better, but carbon tends to reach a much better level of sharpness. Overall, you’ll find stainless steel holds up better over the years and weathers more abuse. Some knives are carbon knives, while others are stainless. The DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler is made from 67 layers of Damascus steel for extra durability.
- Look for a blade that is precision stamped to keep it both lightweight and strong.
- Bird’s beak paring knives are already extremely sharp, but the DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler is tapered specifically to provide maximum hardness and flexibility, as well as reduced slicing resistance.
- To sharpen your paring knife, you’ll need a whetstone. Using the corners of the stone will help you manage the unique curves of the bird’s beak knife.
- The handle also becomes important when it comes to the performance of your paring knife. The handle on the DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler has a tapered bolster that helps with balance, ensuring you stay in control while you’re chopping. The bolster on the handle also helps guard your fingers while you cut.
- The DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler’s handle is laminated to help keep germs at a minimum. Other handles are also designed so that they don’t harbor bacteria.
- Those handles built in traditional Japanese style have a ridge on one side for the fingers to rest comfortably.
- “Tang” is a term you’ll see mentioned on knife listings. The tang is the area of the knife where the blade and handle connect. The DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler is full tang, which means the metal of the blade runs the full length of the knife, including through the handle. Most professional chefs insist on knives that are full tang.
- Some models can be washed in the dishwasher, but in general, bird’s beak knives should be washed by hand. The DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler must be washed by hand since the pakkawood handle is not built to handle extreme temperatures.
- For extra safety measures when storing your knife, the DALSTRONG Paring Knife Peeler includes a protective sheath. Best of all, the sheath is BPA-free.
- If you aren’t sure whether you’ll like the bird’s beak knife design, consider a budget-friendly option. Serious chefs may be more interested in investing in a professional-grade kitchen knife that’s on the other end of the price spectrum.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide