Bonavita Variable Tempature Gooseneck Kettle
Last updated date: July 17, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Electric Kettles and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including New York Times Wirecutter, The Coffee Concierge, ratingle, Electric Cordless Water Kettle, Egeeky and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Electric Kettle you should buy.
Unlike other kettles, the Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck Kettle builds its controls into the base. This frees up the handle for holding while you pour. With a 1-liter capacity, this option's best for those who only drink a couple of cups at a time. An automatic shut-off feature will keep your home safe if you forget to turn off the power. In our analysis of 49 expert reviews, the Bonavita Bonavita Variable Tempature Gooseneck Kettle placed 3rd when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 17, 2019:
Checkout The Best Electric Kettle for a detailed review of all the top electric kettles.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
This full-featured electric kettle from Bonavita heats water to precisely the temperature you need, whether you're preparing pour-over coffee or the perfect cup of tea. Thoughtful features like 60-minute heat-and-hold and real-time temperature display make this the ideal kettle for creating all kinds of hot beverages.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Electric Kettles
Although Americans still drink more coffee than tea, hot tea holds its own, especially as more consumers learn the health benefits of certain types of the warm beverage. An electric kettle is a great way to heat up water quickly, whether you’re using it to make tea or hot cocoa. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can even use an electric kettle to make pour-over coffee, eliminating the need for a coffeepot.
Electric kettles take stovetop water heating to the next level. Many now have advanced features like temperature control, automatic shutoff and keep-warm. You won’t pay much more for a decent electric kettle than you would for a nice stovetop one. Best of all, they’re safer than boiling in a pan while being faster and more efficient than the microwave at getting water to the necessary temperature.
But not all electric kettles are equal when it comes to safety. It’s important to pay close attention to whether a kettle has a tendency to leak when you’re pouring, which could lead to burns. Some kettles also come with auto shut-off features so if you accidentally leave it on the warmer, you won’t have to worry about your house burning down while you’re at work.
One issue you’re probably familiar with is “boiling dry,” which is what happens when you set a pot on the stove to boil and forget about it until all the water is gone. Auto shut-off on some kettles is designed to protect against that issue, which is another way it keeps you safe.
Ease of use is perhaps the most important factor in choosing a kettle, though. You’ll want temperature controls that you can access easily, as well as a design that makes it comfortable to hold even if you have it full of hot water. Some electric kettles have attached lids, and if so, make sure the kettle you choose has a lid that stays open and closed at the appropriate times.
DYWM Fun Fact
There’s a reason hot tea has become popular among health-conscious consumers. The beverage is full of antioxidants, which has a variety of possible benefits, including reduced risk of infections and some types of cancer. Unlike other health boosters, antioxidants aren’t as effective as supplements, so tea is a great way to work it in through your everyday diet. You don’t have to stick with green tea for good health, either. Red, black and white tea all have flavonoids, which have been linked to a decrease in risk for heart diseases and stroke. They also have polyphenols, which are thought to help with Type 2 diabetes.
The Electric Kettle Buying Guide
- Now that kettles have gone electric, they need a power cord, but you have to be able to move around with your kettle. Manufacturers get around this through a two-part design that involves a corded base and a kettle that separates once your water has reached the design temperature. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle, the Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle, the Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck and the Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle all feature corded bases that stay in place as you lift the kettle off to pour the liquid.
- Each electric kettle has controls that allow you to adjust the temperature and put the unit in warming status. However, some locations are more convenient to access than others. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle and Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle build their controls into the handle for easy access. But you may prefer the Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck’s controls, which are on the base, freeing up the handle for comfortable holding as you pour.
- Your tea kettle’s spout will come into play both as you fill it with water and try to clean up once you’re done. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle and Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle both feature wide necks to make both of those things easier. However, the Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck has a spout that is designed to make pouring easier. You may find with the Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle, though, that the lid sometimes gets in the way when you’re trying to clean it.
- For cleanup, it doesn’t get easier than the Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle, which is made to be easily wiped off. Simply add some soapy water, and you’ll have a clean kettle.
- Chances are, you won’t need to fill your kettle to the top every time. For that reason, many electric kettles have water level indicators that help you see just how much water you’re heating. The Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle puts the water level windows on both sides of the units, which comes in handy for left-handed people who want to keep an eye on how much water they’re using while they’re pouring.
- How much water you can put in your kettle will come into play as well. The smallest kettle is the 1-liter Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck, which is only good for a few cups of coffee. It might be ideal for that person who only drinks a cup or two at a time. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle, Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle and Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle are each 1.7 liters in capacity, giving you enough for seven to eight cups per heat up. If you run out, you can always insert more water and warm it up again, though.
- Once you’ve heated enough water for your first cup, you’ll likely want your water to still be warm when you’re ready for a second round. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle and Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle both have warming features, so the water in your kettle will still be warm when you go back to it.
- Safety is important for any household appliance. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle, Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle, Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck and Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle all shut off when not in use.
- Looks are important in a kettle. Personal preference comes into play here, but the Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle and Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle both feature sleek, classy designs.
- If you want hot water quickly, power is an important feature. The Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle, Aicok Variable Temperature Electric Kettle and the Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle use a 1500-watt heating element to get your water to the desired temperature as quickly as possible.