Boppy Original Newborn Lounger, Hello Baby
Last updated date: October 31, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Baby Pillow/Loungers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Baby Pillow/Lounger you should buy.
In our analysis of 182 expert reviews, the Boppy Boppy Original Newborn Lounger, Hello Baby placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note February 19, 2020:
Checkout The Best Baby Pillow/Lounger for a detailed review of all the top baby pillow/loungers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, baby pillow, baby lounger, boppy, baby items boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, baby pillow, baby lounger, boppy, baby items 30 years of supporting moms, dads and babies! Support for All Momkind. The Original, Beloved Boppy Nursing Pillow was created by a Mom-inventor back in 1989. Encouraged by happy moms, dads and babies, we expanded our products to include travel accessories, prenatal and postnatal support. Boppy Original Newborn Lounger The perfect little nest! The Boppy Original Newborn Lounger is one of the perfect nest for your baby. Uniquely recessed center cradles your baby giving you a hands-free moment. Easy to transport with attached carrying handle and the entire pillow is machine washable. The perfect little nest for your baby with a moment of hands-free bliss for you boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, baby pillow, baby lounger, boppy, baby items boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, baby pillow, baby lounger, boppy, baby items Easy-wipe fabric for the little messes and machine washable pillow for the big ones Cradles your baby at a gentle angle Snap photos, watch or simply enjoy a hands-free moment during your baby's awake time only. Use anywhere in the house Light as a swing or a bouncer and no batteries or assembly required. Comes with a sewn in handle for easy portability. Machine washable Easy-wipe fabric for the little messes and machine washable pillow for the big ones. boppy pillow, nursing pillow, baby pillow, baby essentials, baby lounger, boppy, baby items Boppy Original Newborn Lounger Features: Recessed interior cradles smaller babies Recommended for newborns - 16 lbs. or until your baby can roll on his own Handle for easy portability Wipeable fabric or machine was entire pillow Designed for your baby's supervised awake time More Beloved Boppy Products boppy, boppy pillow, nursing pillow, comfyfit, baby carrier boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, infant, newborn, nursing boppy pillow, boppy pillow cover, nursing pillow, infant, newborn, nursing Boppy ComfyFit Baby Carrier Boppy Original Nursing Pillow Boppy Latch Breastfeeding Pillow
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Baby Pillow/Loungers
Parents can’t hold their infants all day long or they’d never get anything done around the house. Baby pillows and loungers are the perfect solution to this dilemma, as they are designed to cuddle your baby while you attend to your chores. As you browse different pillow and lounger models, you’ll want to look for the following traits:
Choose a pillow made from organic cotton. Not only is this material hypoallergenic and gentle on sensitive skin, but it’s also eco-friendly and free from any dyes or bleach. Of course, cotton is also known for being soft and breathable.
Consider the material used to make the lounger’s filling. The DockATot All in One Baby Lounger has a filling with anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It’s fabrics also resist heat retention, which means your baby will remain cool and comfortable throughout his or her time in the pillow.
Feel the baby lounger and make sure it’s light in weight. Ideally, you want it to be three pounds or less so that it can easily be moved from one room to another while you clean. It’s also helpful if the unit has a set of handles, like the Boppy Original Newborn Lounger, Elephant Love Gray, as this makes transport a breeze.
Review how the lounger is able to cradle your newborn. Does it have a center depression that is surrounded by cushioned sides that act as a nest, or does it have a center sling, like the Snuggle Me Organic Sensory Lounger for Baby, which draws close to your baby when you set him or her in the lounger? The important thing is that your baby feels safe and secure while relaxing in the pillow.
Check to make sure the model you’re interested in is able to meet any specific needs your baby might have. Some loungers come at a slight incline to help with acid reflux, while others are designed for healthy back posture. You’ll even find models made to help prevent flat head syndrome.
Opt for a baby lounger that is versatile and able to grow with your child. There are pillows that can be used for tummy time, as well as diaper changes. Some also have buckles or buttons by the feet that can be opened as your baby grows.
Lastly, review the baby lounger’s available colors and patterns. You may find one that matches the theme in your baby’s nursery. You may also opt for a pillow that comes in the shape of a cute animal. The JOHN N TREE Organic Baby Protective Pillow, for example, comes in elephant, lamb, monkey, puppy and bunny shapes.
DYWM Fun Fact
The first patented baby pillow was created by Tien-Hsi Han in 1998. Han designed the baby pillow to do several things. First, he wanted a pillow that kept the baby from turning its head to the side during sleep. He noted that babies have soft skulls that are malleable when left in the same position for a long period of time. The pillow would prevent the head from becoming disfigured during long stretches of sleep.
The second part of Han’s design was the cotton side walls that kept outside noises from reaching the baby’s ears. This would allow the baby to continue resting without being disturbed, which was also great for parents who needed to get a few chores done around the house.
While the original design had components that had to be folded, like the two sides, before the baby pillow could be used, newer designs don’t require this. Most modern baby pillows and loungers are now made ready to use without the need for any modifications. Newer models have also been adjusted to account for additional health issues that are common among infants, such as acid reflux and flat head syndrome.
The Baby Pillow/Lounger Buying Guide
- Look for any extra awards, like the Mom’s Choice Award, or special certifications, such as the International Certification Control Union and the National Organic Standards Board. You may also find the company offers a customer satisfaction guarantee. These are all just further indications that the baby pillow is quality made and that the company stands behind its products.
- Review the baby lounger’s care instruction label before attempting to clean it. You’ll find some loungers are easy to spot clean, while others require a full wash. You may be able to remove a cover and simply wash that, or you may need to toss the entire pillow into the washing machine. Some companies recommend placing the pillow in a laundry bag first, while others require you to wash the pillow as-is using the washing machine’s gentle cycle. When it comes to drying the lounger, the instructions may list the ability to use the dryer on low heat or they may suggest avoiding the heat from the dryer and allowing the pillow to air dry naturally.
- When using a baby lounger, it is important that you always supervise your baby.
- Always place your baby on his or her back during nap and sleep times, as this is the recommended position for reducing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). You’ll also want to reserve sleep times for a crib that meets the standards set by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Never use a traditional pillow with a baby under the age of 18 months. This poses a risk of suffocation.
- You’ll find one of the main differences in baby pillow prices is the ability of the pillow to grow with your baby. The Boppy Original Newborn Lounger, Elephant Love Gray and the JOHN N TREE Organic Baby Protective Pillow are on the lower end of the pricing scale, as they cater to newborns and infants of up to three months only. The Snuggle Me Organic Sensory Lounger for Baby and the DockATot All in One Baby Lounger command a higher price because they can be used from infancy all the way to nine months of age.