Coleman Camping Mattress & Cot
Last updated date: August 8, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Camping Mattresses and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Camping Mattress you should buy.
This camping mattress sits on a strong steel frame that takes just seconds to set up. The mattress itself comes with a leak-proof cover that is easy to wash in between uses. What makes this camping mattress stand out from other models are the two built-in side tables with cupholders. In our analysis of 23 expert reviews, the Coleman Coleman Camping Mattress & Cot placed 3rd when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 8, 2020:
Checkout The Best Camping Mattress for a detailed review of all the top camping mattresses.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
Coleman helps people make fun memories by providing the lighting, stoves, coolers, tents, sleeping bags, and camping tools integral to their favorite outdoor experiences.3-piece combo: Includes cot with side tables, air mattress, and battery-operated pump (4 D-cell batteries sold separately.) Superior support: Air bed's coil construction contours to body for better support. Leak-proof: Factory-tested to ensure air mattress stays firm all night. Sewn-in cover: Keeps air mattress in place on cot. 2 side tables: Pull-out design for easy storage includes cup holders. Dimensions: 78 x 59 x 22 in. Strong steel frame: Supports up to 600 lb.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Camping Mattresses
The American Institute of Stress reports that spending time outdoors is a great way to improve your mental health. That makes camping an excellent activity to escape the pressure and busyness of everyday life. Whether you’re planning a solo adventure or a family trip, you’ll need to have the necessary supplies. Perhaps the most important camping item on a person’s list is a quality mattress, as a peaceful night’s sleep is key to enjoying your time away from home.
Check the material used to construct the camping mattress first. You want to go with a model that will last, especially if you’re planning additional camping trips in the future. Some camping mattresses are made out of an eco-friendly TPU material that is completely non-toxic. This type of material is also wear-resistant and less likely to experience a puncture. The AirExpect AirBed Camping Mattress is designed using a waterproof .45-millimeter extra-thick non-toxic PVC that also prevents leaks.
Review how high the camping mattress is able to get you up off the ground. If you’re placing the mattress in your car, you can get away with a mattress that has a height of 4 inches; however, when camping on the ground, you’ll want a model that reaches between 7 and 9 inches in height.
Consider comfort and support next, as you don’t want to wake up with sore muscles. The Better Habitat SleepReady Memory Foam Camping Mattress is an excellent choice, as its made using a memory foam that is free from mercury, lead, phthalates, fire retardants and ozone depleters. It’s also got a hypoallergenic cover that blocks dust mites, mildew and bacteria. No matter whether you sleep on your stomach, side or back, you’ll find the memory foam contours to your body perfectly. Of course, other mattresses that use a coil construction are also great at providing back support, as they work to keep your spine in alignment.
Determine how lightweight and portable the camping mattress is. You don’t want a mattress that weighs over 7 pounds if you’re backpacking or you have to carry the mattress a long distance. Go with a mattress that either has a built-in carrying handle or a storage bag with carrying handle, as this will make getting the mattress to your campsite a much easier.
Research how much work is involved in setting the camping mattress up. You don’t want to spend a great deal of time prepping your camp site, as you’ll want to get right to all the fun. Some of the camping mattresses simply roll out, while others need to be inflated. Look for a model that self-inflates if you go this route. You don’t want to have to pack a separate pump and most likely, you won’t have access to an electrical outlet to use an electric pump.
Look for any extras that put one camping mattress above another. For example, the Coleman Camping Mattress & Cot has a sturdy steel frame that supports up to 600 pounds, as well as two built-in side tables with cupholders. The Willpo Memory Foam Camping Mattress includes Velcro connectors to make the mattress longer or wider. Other models have built-in pillows, which eliminates the need to pack extra items.
DWYM Fun Fact
According to Statista, the number of individuals in America who enjoy taking camping trips each year ranges from 40 to 46 million. Camping is an excellent way for families to escape the business of life without having to spend a fortune. Here are a few interesting facts about camping.
- The fastest time for a team of two people to set up a campsite is 74.48 seconds, say the Guinness World Records book. This feat was accomplished by Duoduo Wang and Lester Liu on July 24, 2020 in the city of Shanghai, China.
- Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts reports that campers can actually determine the air temperature by listening to the crickets. All you need to do is count the number of chirps made by the crickets in a 14-second time period and 40 to the result. This gives you the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thomas Hiram Holding wrote the first edition of “The Camper’s Handbook” in 1908. He is credited as modernizing camping.
- It was the 1927 Girl Scouts manual that first mentioned a recipe for S’mores.
- In May of 2019, the Australian Motorhoming Lions Club raised money for the Angel Flight charity by arranging the largest parade of camping vehicles. There were a total number of 868 RVs and the record was recorded in the Guinness World Records book.
The Camping Mattress Buying Guide
- Check the size of the camping mattress before you buy. You can get a mattress in a child’s size, as well as a single, twin or queen size. You may want to measure your tent first to ensure that the mattresses you purchase are able to fit properly.
- If your mattress needs to be inflated, make sure you inflate it inside the tent. While you can inflate it outside of the tent, chances are it won’t fit through your tent’s front door.
- Look for a mattress that comes with a removable cover that you can clean in your washing machine. If it doesn’t have one, you can always purchase one separately, as this is the best way to protect the mattress from becoming soiled.
- Should you opt to use a sleeping bag on top of your camping mattress, keep in mind that they are rated for different temperatures. You want to get a sleeping bag that matches the climate you’ll be camping in. Lighter sleeping bags are better for summer months, while thick bags that are heavily insulated are best for fall and winter trips.
- When not in use, store your camping mattress in a cool dry location.
- Camping mattresses are available in a wide range of prices, as they come in a variety of construction materials and include different features. The AirExpect AirBed Camping Mattress is one of the most affordable models on the market, while the Willpo Memory Foam Camping Mattress has a moderate price tag. You’ll pay the most for the Better Habitat SleepReady Memory Foam Camping Mattress and the Coleman Camping Mattress & Cot.