Baby Alive Interactive Grow and Talk Doll
Last updated date: October 31, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Dolls and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Doll you should buy.
Update as October 31, 2022:
Checkout The Best Dolls for a detailed review of all the top dolls.
This battery-powered interactive doll "grows." As a newborn, her eyes open to reveal a surprise color. The doll says a first word, learns to sit up, grows taller and gets longer hair. Eventually, you’ll get more than 75 different phrases and words. Eight accessories are included. The doll can be reset, too.
In our analysis, the Baby Alive Baby Alive Interactive Grow and Talk Doll placed 7th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
She REALLY grows! Baby Alive Baby Grows Up interactive doll transforms from newborn to baby to big girl. She changes size 4 inches (10 cm) with kids’ care! Kids will also love her 8 happy-themed doll accessories. Will she be Happy Hope or Merry Meadow? Reveal 1 of 2 surprise dolls as you remove her from the package and she starts to wiggle! With first bottle, she opens her eyes to reveal color. Remove her hat to see her hair color. After rocking and pretend bottle feeding, she kicks out of her swaddle blanket! As a baby, Baby Alive Baby Grows Up talking doll sits up and says her first word. Kids can help her grow with pretend pouch feeding and bouncing movements. Hold her hands to help her stand. Now she’s a big girl who loves dress-up! Wow, her hair gets long when you use her brush and pull to extend it! Instructions and quickstart guide help kids care for their growing doll at every stage and reset her to play again!
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Dolls
They’re a classic staple of every home’s playroom, enjoyed by so many children over centuries of use. Dolls are considered one of the most important toys a child can have, as their human-like form allows young ones to make sense of the world. But, for a long time, dolls were assigned solely to female children; parents believed that playing with them would help girls develop the nurturing skills they would need as caregivers later on.
Experts today see the benefits of dolls for all children, regardless of gender. Interacting with dolls can help a child prepare for a new sibling or simply develop empathy and social skills. As children get older, doll play becomes more imaginative, which helps strengthen the creative part of a youth’s personality.
When it comes to purchasing dolls, you have plenty of options to choose from today. Baby dolls are popular with younger children, who progress to fashion figures like Barbie dolls as they grow up. You’ll even find posable figures designed for kids who aren’t quite old enough for the small accessories that come with Barbie.
For younger children, realistic baby dolls can be a great learning tool. These dolls can vary in their functionality, with many speaking or drinking from provided bottles. Some are even bilingual, providing both English and Spanish vocalizations. As you choose from baby dolls, keep in mind that speech can put limitations on your child’s creativity. Instead of pretending the baby is talking, or even talking for the baby, your little one might treat the doll as mere entertainment.
Experts also advise avoiding dolls from popular TV shows and movies. These can also limit the child’s creative input. Also, certain dolls may promote unhealthy body image perceptions in young children, particularly girls. Mattel has even begun releasing Barbie dolls with more realistic body shapes.
Parents play the most important role in what children get out of playing with dolls. If parents emphasize the educational aspects, even an unrealistically-shaped Barbie can be an enriching experience. Dressing Barbie up in clothing specific to various professions can be a great way to empower children and help them try out various careers during play.
The Doll Buying Guide
- Most dolls come with accessories, and many also offer accessory sets that can be purchased separately. Look into the availability of clothing and accessories for any doll you purchase to make sure your child will get extended use out of the new toy.
- Younger children might want to take their dolls everywhere they go. A good bag or backpack to keep accessories together could be valuable.
- Some dolls will require batteries. Check into this before you buy.
- Children don’t have to lose their love for dolls as they get older. Collectibles can be a great way to keep the trend going into their teenage years.
- When playing with dolls, children often imitate the behaviors of their parents. True-to-life accessories like smartphones or briefcases can inspire children who are old enough for smaller accessories.
- L.O.L. Surprise Dolls have become popular in recent years as a stepping stone to posable figure dolls like Barbies. With an L.O.L. Surprise Doll, a child gets an unboxing experience. Each doll comes with several additional items encased in wrapping, which must be revealed. These are typically accessories that go with the doll.
- Rag dolls are a classic favorite for many children. These dolls combine the convenience of cloth toys with the creative aspects of dolls.
- Some experts believe families can benefit from a minimalistic approach to children’s toys. With too many options, children can suffer decision fatigue. They may also rely on their toys to passively amuse them rather than actively interacting with them. By reducing their options, you may actually encourage more creativity and boost the chances those toys will be played with.
- If your children’s toys often linger in a toybox, unused, having them out on display could help. You might also consider rotating toys: simply pull a few toys out and leave them around while tucking the rest out of sight.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide