Boulder Creek Men’s Big & Tall Expedition Parka Coat
Last updated date: August 8, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Men's Winter Jackets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Men's Winter Jacket you should buy.
In our analysis of 75 expert reviews, the Boulder Creek Boulder Creek Men's Big & Tall Expedition Parka Coat placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Men’s Winter Jacket for a detailed review of all the top men's winter jackets.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Cold weather’s got nothing on our Boulder Creek Expedition Parka Coat. It's a microfiber hooded parka with a plush fleece lining for extra warmth. It’s also equipped with a detachable hood and plenty of pockets including hand warmer pockets. Winter’s Complete Solution – This parka is fleece-lined and has quilted polyfill in the sleeves. Cold Weather Tech – A two-way zip-front opens and closes with easy and a snap storm flap provides extra coverage. The detachable hood and adjustable elastic Velcro cuffs let you customize your level of protection. Room for Storage – Looking for pockets? Say no more. This parka has upper snap-flap patch pockets, lower snap-flap/hand warmer pockets plus additional inside pockets. Polyester Big length approx. 34"; Tall length approx. 36" Machine wash; imported
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Men's Winter Jackets
The cold winter months can seem to last an eternity, but it’s much easier when you have a coat to keep you warm. This is especially important if you spend significant time outdoors. If you are heading for the ski slopes, you may need a warmer, more weather-resistant jacket than someone who merely needs to stay warm during those short trips from a car to a building.
Weather resistance is definitely a consideration in a jacket, no matter how you’ll be wearing it. When precipitation is falling, you need a jacket that will not only keep you warm, but will stop rain, ice or snow from penetrating the layers and making its way to your skin. The best jackets not only provide warmth but also keep you dry whether you’re on the slopes or waiting for your Uber ride on a busy city street.
But it can be tough to find a jacket that keeps you warm while also being lightweight enough to carry around with you. If you need to toss your jacket into a suitcase, a bulky, heavy coat can quickly become a problem. Added bulk can also make a jacket less comfortable than it would otherwise be. For that reason, some men prefer fleeces to traditional coats and jackets. The material provides warmth while still being lightweight enough for every occasion. Many lightweight jackets also use the latest materials to keep their build lightweight while still providing warmth during the most extreme temperature drops.
Pockets are also a consideration when you’re searching for a jacket. If you plan to slip your wallet or electronic devices inside, you’ll definitely want to be on the lookout for a jacket that’s waterproof and make sure the pockets include that safety feature. Having a safe, dry place to store your items can come in very handy whether you’re indulging in winter sports or just moving around town.
DWYM Fun Fact
Mankind has always struggled to find warmth during the coldest conditions, going all the way back to the Inuits in Canada. Eskimo women crafted coats from the insides of seals and whales, with the results coated in fish oil. Going by the name amauti, these coats included drawstrings for the hoods and a pouch to help moms keep babies warm. One of the most interesting inventions, though, came from Eddie Bauer, which began when the designer was on a fishing trip in 1935. His battle with hypothermia inspired him to create a winter coat to beat all others, which is what led to the first down jacket.
The Men's Winter Jacket Buying Guide
- If you’re shopping for a jacket, providing warmth is probably at the top of the list. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket excels in that area, offering 240g polyester fiber that offers some of the best protection against cold weather. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka also uses polyester construction, combined with a heavyweight insulation.
- Down feathers are often used in jackets to keep wearers warm without adding weight. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket includes down feather padding inside a quilted outer shell to insulate you from the cold weather.
- The attached gloves found on the Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket can come in handy. Just slip your thumb through the hole to keep your hands warm, no matter what you’re doing. You’ll also get elastic wristbands that velcro into place to keep air from seeping through the arms. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka uses adjustable cuffs to keep your arms warm.
- It’s also important to consider the weight of your chosen coat. If you aren’t spending hours at a time outdoors, the Columbia Men’s Steens Mountain Full Zip Soft Fleece may be a better choice. The fleece provides warmth without adding bulk. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket is also a good choice for those who want a warm jacket that they can easily toss into a suitcase or gym bag.
- When you add precipitation to the mix, an otherwise insulating jacket can quickly become a liability. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket performs best in this area, with a shell that’s both waterproof and wind repellent. Quilted jackets like the Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket also do well in rainy conditions.
- Pockets come in especially handy during the winter months, giving you a place to store your car keys, electronic devices and wallet. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket has two zippered hand pockets, one zippered chest pocket, one internal pocket and one internal pocket specifically designed to keep your electronic devices dry and secure. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka features four large front pockets, including one on the arm, and multiple interior pockets, including one specifically designed for device storage.