Columbia Men’s Steens Mountain Full Zip
Last updated date: January 22, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Men's Winter Jackets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Men's Winter Jacket you should buy.
Update as September 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Men’s Winter Jacket for a detailed review of all the top men's winter jackets.
Fleece jackets have become popular with consumers looking for a lightweight but warm option. The Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip is a great choice, especially if you don't spend a great deal of time outside or you don't live in areas that see subzero temperatures. You'll have numerous color options to help you find the look you want.
In our analysis of 71 expert reviews, the Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip placed 9th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
A soft, fleece layer is a must for any winter wardrobe—that's why the Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip 2.0 Fleece Jacket exists. Columbia's soft, winter-ready staple is the ultimate warmth provider and everyday style piece. You're bound to be warm and worry-free in this fleece jacket crafted of our super-soft 100% polyester MTR filament fleece. It's the perfect layering piece and first line of defense to combat the cold. When constant activity and high-energy are a factor, a classic fit is necessary; it allows for comfortable movement that you need. Zippered side pockets keep his small items secure (including your hands when the outdoors get extra cold). An added bonus is the warm collar that's flexible enough to wear it up or down, depending on desired level of toastiness. Columbia offers our fleece jacket in multiple staple colors and size. To ensure the size you choose is right, utilize our sizing chart and the following measurement instructions: For the sleeves, start at the center back of your neck and measure across the shoulder and down to the sleeve. If you come up with a partial number, round up to the next even number. For the chest, measure at the fullest part of the chest, under the armpits and over the shoulder blades, keeping the tape measure firm and level.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Men's Winter Jackets
The cold winter months can seem to last an eternity, but it’s much easier when you have a coat to keep you warm. This is especially important if you spend significant time outdoors. If you are heading for the ski slopes, you may need a warmer, more weather-resistant jacket than someone who merely needs to stay warm during those short trips from a car to a building.
Weather resistance is definitely a consideration in a jacket, no matter how you’ll be wearing it. When precipitation is falling, you need a jacket that will not only keep you warm, but will stop rain, ice or snow from penetrating the layers and making its way to your skin. The best jackets not only provide warmth but also keep you dry whether you’re on the slopes or waiting for your Uber ride on a busy city street.
But it can be tough to find a jacket that keeps you warm while also being lightweight enough to carry around with you. If you need to toss your jacket into a suitcase, a bulky, heavy coat can quickly become a problem. Added bulk can also make a jacket less comfortable than it would otherwise be. For that reason, some men prefer fleeces to traditional coats and jackets. The material provides warmth while still being lightweight enough for every occasion. Many lightweight jackets also use the latest materials to keep their build lightweight while still providing warmth during the most extreme temperature drops.
Pockets are also a consideration when you’re searching for a jacket. If you plan to slip your wallet or electronic devices inside, you’ll definitely want to be on the lookout for a jacket that’s waterproof and make sure the pockets include that safety feature. Having a safe, dry place to store your items can come in very handy whether you’re indulging in winter sports or just moving around town.
The Men's Winter Jacket Buying Guide
- If you’re shopping for a jacket, providing warmth is probably at the top of the list. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket excels in that area, offering 240g polyester fiber that offers some of the best protection against cold weather. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka also uses polyester construction, combined with a heavyweight insulation.
- Down feathers are often used in jackets to keep wearers warm without adding weight. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket includes down feather padding inside a quilted outer shell to insulate you from the cold weather.
- The attached gloves found on the Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket can come in handy. Just slip your thumb through the hole to keep your hands warm, no matter what you’re doing. You’ll also get elastic wristbands that velcro into place to keep air from seeping through the arms. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka uses adjustable cuffs to keep your arms warm.
- It’s also important to consider the weight of your chosen coat. If you aren’t spending hours at a time outdoors, the Columbia Men’s Steens Mountain Full Zip Soft Fleece may be a better choice. The fleece provides warmth without adding bulk. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket is also a good choice for those who want a warm jacket that they can easily toss into a suitcase or gym bag.
- When you add precipitation to the mix, an otherwise insulating jacket can quickly become a liability. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket performs best in this area, with a shell that’s both waterproof and wind repellent. Quilted jackets like the Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket also do well in rainy conditions.
- Pockets come in especially handy during the winter months, giving you a place to store your car keys, electronic devices and wallet. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket has two zippered hand pockets, one zippered chest pocket, one internal pocket and one internal pocket specifically designed to keep your electronic devices dry and secure. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka features four large front pockets, including one on the arm, and multiple interior pockets, including one specifically designed for device storage.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide