Arteza Sketch Book, Pack of 3
Last updated date: November 11, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Sketch Books and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Sketch Book you should buy.
If you want the biggest bang for your buck, the Arteza Sketch Book, Pack of 3 is your best bet. The pads use acid-free paper designed to prevent bleeding. So, artists can experiment with everything from colored pencils to thick markers. The perforated pages also allow for easy removal. Users should take extra care when storing this sketch pad in a bookbag, as the soft cover is susceptible to tearing. In our analysis of 70 expert reviews, the Arteza Arteza Sketch Book, Pack of 3 placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note November 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Sketch Book for a detailed review of all the top sketch books.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
SketchBooks 5.5x8.5 (1 banner) SketchBooks 5.5x8.5 (2 banner) SketchBooks 5.5x8.5 (3 banner, US) ARTZ-8091_Sketch_Book_Pad_Spiral_Sketchbook_Art_Drawing_Paper_9X12 ARTZ-8375_Spiral-Bound_Gray_Toned_Acid-Free_Sketch_Pad_9x12 ARTZ-8377_9X12_Black_Sketch_Pad_Pack_of_2 ARTZ-8377_9X12_BlacARTZ-8379_11X14_Black_Sketch_Pad_Pack_of_3k_Sketch_Pad_Pack_of_2 ARTZ-8893_5.5X8.5_Gray_Toned_Sketch_Pad_Pack_of_3 ARTZ-8895_5.5X8.5_Black_Sketch_Pad_Pack_of_3 Sketch Book Pad, Spiral Sketchbook (68lb/100g, 200 Sheets, 2 Pack) 9x12" Spiral-Bound Gray Toned Acid-Free Sketch Pad, 9x12 inches, 2 Pack 9X12” Black Sketch Pad, Pack of 2, 60 Sheets (90lb/150gsm), 30 Sheets Each 11X14” Black Sketch Pad, Pack of 3, 150 Sheets (90lb/150gsm), 50 Sheets Each 5.5X8.5" Gray Toned Sketch Pad, Pack of 3, 150 Sheets (80lb/118 GSM) 5.5X8.5” Black Sketch Pad, Pack of 3, 150 Sheets (90lb/150gsm), 50 Sheets Each ARTZ-8071_Professional_Colored_Pencils_48 ARTZ-8072_Professional_colored_pencils_72 ARTZ-8119_Wood-Cased_Pencils_Latex_Free_Erasers_Box_of_48 ARTZ-8121_Wood-Cased_Pencils_Latex_Free_Erasers_Box_of_72 ARTZ-8122_Wood-Cased_Pencils_Latex_Free_Erasers_Box_of_96 ARTZ-8115_Wood-Cased_Pencils_Latex_Free_Erasers_Box_of_180 Professional Colored Pencils (Set of 48) Professional Colored Pencils (Set of 72) Wood-Cased Pencils - Pre-Sharpened - Latex Free Erasers - (Box of 48) #2 HB Wood-Cased Pencils - Pre-Sharpened - Latex Free Erasers - (Box of 72) #2 HB Wood-Cased Pencils - Pre-Sharpened - Latex Free Erasers - (Box of 96) #2 HB Wood-Cased Pencils - Pre-Sharpened - Latex Free Erasers - (Box of 180) #2 HB Pack Size 48 72 48 72 96 180 Available Colors 48 72 Gray Gray Gray Gray Wood-cased ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Non-toxic ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Latex-free Erasers ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ Tin Box ✓ ✓
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Sketch Books
You never know when your next creative idea will strike, so it’s a good idea to have a sketch pad and drawing utensils handy. Not all sketch pads are created equal, however. So before you purchase one, you’ll want to take into consideration a few important features.
First, determine whether the company producing the sketch pad takes measures to protect the environment. For example, the makers of the Pentalic Sketch Book only use paper created from certified sustainable forests. They prominently display a sticker with this information right on the front cover of the pad.
Next, decide whether you’d like the sketch pad to have a soft or hard cover. Soft covers tend to come with a spiral binding, which allows you to quickly flip through the pages. But, they can also be susceptible to damage and tearing when placed in a bookbag. Hard covers protect the pages better, and if you opt for a leather cover, you’ll also enjoy the anti-slip surface.
Consider the shape of the sketch book pages. Traditional pads are rectangular in shape, but now artists have the option of buying square-shaped sketch pads, like the illo Sketchbook Premium 122lb Hardcover Notebook. The benefit to this shape is that it’s better for sharing pictures of the sketches on social media.
The size of your sketchbook is also important. “Is it something you plan to carry with you and use on the go? If so, think about where it needs to fit,” says art educator Amy Markham. Her podcast “Starling” helps artists develop their creative process. “Will you carry it in a backpack, a purse or a pocket? Some people prefer to have a smaller sketchbook to carry around and a larger one for planning out ideas when they are at home.”
Finally, you’ll need to think about what sort of paper is best suited to your needs. “If you are mainly using your book for pencil sketches and the occasional pen, then standard sketchbook paper will work. If you are using markers, inks or some light watercolors, opt for a mixed media paper,” says Markham. “Sketch paper will not absorb wet media. If you know you are going to be painting often in your sketchbook, go for a watercolor paper sketchbook.”
Don’t forget to check the thickness, weight and absorbency of the pages as well. Thinner pages will leave press-through impressions on the pages behind them.
DWYM Fun Fact
The Oxford dictionary refers to a sketch as “a rough or unfinished drawing.” Sketches were originally designed to give an artist a way to put their ideas down on paper. People sometimes refer to this as doodling. Later, the sketches would be used as a starting point to create the final masterpiece that the artist had in mind.
Today, however, creative minds often use sketch pads to create work of arts and not just rough drafts. The most commonly used medium for drawing in a sketch pad is the pencil. Did you know that just one lead pencil can create a straight line that is an astounding 35 miles long?
The Sketch Book Buying Guide
- Check to see if the company has a money-back guarantee policy. This isn’t necessary, but it does add a layer of protection in case the sketch pad doesn’t live up to your expectations.
- You can frame your favorite sketches and give them away as gifts or use them to decorate your home. If the sketch pad page is not the same size as a traditional frame, you can take it to a craft store and have a custom frame made.
- Sketching just a few minutes every day is a great way to improve your speed and accuracy.
- You don’t have to confine yourself to using the sketch pad for drawings only. You can also write to-do lists in them, create calendars or documents your observations when bird watching. Another option is to use the pad as a visual journal, combining your written thoughts with important images that remind you about the day. If you travel, for example, you may wish to draw the Eiffel Tower and then write about the sites and sounds you experienced from the observation deck.
- Keep your sketchbook away from any liquids. Accidental spills can ruin the pad’s pages.
- When it comes time to compare sketch pad prices, you need to consider whether the book has a hard or soft cover. Sketch pads with a hard cover, like the illo Sketchbook Premium 122lb Hardcover Notebook and the Pentalic Sketch Book, command a higher price than those with soft covers, like the Strathmore 400 Series Sketch Pad. The Arteza Sketch Book, Pack of 3 contains multiple pads, so you’ll need to divide the number of pads by the total cost to determine the price per sketchbook.