Coleman Quad LED Lantern
Last updated date: August 30, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Camping Lanterns and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Camping Lantern you should buy.
In our analysis of 139 expert reviews, the Coleman Coleman Quad LED Lantern placed 9th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 25, 2020:
Checkout The Best Camping Lantern for a detailed review of all the top camping lanterns.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Take the convenience of four lights in one with you with the Coleman Quad LED Lantern. Together the lantern shines 190 ultra-bright lumens for up to 75 hours. During an emergency, pop one of the four lights off the base for a personal flashlight. They recharge once they’re back on the base for hands-free light. The 24 LEDs last a lifetime, so they never need replacing and the lantern runs cool so it’s always safe to touch, even when it’s been on for hours. Combining an area light with four portable lanterns in a single clever unit, the Coleman LED Quad lantern is a versatile choice for indoor or outdoor use. The Quad is equipped with four removable LED panels that hold 24 LED lights total. Users can remove any of the four panels and use them independently, such as when needing a portable light for the bathroom or tent, or they can keep all four attached to the lantern and produce 190 total lumens of light. As a result, the Quad is the perfect light for group camping trips and any other occasion where folks might splinter off into smaller groups during the night. Each of the panels is a fully functioning light, with six 5mm white LEDs, a rechargeable NiMH battery, an independent on/off switch, and a top handle for carrying or hanging. The NiMH battery--which recharges when stored in the lantern base--provides up to 1.5 hours of light on its own. The lantern base, meanwhile, requires eight D-cell batteries (not included), which provide an approximate run time of 75 hours for the entire lantern. Other features include a main on/off switch located on top of the lantern, a light range of 26 feet, and a limited five-year warranty. More than 100 years ago, a young man with an entrepreneurial spirit and a better idea began manufacturing lanterns in Wichita, Kansas. His name was W.C. Coleman, and the company he founded would change life in America. A man plagued with such poor vision he sometimes had to ask classmates to read aloud to him, Coleman saw a brilliant light in 1900 in a drugstore window that stopped him in his tracks. He inquired about the light inside and discovered he was able to read even the small print on a medicine bottle by the illumination. The lamps had mantles, not wicks, and were fueled by gasoline under pressure instead of coal oil. Soon afterward, Coleman started a lighting service that offered a "no light, no pay" clause--a big step forward for merchants who were burned by inferior products that rarely worked--and drew substantial interest from businesses that wanted to keep their lights on after dark. In the ensuing years, Coleman expanded its product line well beyond lanterns. The company's current catalog is thick with products that make spending time outdoors a pleasure. There are coolers that keep food and drinks cold for days on end, comfortable airbeds that won't deflate during the night, a complete line of LED lights that last for years, powerful portable grills that cook with an authentic open-grill flame, and much, much more. Coleman has truly fashioned much of our outdoor camping experience, and expects to do so for generations to come.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Camping Lanterns
Whether you’re sleeping in a tent in the middle of the woods or launching a nighttime kayaking adventure, a good camping lantern can be your most treasured tool. Camping lanterns are made specifically for the unique needs of outdoor adventurers, with many even having a hook to make them easy to hang on tent poles and other surfaces.
But there are several things to consider when you’re in the market for a camping lantern. The first is just how bright you want your lamp to be. Most of today’s lanterns use LED, which are both energy efficient and powerful, with the ability to illuminate a wide space. However, you may want the ability to lower that brightness or switch over to a red light to navigate through your campsite without waking everyone else. Some camping lanterns even come with SOS lights in case you ever find yourself in an emergency situation.
As handy as a bright light can be, though, it won’t help much if it drains your batteries quickly. The energy efficiency of LED lights helps quite a bit, but some lanterns also have a setting that allows you to switch to a lower-powered light, preserving the bright light for only when you really need it. This can conserve battery power, with some lamps lasting for 12 hours or more.
Durability is another important issue. Although it’s important that your lantern last for many years, it’s also good if it can survive drops. Chances are, your lantern will suffer at least an accident or two on your adventures, so finding a rugged lantern is important. Whether you plan to take it on water-bound adventures or not, a waterproof lantern can be invaluable. You never know when you’ll be stuck in a rainstorm or you’ll accidentally drop it in a puddle. Some lanterns are not only waterproof, but they also float to make it easy to recover if you drop it in a body of water.
DYWM Fun Fact
Coleman is credited with bringing camping lanterns to the world. In the early 1900s, W.C. Coleman hung the company’s first gas lamps from poles near a football field in Wichita, Kansas. This effectively provided light for that night’s game at Fairmount College. That game is believed to be the first nighttime football game held west of the Mississippi. The lamp, developed in 1905 by W.C. Coleman, used a small pressurized base tank to provide safe, bright illumination at campsites. Since then, Coleman has been a leader in the camping lantern field, although today’s lanterns use batteries for power and LEDs for energy-efficient illumination.
The Camping Lantern Buying Guide
- LEDs can provide plenty of energy efficiency without sacrificing brightness. The LED light on the Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern is especially brilliant, covering a wide space. With the Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern, you get 360-degree light distribution to help cover your campsite.
- The Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern also comes with a red light, which provides just enough light for you to see without blinding those around you.
- If you ever find yourself stranded and need help, the SOS light on the Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern will prove very useful.
- Even with energy-efficient LEDs, camping lanterns can drain your batteries, possibly leaving you stranded if you don’t have a way to charge them. The rechargeable batteries on the Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern give you up to 12 hours of light. The Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern has a low white light mode, which can extend the life of your batteries to up to 295 hours, but the high setting will drain your batteries quickly.
- The Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern runs on rechargeable batteries, which can save you money over time. The Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern runs on three D batteries, while the Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern takes two D batteries. With the Vont 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern, you’ll need three AA batteries on hand.
- Chances are, you’re taking your lantern on outdoor adventures. That means eventually, it will suffer a mishap or two. The Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern is made from military-grade materials that keep it intact no matter what you put it through. The Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern has been extensively tested and can survive falls of up to two meters.
- Water-resistance is also important. The Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern is waterproof, but the waterproof Streamlight Siege Compact Hand Lantern also floats in water.