Boppy Traditional Supportive Breastfeeding Pillow
Last updated date: January 2, 2023
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Breastfeeding Pillows and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Breastfeeding Pillow you should buy.
Update as September 13, 2021:
Checkout The Best Breastfeeding Pillow for a detailed review of all the top breastfeeding pillows.
In our analysis of 40 expert reviews, the Boppy Traditional Supportive Breastfeeding Pillow placed 11th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The original, award-winning Boppy Feeding and Infant Support Pillow celebrates nearly three decades of supporting moms, dads and babies! The Boppy Cotton Blend Nursing Pillow comes dressed in a cottony cute, allover fashion slipcover. It not only lifts babies to a more ergonomic position for comfortable feedings, but also transitions to support them as they grow offering the perfect spot for tummy time, playing, sitting or just discovering little fingers and toes. Have an extra nursing pillow slipcover on hand for use between wash cycles
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Parenting Pro and Safe-Sleep Expert
Kate Desmond is a writer and infant safe-sleep expert. She has spent the last eight years working as the marketing director for Charlie’s Kids Foundation, a nonprofit that aims to educate families about SIDS and safe sleep. In that role, she travels around the country learning and educating caregivers and providers on the latest and greatest safe-sleep information to prevent infant death.
As mom to two elementary-aged daughters, she spends hours researching the best and safest products for her own kids. She is quick to get in the weeds with other mamas, and uses humor to cope with parenting woes from potty-training to teaching kids to read. She writes about the ups and downs of parenting on her blog.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Breastfeeding Pillows
As any new parent knows, breastfeeding isn’t always easy or comfortable (or even possible!). The strain of holding the baby while breastfeeding or bottle-feeding can cause mothers to have neck, shoulder, back, arm, wrist and hand pain. Having an improper posture while breastfeeding can also cause the baby to have a shallow latch on the breast, which can lead to cracked or bleeding nipples for the mother. The poor latch can result in low milk intake from the babies, leading to hunger, frustration and slow weight gain.
A nursing pillow is especially helpful when parents are first getting the hang of feeding newborns, Kate Desmond, an infant safe-sleep expert and mom of two children, says.
“Whether you choose to breastfeed or bottle-feed, a nursing pillow can prove useful and provide extra support for you and your baby,” Desmond says. “No matter how light your child may seem, after 15-20 minutes of feeding, even a pint-size baby can start to feel heavy in your tired arms.”
For breastfeeding mothers, the main goal of a good breastfeeding pillow is to bring the baby closer to the mother’s breast, without having to put strain on the mother, especially given how often newborns need to eat. Being closer enables the baby to latch on to the mother’s breast properly, reducing the chances of sore nipples and poor milk intake.
“There is a reason one brand of these magic pillows is named My Breast Friend,” Desmond says. “You will spend almost as much time with this pillow as you do your actual baby.”
Most nursing pillows are in a U shape. They are designed to go around the caregiver’s waist while he or she is sitting comfortably in a chair. The baby is then placed on the breastfeeding pillow in her caregiver’s lap. For nursing mothers, the pillow raises the baby to the proper height that the mother needs in order to latch the baby to her breast. For bottle-feeding, the pillow provides much-needed support to help the caregiver comfortably feed the baby. The height of the pillow can be adjusted by adding blankets or pillows underneath to raise it to the right level.
“Most nursing pillows come with removable covers,” Desmond points out. “This is key because feeding a baby can be messy. I like to have a spare cover or two so I’m never without one. Covers come in anything from cotton to muslin to fleece. You can even find a cover to match your baby’s nursery.”
Desmond says that added features like a pocket for your phone can be helpful, too.
Breastfeeding pillows aren’t just for feeding. In fact, they have many other uses. During pregnancy, women can use a breastfeeding pillow to provide much-needed back support while sitting. If placed backward with the curve at the back instead of the front, it alleviates some back pain.
If a mother has had an episiotomy as a result of the birth, a nursing pillow can be used to provide comfort during sitting. Sitting on top of the breastfeeding pillow can alleviate pressure from the stitches.
When babies start to sit up around six months of age, they can be a bit wobbly and fall over from time to time. A breastfeeding pillow can be placed behind them to provide them with sitting support and to soften their fall.
“Just make sure you use the nursing pillow when you are awake,” Desmond cautions. “A nursing pillow is never for sleeping, so just be mindful to move your baby to a safe place if they fall asleep while feeding.”
The Breastfeeding Pillow Buying Guide
- The most important element to look for when searching for the right breastfeeding pillow is comfort. The main purpose of using a breastfeeding pillow is to make nursing or bottle-feeding easier for the caregiver. That’s why it’s important to look at the ergonomic design of the nursing pillow and feel the material to ensure that it’s comfortable for you.
- The My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow has a unique design that wraps around the mother and provides back support, which is crucial during nursing. The Boppy Bare Naked Nursing Pillow and Boppy Original Nursing Pillow are both plush and offer comfortable arm support while holding the baby. On the other hand, some breastfeeding pillows have two surfaces. One side of the pillow is firm, while the other side is plush, so moms can choose which side they want on their laps and which side they want to lay the baby on.
- Not all moms and babies breastfeed the same way. There are many nursing holds mothers can try in order to find one that is most comfortable for them and the baby. Depending on what kind of hold you use, you may need a particular kind of pillow to support your hold. The most common breastfeeding holds that can be aided by a breastfeeding pillow include football hold, cross-cradle hold and cradle hold. Depending on the mother’s and baby’s preferences, a soft or hard surface may be required.
- The My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow has a sturdy and firm surface, while The Boppy Bare Naked Nursing Pillow and Boppy Original Nursing Pillow, Peaceful Jungle both have a soft and malleable surface.
- Breastfeeding can be messy. It’s common for newborn babies to spit up during and immediately after nursing, which is why it’s important to consider how easy your breastfeeding pillow is to clean. The My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow has a removable and machine washable cover, as does the Boppy Original Nursing Pillow, Peaceful Jungle. The Boppy Bare Naked Nursing Pillow and Boppy Original Nursing Pillow, Peaceful Jungle can be put into the washing machine as well, in addition to any separate covers. Other pillows can only be put into the washing machine after removing the foam insert and pillow belt.
- Not all mothers are the same size, so it’s important to try out your breastfeeding pillow to ensure it fits your body type. The My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow fits smaller women. The Boppy Original Nursing Pillow, Peaceful Jungle fits women of all sizes.
- If you’re a mom on the move, you may want a breastfeeding pillow that is easily portable. My Brest Friend Original Nursing Posture Pillow is bulky and may be difficult to take with you wherever you go. On the other hand, The Boppy Bare Naked Nursing Pillow and Boppy Original Nursing Pillow, Peaceful Jungle are easier to cart around as they are soft and malleable.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide