Cricut Essential Basic Tool Set, 5-Piece
Last updated date: September 10, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Cricut Materials and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Cricut Material you should buy.
Update as September 10, 2021:
Checkout The Best Cricut Materials for a detailed review of all the top cricut materials.
Your Cricut materials stash should include a basic tool set. This high-quality version comes with all the necessities — a pair of scissors, a spatula, a weeder, tweezers and a scraper. Crafters will also love the budget-friendly price tag. Use these with vinyl and paper, your iron-on projects, and more.
In our analysis of 22 expert reviews, the Cricut Essential Basic Tool Set, 5-Piece placed 6th when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
This 5-piece set includes essential tools you need to lift, snip, burnish, and weed a wide variety of materials. Perfect for vinyl, paper, iron-on projects and more. This 6.5×10.25 inch package contains one spatula, one weeder, one scraper, one pair of scissors and one pair of tweezers. Imported.
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Cricut Materials
A Cricut machine is digital craft cutter. It works with your home computer, tablet or phone, which sends a signal to the machine to tell it the path to take when cutting. Crafters will find this device saves a significant amount of time when it comes to designing and producing DIY projects.
If you do a lot of crafting, a Cricut machine can be a necessary purchase, but you’ll want to check that the model you want can handle the materials you plan on using. While all models can handle basic designs, some of them have the power to cut through over 300 different types of materials, including thick leathers and felts.
Then, once you bought your Cricut machine, you’ll want to supply your Cricut with additional accessories and materials to make it even more useful.
All Cricut machines come with a fine-point blade that cuts through paper and vinyl, but a variety of other blades are available as well and you may want to add these to your Cricut materials shelf. Deep-point blades cut through magnets, thick cardstock and felt. Bonded fabric blades are ideal for making intricate cuts on bonded fabrics or fabrics with an iron-on backer.
Next, you’ll want to pick up a set of Cricut pens, so the machine can write or draw out your design in your selected font. You can get them in a variety of colors and in large packs of 30. The important thing is that you make sure the set you select is compatible with the machine you currently own. Make sure the pens are non-toxic and acid-free. The ink isn’t permanent until it dries, so resist the urge to touch the design until then.
Another important Cricut material to consider is a Cricut mat. Mats are flexible and adhesive, sold in a variety of colors and sizes that are suitable for different papers and fabrics. The mats work to hold your design in place as the machine does the cutting and are utilized for every project you do. Although your machine will come with one mat, it’s best to have a second, so you can prepare your next design while the first one is being cut.
Pick up a Cricut EasyPress Mini for specialty projects that involve vinyl, paper and heat transfers. Check that the press has a comfortable handle, as this allows for a more precise application. Size should also be a consideration. Smaller presses allow you to get in corners and hard-to-reach spaces. Larger presses allow you to complete bigger jobs much faster. Some models offer three different heat settings, while others are made with built-in timers.
You may also wish to obtain a basic tool set for use with your machine. Look for a set that is budget-friendly, as these tools aren’t generally expensive. You’ll want a spatula, scraper, tweezers, weeder and a pair of scissors. The spatula and scraper help place and remove items from the mat, tweezers work well to apply small details, and weeders assist in removing excess material.
There are a host of additional Circut materials that you can use to make a variety of projects easier. For example, a foil transfer tool comes with three interchangeable tips and allows for adding intricate foil designs to your project. Are you interested in making boxes, cards and 3D crafts? Then you want to pick up a scoring stylus.
Ultimately, the Cricut is such a versatile tool. Adding materials to it just makes it more so and allows your creativity room to assert itself.
The Cricut Material Buying Guide
- Just a few of the things you can create with a Cricut machine include iron-on vinyls for t-shirts, decals, stickers, leather jewelry, magnets, party invitations, stencils for wood and labels for your kitchenware.
- When choosing a Cricut machine, make sure you don’t need a paid subscription to use the designs — unless that’s what you want. Cricut Design Space is free software that you can download and use; however, the Cricut Access app requires a paid subscription for all but the most restricted options. Some machines come with a limited free trial of Cricut Access, but you’d then have to pay for the subscription once the trial runs out.
- You can use designs that are already on your device without any extra cost, so one way to work around getting a subscription is to download images from free websites.
- Make sure the pens you select are compatible with your Cricut machine. Otherwise, you’ll need to pick up an accessory adapter separately.
- Cricut blades are extremely sharp. Care should be exercised when handling or replacing your machine’s blades.
- It’s best not to substitute an iron for a Cricut press. Irons contain small holes for steam and do not offer consistent temperatures for successful transfer.
- Look for a Cricut press with an auto-shutoff feature that provides added safety.
- If you plan on using your mobile device with your Cricut machine, you should be aware that some restrictions will apply. You’ll want to look these up to make sure you can still continue with your chosen design.
- Always place a Cricut mat’s clear film cover over it when you store it, as this keeps dust and paper scraps off the mat.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide