Bowflex SelectTech 552
Last updated date: June 10, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 and dug through the reviews from 43 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, New York Times Wirecutter, Best Reviews Guide, Home Gymr, Top Reviews, Fit Rated, Groom and Style, MMA Life, Healthy Home Lifting, X Boom Fitness, List Outdoor, Best Women's Workout Reviews, ratingle, Homethods, Best Fitness Equipment, Easy Stay Fit, Wear Action, Smart Monkey Fitness, Garage Gym Power, Verywell Fit, Workout Gadget, Fitness Tech Pro, Dr. Body Gadget, Top 10 Great, The Home Fit Freak, Gear We Are, Much Needed, Rainy Day Fitness, Wiki EZ Vid, Fitness Rocks, Exercise ACCS, Form Me Fit, Jaime Is Running, Product Report Card, The Best Weight Bench, Plumbar Oakland, Best For Lives, Escapes With You, Best Body Gym Equipments, Tech Impose and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Adjustable Dumbbells you should buy.
The Bowflex SelectTech 552 truly impresses with its one-of-a-kind dial system, earning it a No. 1 spot among competing products. You'll enjoy ease of use when you dial your desired weight and lift the dumbbell off its stand. After you've completed your daily workout, you have the bonus option of downloading the free Bowflex SelectTech App and tracking your progress. In our analysis of 228 expert reviews, the Bowflex Bowflex SelectTech 552 placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 20, 2019:
Checkout The Best Adjustable Dumbbells for a detailed review of all the top .
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
With just the turn of a dial you can automatically change your resistance from 5 lbs. all the way up to 52.5 lbs of weight. No more picking up 30 different dumbbells to get the results you want, these adjustable dumbbells replace 15 sets of weights! All you need is two SelectTech 552 Dumbbells to transform your body for good. Compatible with the free Bowflex SelectTech training App for iOS and Android.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On
- To maintain your free weights and keep them in excellent shape, you’ll need to set them down carefully at the end of each session, instead of throwing them on the floor. Not only is this bad for the dumbbells, but it could potentially damage your floors as well. Equally as important is not banging the free weights together.
- Cleaning is also essential to your maintenance routine. Simply mix a little dish soap in warm water, and use the solution to wipe down your gear. Afterward, you’ll need to take a clean dry cloth and dry off the dumbbells. If you allow the weights to air dry, they may rust, so don’t skip this step unless your dumbbells are made entirely of rubber.
- Even though adjustable dumbbells can be used by almost anyone, it is still important to learn the proper form before attempting to exercise with the free weights. You’ll want to check out reputable online videos or consult with a personal trainer to learn the best way to use the equipment so that you don’t pull or injure your muscles in any way.
- Some adjustable dumbbell models come with expansion kits. For example, the Power Block PowerBlock Elite Dumbbells are up to 50 pounds, but workout enthusiasts who want to push themselves can order the 70- to 90-pound expansion kit without having to purchase a whole new free weights set. This is an excellent option to have if you think anyone in the home may eventually surpass their original goals.
- Look for the opportunity to connect to the company’s app. Bowflex has a free download that its customers can take advantage of. With the app, you can create a workout, follow workouts that are already downloaded to the app and track your progress in the area of physical fitness.
- Check to see if the weights come with a warranty. Some models, like the Bowflex SelectTech 552 only have a 2-year warranty. Other models, like the Power Block PowerBlock Elite Dumbbells offer an impressive 10-year warranty. If the model you’re interested in doesn’t have a decent warranty, you may want to consider buying a 2 or 3-year protection plan.
- The price for adjustable dumbbells varies based on features and the total weight offered. You’ll find the CAP Barbell 40lbs Adjustable Dumbbell and the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells fall on the lower end of the price range at just under $50, while the Bowflex SelectTech 552 and the Power Block PowerBlock Elite Dumbbells are on the higher end at approximately $300.
DYWM Fun Fact
In 1764, Charles Messier discovered a planetary nebula, officially named Messier 27. Since the nebula looked so much like the popular dumbbell exercisers use to lift weights, it got the nickname the “Dumbbell nebula.” According to NASA, you’d need to travel 1,360 light years to reach the Dumbbell nebula, which is located within the Vulpecula constellation.
When it comes to physical dumbbells that are used for weight training, the first model can be traced back over 2,000 years to Greece. In the 5th century BC, the Greeks had a version of the dumbbell that they referred to as halteres. They used this device to perform lunges, abdominal side bends and bicep curls.
It wasn’t until 1846 that dumbbells became commonplace in America. This was all thanks to John Blundell writing and publishing the book, “The Muscles and Their Story.” Fitness buffs took note of how using the dumbbell benefited various muscle groups and began inventing new exercises for the dumbbell to work almost every muscle in the body. Today, fitness trainers may instruct you to complete everything from tricep kickbacks to seated shoulder presses to flat and incline chest presses.
The Adjustable Dumbbells Buying Guide
When it comes to gym equipment, dumbbells are the most versatile. They are an excellent tool for building muscle, and they can be used by almost anyone. Whether you are a novice with a physical limitation or an advanced athlete, adjustable dumbbells can be incorporated into your workout routine. For example, you can use low-weight dumbbells while seated, or add pounds to the dumbbells to use while standing.
Perhaps the first feature you’ll want to look for when shopping for adjustable dumbbells is shape. While the majority of dumbbells are made up of the traditional wheels with a metal bar in between, there are models with a square or hexagon shape. There are several benefits to each design. For example, the Power Block PowerBlock Elite Dumbbells have a square shape that will rest flat on the ground. That means you’ll be able to do push-ups off of them. Of course, the circular models may feel more comfortable to hold, depending on your preferences.
Next, determine your total goal in pounds for lifting weights. Look for a set of dumbbells that will allow you to work your way up to that specific weight. So if you want to max out at 50 pounds, you don’t want to buy a set of adjustable dumbbells that only offer a total of 40 pounds. Otherwise, you’d never reach your goal, or you’d have to fork over money for a new set of dumbbells.
While reviewing the total weight, you’ll also need to look for the starting weight and what increments the dumbbell set uses to work you up to your total goal weight. Are there 2.5, 3 or 5-pound increments? Is it easy to add each new weight to the dumbbell? You want to be able to work at your own pace to reach your desired results.
Make sure the set of free weights you’re interested in is made of quality material. It is common to see adjustable dumbbells made of metal, rubber or metal and rubber. The Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells have durable cast iron plates and loose-resistant rubber trims. They are designed to withstand a lot of abuse in the gym (or home gym).
Consider whether the dumbbells have any special features. The CAP Barbell 40lbs Adjustable Dumbbell has ergonomic grips so your hands don’t slip when you start to work up a sweat. You’ll also want to look for threaded collars that allow for a more secure fit, a finish that prevents rust and corrosion and weights that are compact enough to fit in your storage space.