Crane Drop Humidifier
Last updated date: February 18, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Home Humidifiers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Home Humidifier you should buy.
In our analysis of 46 expert reviews, the Crane USA Crane Drop Humidifier placed 13th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 6, 2020:
Checkout The Best Home Humidifier for a detailed review of all the top home humidifiers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Get relief from Cold and Flu Symptoms and bring Wellness to your entire Family in style with an iconic Crane Drop Humidifier. Featuring an award winning design and top rated performance, Crane’s Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers provide up to 24 hours of soothing moisture to help relieve the effects of dryness and congestion, helping you and your Family to breathe easy and sleep through the night peacefully. The moisture that humidifiers add to dry air also help alleviate many common nuisances brought on by winter heating such as static electricity, peeling wallpaper, shrinking wood, and cracks in paint and furniture. All Natural, Non Medicated Relief from Dryness, Cough, Cold, and Flu Symptoms. Humidifiers are an ideal choice for relieving the discomforts of nasal congestion, dry itchy skin and hair, chapped lips, nose bleeds, and dry throats. Recent studies by the Center for Disease Control have also shown that relative humidity levels between 43% and 60% helps prevent the movement of germs, including the flu virus. A Baby Essential is the Perfect Baby Shower Gift! Humidifiers are especially important for Newborns because they are Obligate Nasal Breathers, breathing only through their tiny noses for their first 4 - 6 months. Any congestion can make breathing, feeding, and sleeping incredibly difficult for your little one. Not only that, but many pediatricians recommend the use of a humidifier as a safe, non medicated, all natural alternative to help relieve congestion from the common cold and flu instead of potentially harmful over-the-counter cough and cold medicine. Straightforward, Whisper-Quiet Operation With Clean Control Technology Crane's Drop design complements any home’s decor. Not only are Crane Drop Humidifiers stylish, but they are easy to use, whisper quiet, and feature Antimicrobial Material in the Base to help reduce mold and bacteria growth by up to 99.96%*. This compact, BPA Free unit uses ultrasonic technology to add humidity to the air, is more efficient than a household light bulb, and includes a built-in auto-shut-off feature that engages when the water tank is empty to ensure safety.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Home Humidifiers
Anyone who’s struggled through chilly days with cracked lips or burned through jars of lotion during colder months has experienced the effects of dry air. When the air in your home or apartment is too dry, it affects your skin and mucous membranes. This can dry out and irritate your skin, aggravate your sinuses and contribute to coughs and colds. Overly dry air also increases static electricity in your hair and clothes, and it makes cold rooms seem even chillier. Humidifiers reduce these negative effects by adding moisture to the air in your home.
There are several types of humidifiers. Central humidifiers are built into your air conditioning or heating unit, and they generally do a good job of maintaining healthy moisture levels in your air. However, older homes, apartments or homes in very cold, dry climates might need a boost of humidity from portable humidifiers.
Portable humidifiers use different methods to add moisture to cold, dry rooms. Evaporative humidifiers, like the Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Humidifier, Black, are the most common type. They have a reservoir that dispenses water through a wicking filter into a basin, then a fan blows air through the moistened filter to dispense small water droplets throughout the air.
Ultrasonic humidifiers use ultrasonic vibrating diaphragms to force tiny drips of water into your air. They tend to be quieter than other humidifiers.
Both evaporative and ultrasonic humidifiers need to be cleaned regularly to prevent mold, minerals and bacteria from growing in the water basin. However, some higher-end ultrasonic humidifiers have built-in UV light filters that sanitize your water before it’s exposed to air.
Most modern portable humidifiers use evaporative or ultrasonic technology. Cool mist versions of these humidifiers, like the TaoTronics Humidifier, are also becoming more popular. They emit room-temperature water droplets into the air instead of warm water, making them more suitable for year-round use than steam humidifiers.
After you’ve covered your humidifier basics, there are a few more considerations you’ll want to make before selecting the best unit for your home.
DWYM Fun Fact
Grumbling about the cost of your portable humidifier? Hey, at least you’re not the Crocker Art Museum in Northern California. After the museum’s $100 million expansion project concluded in 2010, they noticed their humidifier was on the fritz. Paintings, sculptures and other historic works of fine art need to be stored and displayed at specific humidity levels to prevent damage, and a faulty museum humidifier can spell disaster. The people at Crocker fought with their original contractors for years, saying that unit’s repeated failures were putting priceless works at risk. They finally scored a win in 2017, when a judge ruled that the contractors had to pony up $770,000 to replace the unit.
The Home Humidifier Buying Guide
- Take a look around your home to determine the safest spot for your humidifier. You should make sure to keep it off the floor on a sturdy surface that leaves several inches between the humidifier and your wall and outlets.
- How much elbow grease are you willing to put into cleaning your humidifier? You’ll need to keep the interior squeaky clean to prevent mineral and mildew buildup. Some options, like the LEVOIT Humidifiers Ultrasonic Humidifier Whisper Quiet, have UV lights to sanitize your water and dishwasher-safe basins to get into every nook and cranny. However, you’ll have to pay more for these features.
- Using distilled water instead of tap water can help slow down or prevent mold and mildew growth in your humidifier. It can also help your filter last longer and keep the humidifier other components in better condition.
- How large is your room or apartment? Some units are best for small to medium-sized rooms. You might have to buy more than one small unit if you need to increase humidity in multiple rooms. Larger humidifiers can help out in multiple rooms or even your whole house.
- Who will be using the humidifier? You’ll want a whisper-quiet model, like the TaoTronics Humidifier, for your baby’s nursery. If you’re relying on a humidifier to help alleviate symptoms of asthma or allergies, an ultra-hygienic option like the LEVOIT Humidifiers Ultrasonic Humidifier Whisper Quiet might be right up your alley.
- Some humidifiers have very large capacity tanks. This is great if you need a humidifier that lasts through the night without shutting off, like TaoTronic’s 4-liter tank. However, if filling a large tank will be physically difficult for you or another person using the humidifier, you’ll want a smaller option.
- How many hours would you like your humidifier to run? The TaoTronics Humidifier can run for up to 30 hours on low, so you can set it and forget it for half the weekend.