Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mix Scraper Hand Mixer, 9-Speed
Last updated date: August 6, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Hand Mixers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Hand Mixer you should buy.
With this model, you can switch between all nine speeds quickly to tackle everything from folding batter to creaming butter. The current speed level appears in the digital display for accuracy, and there's a build-in flashlight to help you mix. The mixer also automatically adjusts its speed to match the various attachments available. A built-in timer shows how long the mixer has been in use, and our testers especially love how quiet mixer is and that it comes with storage for the cord and attachment. In our analysis of 85 expert reviews, the Breville Breville Handy Mix Scraper Hand Mixer, 9-Speed placed 1st when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 21, 2019:
Checkout The Best Hand Mixer for a detailed review of all the top hand mixers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
How do you maximize speed for whisking and power for kneading from the same handy mixer? The Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mix Scraper with intuitive ergonomic control and Beater IQ automatically adjusts power to suit what you're mixing. Features an intuitive 9 speed selector, plus boost, with an easy to use scroll wheel is electronically controlled to spin at a precise speed no matter what the load. Accessories include 2 scraper beaters, 2 dough hooks, and 2 balloon whisks which are housed in a storage case which clips under the unit so nothing gets lost. Pause function holds your setting while you prepare or add ingredients. Quick release trigger and swivel cord also featured.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Hand Mixers
Since the handheld rotary egg beater was patented in 1884, professional chefs and home cooks alike have looked for the best appliance for mixing ingredients. Whether you are whipping heavy cream, beating eggs or blending a cake mix, choosing the best hand mixer for your needs takes consideration.
First, determine whether you need a hand mixer. If you frequently mix items in smaller amounts, a hand mixer is ideal. There is no need to pull out and clean up a cumbersome stand mixer for scrambled eggs or meringue to top a pie.
How you plan to use your hand mixer can also help determine what attachments can benefit you most. If you only pull it out of the cupboard once in a rare while to make a special breakfast or meal, a pair of standard beaters might be sufficient. If you want to whisk eggs or whip cream, a whisk attachment is a useful addition. Extra-long beaters might be nice if you want to use the mixer in a deep bowl. Dough hooks are ideal if you are a frequent baker who likes to make bread and other dough-based recipes.
Consider the comfort and ergonomics of a hand mixer when shopping for the right one. The handle should be comfortable and easy to grip to avoid cramping or fatigue when using it, especially when you are preparing multiple recipes. The weight of the mixer could make it more or less comfortable and easy to use as well.
Settings and switches are other factors to think about. Considering how you will use the hand mixer can help you make this determination. For instance, if you mostly whip up boxed brownies or pancake batter, a hand mixer with two or three speeds is likely sufficient. However, if you want to cream butter, blend thick batter or mix up chunky mashed potatoes, you might want to look at mixers with multiple speeds and settings (the Breville version offers an easy screen display).
The brand name can also come into play when choosing between hand mixers. Some brands have a reputation for quality and have been shown to stand the test of time. For instance, KitchenAid is quite literally the first name in mixers designed for home cooks. The KitchenAid 9-Speed Digital Hand Mixer includes multiple attachments, such as dough hooks and a blending rod. Oster is another brand known for durability. The Oster 2500 Inspire 240-watt five-speed hand mixer is powerful and versatile enough to easily tackle common mixing tasks, yet its ergonomic design and contour grip offer comfort and ease of use.
Any cook will affirm that cleanup can be the most daunting part of preparing a meal or baking a special treat. Find out what is involved in taking the mixer apart and cleaning the different pieces. Can you pop out the beaters and tuck them into the dishwasher, or is it complicated to disassemble and put back together? The easier a hand mixer is to use, clean and put away, the more likely you are to use it again and again. For instance, the Cuisinart Power Advantage Plus nine-speed hand mixer comes with its own storage case. The mixing attachments and the power cord tuck inside of the see-through case while the mixer itself snaps on to the top, making storage a breeze. Bonus: You never have to dig through a cluttered drawer to find your attachments.
Of course, the price of a hand mixer is important to take into account. Determining how much you want to spend before you begin shopping and then making a list of your non-negotiable features, as well as any extras you would like to have, will give you the information you need to find the right hand mixer for your kitchen.
DWYM Fun Fact
By the early 1900s, commercial bakeries were using massive 80 quart-capacity mixers. Several years later, Hobart Manufacturing Company was testing a scaled-down (but still large) version when an executives wife called it “the best kitchen aid” she had ever used. That’s how the KitchenAid brand name that is still used widely today came to be.
Eventually, companies were able to scale mixers down even further to create increasingly portable and affordable alternatives to stand mixers, which we know as hand mixers.
The Hand Mixer Buying Guide
- Even if you have used multiple hand mixers, take the time to read the owner’s manual or instructions that accompany your new mixer. There might be important warnings, significant details or awesome features that you would otherwise miss out on.
- Unplug your mixer when you are not using it as well as when you remove, install or replace attachments. Doing so could prevent you from injuring yourself or damaging the device.
- Start at zero when inserting the beaters or other attachments into the bowl. Move up the speed one level at a time to avoid breaking the mixer, overbeating ingredients or making a mess of your kitchen.
- Use lower speeds for thicker or harder recipes, such as creamed butter or biscuit dough. Reserve higher speeds for liquidy ingredients, like eggs, cream or thin batter.
- Always remove any attachments before attempting to clean them. Keeping the body of a hand mixer away from water is an important way to prevent damage.
- Never allow children to use a hand mixer unattended. Although it might seem like a small, rather simple gadget, improper use could result in damage to the appliance at a minimum or injury at the worst.
- You can use a hand mixer to shred cooked chicken. Place boneless pieces of cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl. Insert the mixer into the bowl, turn it on and mix away! The beaters will slowly but surely shred the meat to the perfect consistency to use in your favorite recipe.
- Another creative way to use your hand mixer is to make your favorite coffee beverages at home. Pour the desired amount of milk or cream into a large mug or glass measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Using a single beater attachment, froth the warm milk to your desired consistency and add it to your coffee.