Cobra RAD 450 Radar Detector
Last updated date: March 29, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Radar Detectors and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Radar Detector you should buy.
Editor's Note March 29, 2021:
Checkout The Best Radar Detector for a detailed review of all the top radar detectors.
This handy radar detector promises fewer false alerts, thanks to a patented technology, and a long range of up to two miles in flat open conditions. It comes with a 1-year warranty and comes with everything you need for installation.
In our analysis of 32 expert reviews, the Cobra Cobra RAD 450 Radar Detector placed 7th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The RAD450 is one of the top-rated radar detectors from the industry leader, COBRA Electronics. With best-in-class patented technology and audible band identification and signal strength, you can focus on enjoying the drive. This long-range unit comes with everything you need to get started and is pre-programmed for both English & Spanish. Choose COBRA for unparalleled radar detection!
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Radar Detectors
A speeding ticket can put a serious damper on your day. Not only will you face a fine of $150 on average, but you’ll also have to deal with the drama of being pulled over by a police officer. Although smartphone apps like Waze can alert you that a police officer is coming up, do you really want to trust your fellow travelers to report one?
The best solution remains the same thing people used to avoid speeding tickets before we had smartphones. A radar detector picks up the emissions produced by police officers’ devices. Today’s top radar detectors are advanced enough to get around the many issues consumers faced in the past with radar detectors. They’ll find the band most often used by officers and filter out the common causes of false alarms.
If you don’t want to give up the crowdsourced approach to traffic alerts, don’t worry. Some radar detectors sync up with an app that helps you access the power of the crowd. This combination of information will ensure you have the best chance possible of knowing when your speed is about to be checked.
One problem with having a radar detector is that the police may be able to detect you have one on board. A device called Spectre can detect radar detectors and potentially lead to a ticket, depending on where you live. In Virginia and the District of Columbia, use of radar detectors is illegal. You can turn your detector off once it sends an alert since you’ll be slowing down anyway. Once you’re safely past the police officer, you can then turn it back on. There are also some radar detectors that claim to be undetectable to Spectre detectors.
Of course, the most important feature is accuracy. It’s important to look for a radar detector that captures all suspected radar incidents without routinely setting off false alarms. Once you have your detector, there are tweaks you can make to ensure it’s as accurate as possible.
The Radar Detector Buying Guide
- As valuable as radar detectors are, it can also help to have fellow travelers alerting you to police officers ahead. The Escort iX Radar Detector and Escort MAX360 Radar Detector connect to a smartphone app that allows users to report all radar and laser encounters, with the information reported as alerts through the detector.
- Accuracy can be tough to quantify, but the Escort iX Radar Detector uses technology that is often implemented in high-end radar detectors in order to reduce false alarms.
- Range is also important in a radar detector. Some models notify drivers well in advance of a potential radar incident. They have rear-facing antenna that can also keep a lookout for any radar behind you as you travel.
- False alarms are an ongoing issue with radar detectors. Many models have a bad habit of picking up every hint of radar. Some don’t mute DSP and GPS signals, which means you’ll probably be alerted to every radar you pass.
- One popular feature on the Escort MAX360 Radar Detector is its directional arrows, which show you the direction of the radar in relation to your car. However, the arrows can have a slow reaction time, making them not as useful.
- Readability is important in your radar detector. Alerts mean nothing if you can’t decipher them. The controls on the Escort iX Radar Detector are clearly labeled, with all functions easy to understand.
- You don’t have to blow your savings to protect yourself against speeding tickets. Though radar detectors can vary greatly in price, you’re sure to find one that fits your budget.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide