Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Dutch Oven
Last updated date: October 30, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Dutch Ovens and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Dutch Oven you should buy.
Update as July 12, 2019:
Checkout The Best Dutch Oven for a detailed review of all the top dutch ovens.
In our analysis of 70 expert reviews, the Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Dutch Oven placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Use this large Dutch oven to brown or sear meats, then add other ingredients to prepare savory stews and meat sauce. It's oven safe, so allowing you the option to finish recipes in the oven. Bring stunning, contemporary design to your kitchen with Calphalon Contemporary Stainless cookware. Crafted from lustrous, brushed stainless steel, clean lines and curvaceous silhouettes, Contemporary Stainless epitomizes the soul of modern style with professional performance and dishwasher-safe convenience. Enjoy stunning design and premium performance in your kitchen with the Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel 8-quart Covered Dutch Oven. This Dutch oven is the stylish and functional choice for chefs with a taste for all things modern. Offering stovetop to oven versatility, this Dutch oven is perfect for browning and searing meats, then adding ingredients for stew to slow-cook in the oven to perfection. Sturdy stainless steel construction surrounds a full aluminum core, delivering excellent heat conductivity. The Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel 8-quart Covered Dutch Oven is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning, oven and broiler safe, and backed by a full lifetime warranty. The generous 8-quart capacity of the Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Covered Dutch Oven makes it ideal for preparing family meals such as chili, soups, and stews, and is large enough to hold a whole chicken. Sturdy loop handles allow the Dutch oven to easily move from the stovetop to the oven for pot roasts, casseroles, and baked pasta dishes. Combining the beauty of stainless steel with the superior performance of aluminum, this Calphalon Dutch oven is made with a full aluminum core between two layers of stainless steel for superb conductivity and even, consistent heating. Modernly styled with a brushed stainless exterior, stainless steel is the ideal cooking surface for browning, searing, and sautéing foods. The Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel 8-quart Covered Dutch Oven is dishwasher safe for quick and easy cleaning. You can use this Dutch oven in the oven and broiler. This Dutch oven is intended for gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, and induction stove tops.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Dutch Ovens
Dutch ovens could change the way you prepare meals for the better. The convenience of being able to easily place a Dutch oven from the stovetop directly into the oven means less transferring of meals from skillets to casserole dishes and therefore, less clean-up for you in the end.
Models from brands such as Lodge and Le Creuset offer enameled cast iron versions that will stand the test of time. You’ll worry less about chipping, etc., but the maintenance on the enameled cast iron is a little more involved. However, if you’re willing to put in the upkeep, these will last you a lifetime.
There’s also a highly rated non-stick version from Simply Calphalon that you may feel more comfortable with, especially if you’re already used to cooking on non-stick skillets, etc. While you may notice more chipping on a non-stick surface, if handled with care, this type of Dutch oven will be a part of your kitchen for a good while.
Whether you’re choosing enameled cast iron or non-stick is just one of the considerations that goes into purchasing a Dutch oven. You’ll also need to think about the size of the Dutch oven you’ll need, what type of handles you’ll want to work with and more. But, that’s where the reviews for the top-rated Dutch ovens come in handy. Because the smallest details can make a big difference when you’re dealing with hot foods and surfaces in your kitchen!
From sloped interiors to the type of material the handles are made of, no detail was overlooked when putting these products to the test. So, you’ll have an easier time deciding which products will work the best in your kitchen, and once you have — you’ll be well on your way to cooking up pot roasts and more delicious meals in brand-spankin’ new Dutch oven.
The Dutch Oven Buying Guide
- You’ll need to consider the size of Dutch oven you’ll need. Thinking about the types of dishes you’ll be preparing, how many people you typically feed, etc., will help you decide how many quarts a dutch oven should be able to hold to meet your needs.
- The material the Dutch oven is made out of will be a crucial factor, too. While an enamel-covered cast iron dutch oven will hold up well over time, it can also be more difficult to clean and care for — especially once it starts to show signs of areas that have been burned over time. Non-stick options are also available, and while these may chip before their enamel-covered cast iron counterparts, they’re a bit easier to maintain. So, you’ll have to consider what matters more: easy clean-up vs. indestructibility.
- Keep in mind, if you go with an enamel-covered cast iron option, you’re in for easier clean up than a plain old cast iron version. Good thing that several of the highly rated options provided in this list are enameled cast iron, which does not need to be seasoned before using in the way that cast iron does. Phew!
- A detail you wouldn’t necessarily think about when making a purchase — the size and shape of the handles — is actually a very important part of choosing a Dutch oven. Selecting a Dutch oven with wide handles can make getting a heavy Dutch oven out of the oven easier, which will be a game changer when you’re cooking. The type of material the handle is made out of also matters. For example, a knock against the Simply Calphalon version is that the stainless steel handles can get extremely hot, so you’ll always want to handle with caution.
- The shape of a Dutch oven can come into play when it’s time to clean. A round Dutch oven vs. a rectangular Dutch oven, for example, is easier to clean, considering the food can’t get caught and stuck in any hard to reach places.
- Surprisingly, a Dutch oven can get quite heavy, so you’ll want to check to see how much the version you’re thinking of buying weighs before ultimately making a purchase. The highly-rated version from Lodge, for example, weighs 14 pounds. So, if you think you’d have a difficult time maneuvering this in your kitchen, you may want to look for a lighter option.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide