Carlson Pet Products Lil’ Tuffy Adjustable Extra Wide Pet Gate, 38-Inch
Last updated: March 1, 2023
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Extra Wide Pet Gates and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Extra Wide Pet Gate you should buy.
You'll be able to block doorways and openings as wide as 38 inches with this extra-wide pet gate. It comes with a small pet door, which is handy if you have a cat. The gate is made from a sturdy steel and includes a finish that is non-toxic and safe to use around babies and pets.In our analysis of 17 expert reviews, the Carlson Pet Products Lil' Tuffy Adjustable Extra Wide Pet Gate, 38-Inch placed 4th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
EXTRA WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 22-38 inches wide. Stands 18 inches tall. Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. No tools required and is gentle on walls. SMALL PET DOOR: Patented small pet door is 9 x 9 inches. Let’s small pets pass through, while keeping everyone else out. Includes locking feature.
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Extra Wide Pet Gate Rankings
Whether you’re training a new puppy or keeping a pet from going upstairs and disturbing your sleeping baby, an extra-wide pet gate can be a lifesaver. This type of gate is designed to fit both traditionally-sized and larger doorways. As you shop for the best available model, you’ll want to keep the following features in mind.
Determine which construction material is best. You’ll find pet gates are made out of plastic, wood and steel. Plastic models are easy to clean, yet not as durable as wood or steel. Wooden pet gates are attractive and an excellent choice as long as your pet doesn’t have a habit of chewing on wood. Steel models come in a variety of finishes that you can match to your existing furniture.
Check the extra-wide pet gate’s dimensions to make sure they match the area you need to cover. Some models are only able to extend as far as 38 inches, while others, like the Regalo 4-In-1 Extra Wide Baby & Pet Gate, are as long as 192 inches. Height is also important if you have a larger dog that can jump. Models with a height of 18 to 20 inches are great for small dogs, but you’ll want to go with a gate that has a height of at least 28 inches for bigger dogs.
Check out the various ways you’ll be able to configure the extra-wide pet gate. There are models that are only extendable. Others have hinges that rotate a full 360 degrees, allowing them to be arranged in a variety of ways. You’ll even find pet gates that can be converted into a play yard.
Consider any extras that make one pet gate stand out from another. For example, the Carlson Pet Products Lil’ Tuffy Extra Wide Pet Gate has a built-in pet door. Other gates, on the other hand, have a walk-through door for humans. The walk-through door has auto-close and hold-open features that make it a breeze to use, especially when your hands are full.
Keep an eye out for any additional features that add value to the gate. It may be lightweight and easy to transport, or outfitted with rubber pads that prevent the gate from scratching your flooring. It may also offer side panels and not need any installation.
There are also models that have accessories you can purchase separately, such as support feet and extension kits.
- If you have a smaller breed, pay attention to the spacing between the slats of the extra-wide pet gate. If the spaces are too large, a smaller pup may get her head caught in between the bars.
- Always review how easy or difficult the pet gate is to install before you buy. Some models are extensive and time-consuming, as they are made to be more permanent.
- Opt for a steel pet gate instead of a wooden model if your dog likes to chew wood.
- Should your pet get any drool or dirt on the extra-wide pet gate, you’ll want to give it a full wipe-down. If the gate is made from wood, you’ll want to use furniture polish with a lint-free rag. Gates made from steel can be wiped down using stainless steel wipes, which you’ll find at any hardware or automotive store.
- The pricing for an extra-wide pet gate is dependent upon the construction materials, size and added features. You’ll find the Carlson Pet Products Lil’ Tuffy Extra Wide Pet Gate is quite affordable, as it is smaller than other models on the market. The Regalo 4-In-1 Extra Wide Baby & Pet Gate is more moderately priced. You’ll pay the most for gates that have an attractive slate finish and that can be used for both pets and toddlers.