BlueParrott Noise Canceling Bluetooth Headset
Last updated date: July 18, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Bluetooth Headsets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bluetooth Headset you should buy.
In our analysis of 84 expert reviews, the BlueParrott BlueParrott Noise Canceling Bluetooth Headset placed 7th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 19, 2019:
Checkout The Best Bluetooth Headset for a detailed review of all the top bluetooth headsets.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Everything about the BlueParrott B450-XT says MORE. It’s got the most effective (96%) noise-cancelling microphone. A considerably longer (up to 300-foot) wireless range*. A bigger, cushier ear cushion, and a more-comfortable, more-durable padded headband. The B450-XT also has more advanced Parrott ButtonTM features, like VoiceControlTM, for hands-free control of headset functions, and voice memo recorder. World-class sound & Advanced noise-canceling microphone eliminates 96% of ambient noise. ; HD Voice makes speech easier to hear and understand. Long wireless range & Roam up to 300 feet* from paired devices. Class 1 Bluetooth delivers extended range. ; 24+ hours of talk time/500 hours (20 days) of standby time per charge. Stay Connected & Tap to easily pair your phone or other Bluetooth devices via NFC.** Stream music or GPS instructions. A2DP support for streaming audio from Bluetooth devices. **One-touch pairing requires an NFC-capable cell phone or device. Enjoy extended comfort and convenience. Large ear cushion and padded headband are comfortable and durable. Customizable Parrott Button for mute, speed dial and more.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bluetooth Headsets
If you spend significant time on the phone every day, you probably know the value of a Bluetooth headset. Offering hands-free phone calls, these headsets have evolved over the years. Today’s headsets include noise-canceling capabilities to shut out background noise, both for you and the person at the other end of the call.
Before you start shopping for a Bluetooth headset, though, you’ll need to decide whether you plan to use it solely for phone calls or to listen to music as well. Although audio clarity is important for phone calls, you’ll need even better quality for music, especially if you’re picky about your sound quality.
Clear calls go beyond sound quality, though. Some modern Bluetooth headsets use noise-canceling technology to boost your call clarity. This means that if you take a call in a packed call center, you’ll be able to shut out all that background noise. Some headsets offer this feature to help you hear better, while others focus on making sure what you’re saying comes through loud and clear. Look for this feature on both ends if you regularly spend time in noisy places.
There are also two types of noise cancellation: active and passive. With active noise cancellation, the device monitors the surrounding environment and uses technology to create the perfect white noise to cancel it out. Passive noise cancellation has more to do with the build of the headphones. The way the earpiece seals against your ear, for instance, will keep noise out. Active noise cancellation can handle more decibels than passive, making it the best choice for those who are challenged to find some peace and quiet.
Comfort is always a concern when choosing a headset, and it’s one area that can be very subjective. Some consumers prefer an in-ear device, while others like an over-ear design. Fortunately, both models are readily available, so you should be able to find one that fits your own preferences.
It’s also important to make sure the headset will fit comfortably – something that’s challenging with so many different head shapes and sizes. Many manufacturers now make their headsets adjustable to account for that, so if your headset of choice doesn’t have that feature, you may need to get the measuring tape out and check the size of your head before you start shopping.
One final, very important consideration is how the headset you choose will interact with your devices. If you’re using it with a cellphone or tablet, make sure pairing is easy and calls will be routed appropriately, pausing music when a call comes in if you choose to listen to your favorite streaming audio service between calls. If you’re using it with your computer, make sure it provides a desktop icon to give you the controls you’ll need to manage calls.
DWYM Fun Fact
It may not seem like it, but Bluetooth technology wasn’t even around until the 1990s. Multiple tech companies were working on their own short-range radio technology to get around all the wires required to connect devices. A mobile computing engineer at Intel named Jim Kardach was part of the group working to create a standard that Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Nokia and Toshiba could use, but their initial proposal was rejected.
