Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace
Last updated date: April 26, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Knee Braces and dug through the reviews from 8 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, New York Times Wirecutter, Body Gearable, Wiki EZ Vid, Runner Click, Breaking Muscle, The Modern Runner, Women's Guide and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Knee Brace you should buy.
A specially designed cushion helps the Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace apply pressure exactly where you need it, offering support and pain relief. This design keeps inflammation at a minimum, which can help ease pain. One con: on this knee brace is by far more expensive than others. In our analysis of 67 expert reviews, the Bauerfeind Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note April 30, 2019:
Checkout The Best Knee Brace for a detailed review of all the top knee braces.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Targeted support for pain relief and stabilization of the knee. If your knee is weak, swollen, painful or recovering from an injury, Bauerfeind’s GenuTrain knee braces and supports provide relief and stability for the knee joint. It relieves pain and protects the joint without limiting your mobility. Soft knit fabric makes the support stretchy and comfortable. Because it’s breathable, it keeps sweat away from your skin, unlike Neoprene and other inferior materials. Braces are machine washable in the gentle cycle which helps maintain its elasticity and original fit. Don’t bend and cave to knee pain; overcome it, with a GenuTrain knee brace and support by Bauerfeind. Viscoelastic Omega pad - surrounds and cushions the kneecap to relieve pain in the knee and connective tissue. Material: Knit Fabric, Viscoelastic.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Knee Braces
You don’t have time for knee pain. But if you’re active, your hard work is inevitably going to catch up with you in the form of an injury. When your knee is sore, a knee brace can be just what the doctor ordered to give you support so you can get back out there again.
But what features are important in a knee brace? A knee brace’s effectiveness actually starts with its material. Thicker neoprene can improve blood circulation and help keep everything in place. Some braces also use straps or strategically-placed openings to support the knee and keep the brace in the same position.
Slippage is actually a common complaint with knee braces. If it doesn’t stay in place while you’re moving around, it won’t be of much help. Some materials also tend to bunch behind the knee, making the brace less than comfortable. Neoprene tends to slip less than other fabrics, making it a popular material for knee braces.
In addition to staying in place, it’s also important to find a brace made from material with plenty of breathability. Whether you’re playing sports or just having fun with friends and family, you won’t want sweat to pool beneath the brace. Breathable fabric keeps moisture out so that you can enjoy many hours of wear.
Care instructions are also important since chances are you’ll be cleaning your knee brace after each wear. You’ll usually need to hand wash your brace, then set it out to dry. There are some braces you can buy that are machine washable in cold water on the gentle cycle, but they’ll still need to air dry. For that reason, if you plan to wear your knee brace on a daily basis, you may want to consider buying two. That way, you won’t have to wait for your brace to dry before wearing again.
DYWM Fun Fact
Knee braces can be used for both minimizing pain and preventing injury. But it’s important to find the right kind of brace since the build can provide completely different functionality. A functional brace stabilizes the knee to prevent further injury and promote healing. A rehabilitative brace is meant to be worn after surgery to stabilize the knee and limit movement.
There are also unloader braces, designed for arthritis sufferers, and prophylactic braces for preventing injury. Unfortunately, the jury’s still out on whether prophylactic braces actually work. The most common type of knee brace is a knee sleeve, which compresses the knee to support it and keep swelling at a minimum.
The Knee Brace Buying Guide
- If you’re suffering from pain, some braces are better than others at keeping that under control. The McDavid 401 Knee Support Brace uses strong seams built with a 5-needle stitch. This also helps with keeping your knee in place, which minimizes pain and helps prevent further injury. The Bracoo Knee Support has an open patella design that reduces the pressure placed on the kneecap while also keeping it in position. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace has a ring-shaped visco-elastic cushion it calls the Omega pad, which provides pain relief by delivering therapeutic pressure to the kneecap and soft tissues of the knee.
- Blood circulation is also essential to both healing promotion and pain reduction. The Bracoo Knee Support is built with extra-thick neoprene that boosts circulation.
- Inflammation can exacerbate knee pain. The build of the Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace helps keep inflammation under control while also reducing strain on the knee.
- A knee brace is only helpful if it’s covering the right space on your leg. Unfortunately, knee braces are prone to slipping. This seems to be a problem with the Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support, which lacks the grip tape and specialized design that other knee braces have, causing it to roll down more than others. The Bracoo Knee Support uses three Velcro belts to hold the brace in place, no matter what you’re doing. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace is also built to stay in place, but it can tend to bunch up behind the knee at times, making it uncomfortable at times.
- If you’re looking for a comfortable knee brace to wear all day long, the Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support is extremely comfortable. The Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support is made from a mix of latex-free neoprene and nylon for a stretchy type of comfort. However, the material can be itchy at times.
- Breathability is also important since moisture buildup can make even the most comfortable knee brace unbearable. The Bracoo Knee Support has perforated vents built in, as well as material that promotes moisture dissipation. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace is also designed to wick moisture from the skin, but you may find it’s tough to get it into position without pushing it fairly far up your thigh.
- Your knee brace will likely need to be washed fairly often. With the Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support, McDavid 401 Knee Support Brace and Bracoo Knee Support, you’ll have to hand wash in cold water only, then lay it flat or hang it to dry. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace is machine washable on the gentle cycle in cold water, but you’ll still have to air dry it. Since it takes a while to dry the type of material found in various knee braces, it might be wise to purchase two so that you’ll have one to wear while the other is drying.
- Fit can be a challenge with a knee brace since some follow the “one size fits most” manufacturing method. The Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support and McDavid 401 Knee Support Brace come in sizes from XS to XL, with the McDavid 401 Knee Support Brace even having an XXL size. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace has a numbers-based sizing system that uses the circumference of your knee as a measure. With the Bracoo Knee Support, there’s only one size, and it fits knees from 12.5″-18″ in circumference. However, the Velcro straps let you tighten it up to find the perfect fit.
- Knee braces vary widely in price, but the Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support, McDavid 401 Knee Support Brace and Bracoo Knee Support all retail for less than $15. The Bauerfeind GenuTrain Knee Brace is considerably more expensive, at more than $90.