Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker
Last updated date: January 7, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Bluetooth Speakers and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including Consumer Reports, Tom's Guide, Tech Radar, CNET, Tech Gear Lab, Sound Vision Review and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bluetooth Speaker you should buy.
If you're looking for rich sound in a more affordable Bose model, this is the speaker to consider. This speaker, which comes in five different colors, offers high-quality sound in a portable design. In our analysis of 53 expert reviews, the Bose Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note March 15, 2019:
Checkout The Best Bluetooth Speaker for a detailed review of all the top bluetooth speakers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
If music is your motivation, wait until you hear the Bose Sound Link Color Bluetooth speaker. It plays your favorite tunes from your favorite Bluetooth device—out loud in clear, full audio—just about anywhere you want to go. It's small, durable and simple to use. And it comes in a spectrum of colors to match almost any style. The Sound Link Color speaker suits your active, mobile lifestyle. The body is constructed of durable materials, and its rounded, compact shape fits easily into your bag or backpack. The Sound Link Color speaker has a range of about 30 feet, so you can enjoy your music out loud, without wires. It pairs with your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth device. Voice prompts talk you through Bluetooth pairing, making it simple. And the speaker remembers the eight most recent devices you've used, so reconnecting is even easier. The speaker can connect to two Bluetooth devices at the same time, letting you switch between them quickly—when the first device stops playing, the second can start. The Sound Link Color speaker lets you play your music wherever you are, whatever you're doing. It's compact and light enough (1.25 pounds) to take along even when you're traveling light. The speaker is designed for ease of use. It features power, volume and source buttons. You control other functions from your Bluetooth device. Don't let the Sound Link Color speaker's small size fool you. It may be compact, but it delivers a satisfying listening experience. Proprietary technologies and a unique design produce clear, well-balanced, full-range sound. More features: Auxiliary input enables you to connect to other audio sources, like a tablet or MP3 player, Charges with most USB power sources or the included wall charger and Micro USB port allows for charging and software updates. What's in the box: Sound Link Color Bluetooth speaker, Wall charger and Cable.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bluetooth Speakers
At one time, if you wanted to listen to music at home, you needed a full stereo system, complete with large speakers and a CD or record player. But if you’re like many consumers, your music now resides on your smartphone, whether it’s songs you’ve purchased and downloaded or through a streaming service like Pandora or Spotify.
Sure, you can listen to your music through earbuds or the tiny little speaker built into your phone. But what if you’re having people over? Or what if you simply want to blast some tunes to keep you entertained while you tackle some big household project? For that, you’ll need a Bluetooth speaker. Simply connect it to your phone and press play.
Of course, one of the biggest benefits of Bluetooth speakers is that you can take them with you. Whether you’re planning a day at the beach or you just want some music while you’re hanging out with friends, the right speaker can have you up and running in minutes.
But chances are, you’re choosing a Bluetooth speaker based on a variety of factors. Your budget is important, but you also want to make sure you get the sound you want. If you’re taking it on that beach vacation, you’ll also want to make sure it can handle the occasional accidental splash of water. With so many options, the good news is that you can easily find a speaker that checks all of your boxes at a price that fits your budget.
As you’re shopping, though, consider exactly what you’ll be doing with your speaker. If you’ll be tossing it into your backpack or overnight bag, weight is an important factor. You may instead want to keep it in the shower or the edge of your bathtub, which makes water resistance important. When you factor in sound quality, the right choice will probably be clear.
DYWM Fun Fact
Bluetooth technology uses radio waves to allow two devices to communicate. At one time, making this communication happen could be clunky, but today’s phones can usually connect with just a couple of clicks. Once you’ve finished the initial pairing, your device should automatically connect when you press the power button on the speaker. At the very least, you’ll have to go to settings and click the speaker name to pair it manually. The only problem is, you may find that once you’ve added multiple Bluetooth devices, you have a hard time differentiating between them. From the start, try to give each device as specific a name as possible to help you remember it.
The Bluetooth Speaker Buying Guide
- If you’re buying a speaker, great sound quality probably tops your must-have list. No matter what features a speaker has, in the end, it’s all about the listening experience. Sound quality can be subjective, but all of today’s top speakers excel when it comes to producing clean bass without being overwhelming. You can’t go wrong with Bose speakers when it comes to top-quality sound, but don’t rule out the Marshall Stanmore Bluetooth speaker, which offers smooth bass lines and controls to let you customize your experience.
- One of the best things about today’s Bluetooth speakers is that you don’t have to leave them at home. But if you plan to take your speaker with you, weight is an important factor. The OontZ Angle 3 speaker wins in this area, weighing in at only 0.5 pounds. Bose’s SoundLink speakers weigh in at between 1.25 and 1.5 pounds. The Marshall Stanmore speaker is better suited for home use, with a weight of more than 12 pounds.
- As important as sound quality and portability are, though, you can’t get around the cost factor. Although it has the least impressive sound, the ultra-portable OontZ Angle 3 will be light on your bank account at less than $30. Compare this to the Marshall Stanmore’s price tag of around $250. You can compromise with the Bose SoundLink, which costs around $150 for the basic version and roughly $200 for the SoundLink Revolve.
- Portable speakers let you listen to your tunes in the shower or while lounging poolside. But you’ll need to make sure your speaker can withstand the occasional accidental splash. While none of the speakers are waterproof, two do offer a certain amount of water resistance: the OontZ Angle 3 and the Bose SoundLink Revolve.
- If you’re leaving the house with your speaker, you’ll want a battery that can keep you going throughout the day. The Oontz Angle 3 will provide the longest playtime, with up to 14 hours of battery life, but that’s followed closely by the Bose SoundLink Revolve, which promises up to 12 hours of battery power. You’ll get up to eight hours with the Bose SoundLink. Further adding to the Marshall Stanmore speaker’s limits is the fact that it has to be plugged in for use.