They decided what they really needed was a catchy name. Oddly, the name came to them during a pub crawl, while Kardach was exchanging history stories with colleague Sven Mattisson. Mattisson had just read a book called Longships, which told the story of Danish warriors led by a king named Harald Bluetooth. Kardach picked up a book soon after that also mentioned King Bluetooth, and he knew it was the perfect name for their technology.
The Bluetooth Headset Buying Guide
- The first thing you’ll do when you get your new headset is pair it with a computer or mobile device. As long as your device supports Bluetooth connectivity, this should be fairly easy. One benefit to the Plantronics Explorer 50 Bluetooth Headset, though, is its automatic setup. You’ll get whispered instructions to walk you through the setup process, making it easy for those who don’t want to deal with figuring out how to pair manually.
- If you plan to use your headset both for music and phone calls, the Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset will be the best choice for you. The sound quality is clear enough to enjoy tunes between calls.
- For those who routinely deal with noisy environments, the Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset or Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset should be at the top of your list. Volume controls make it easier to bump things up if you’re having trouble hearing.
- You’ll also want to ensure the person at the other end can hear what you’re saying. The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset and Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset both offer high-quality microphones. The Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset makes it easy to adjust the microphone to settle it exactly where it needs to be to optimize sound.
- You can improve sound even in the noisiest environments with noise-canceling technology. Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset uses Digital Signal Processing and three microphones to keep background noise at a minimum.
- You can’t control the weather, so the Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset builds in moisture resistance to keep electronics safe from those sudden rainstorms while you’re walking from your car to the building. It can also keep your electronics safe from sweat and light spills.
- One interesting feature with the Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset is an app called Spokes, which you can download to your PC to manage incoming calls.
- The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset also includes Smart Sensor Tech, which routes calls where they need to go based on the activities you’re engaged in when someone calls you. Just slip the headset on your ear when you’re ready to answer an incoming call.
- A mute button is also important for any headset you choose. The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset and Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset have mute buttons, although the Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset tends to beep constantly when you’re muted, which can get in the way of hearing what’s going on. Some headsets automatically mute when you flip the microphone up.
- Battery life is also important, especially if you’ll be using your headset for a full eight-hour workday. With any electronic device, you’ll get the best battery life in the early days but over time, it will start to decrease. The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset is impressive, with seven hours of talk time per charge, while the Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset offers only four or five hours with typical use.
- A comfortable fit can make a big difference, particularly for those who wear a headset for the entire workday. The Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset is both lightweight and comfortable, with ear cushions that nestle gently against your ears. It’s also adjustable, which means you’ll be able to find the perfect fit for you. The Plantronics Explorer 50 Bluetooth Headset also has a lightweight, comfortable build.
- The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset is better for use at a desk, with its size making it tough for traveling. It is one of the largest Bluetooth headsets you’ll find in its category, but it’s also one of the most full-featured.
- Voice control has become an essential feature with electronics. The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset includes voice commands to let you fully operate in hands-free mode. However, the voice command button is on the small side, making it tough to find in a pinch.
- Another downside of the Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset is its short charging cable. You’ll also have to buy the charging case and stand separately, so you’ll need to factor that in as you’re comparing prices.
- Plantronics headsets tend to have a sturdier design than other headsets in their class, but the Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset stacks up pretty well against them.
- One popular feature with some headsets is the busy light. Instead of trying to guess whether you’re on a call or not, your friends and coworkers can just look for the red ring, which lets them know not to disturb you.
- Range is also important when choosing a Bluetooth headset. Some are set up to let you move a sizable distance from a paired device, while others will require you to stay close to your device at all times. This isn’t as important a factor if you’re only going to be using it with a smartphone you plan to keep in your pocket, though. The Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset has a range of up to 30 feet.
- If you’re always on the go, you’ll also want to consider the time it will take to fully charge your headset. The Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth Headset charges from empty to full in just 90 minutes, while you’ll need to wait two hours to get your Mpow Pro Trucker Bluetooth Headset fully charged.