Anova Culinary AN500-US00 Sous Vide Precision Cooker
Last updated date: October 20, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Sous Vide Immersion Cookers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Sous Vide Immersion Cooker you should buy.
Editor's Note October 20, 2020:
Checkout The Best Sous Vide Immersion Cooker for a detailed review of all the top sous vide immersion cookers.
It takes just three steps to cook a delicious meal using this sous vide immersion cooker. Simply attach the cooker to your pot, add a packet of sealed food and use the cooker's app to control the device. If you'd like, you can also purchase this cooker with a lid or a storage case.
In our analysis of 147 expert reviews, the Anova Culinary Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker placed 2nd when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The all-new Anova Precision Cooker — improved connectivity, more power, and faster heat up times, all in a smaller design. A secret in professional kitchens for decades, sous vide works by circulating heated water in a pot at a very precise temperature according to the desired doneness of your food, holding it there for the duration of your cook for exceptional results. With just 3º making the difference between a rare and medium-rare steak, precision is key in the kitchen. This simple and approachable technique eliminates overcooked, dried out food and ensures edge-to-edge perfection every time you cook!
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Sous Vide Immersion Cookers
You may have heard the term “sous vide” while watching your favorite cooking show. You’ve probably even enjoyed sous vide-prepared foods at a fancy restaurant or two. But you don’t have to be a professional chef to cook your foods using the sous vide method. There are plenty of sous vide immersion cookers designed for the home market that will make it easy to prepare delicious meals at home.
What is sous vide? It helps to know that in French, the term translates to “under vacuum,” which is exactly how you’re cooking when you make something sous vide. To cook this way, you first seal your ingredients in an airtight bag, then immerse the bag in a large pot of hot water until the contents are done. Your food cooks gradually without ever coming into contact with smoke, steam, flames or even boiling water.
To make this innovative cooking technology work, though, you’ll need something called a sous vide machine. This machine has a heated coil that warms the water to the temperature necessary to cook your food. It’s important to note your food can take a while to cook this way. Your steak may take a couple of hours rather than the minutes you’d get with other cooking methods, but that just means your meat is cooked well without being overdone.
Steaks and poultry aren’t the only things you can cook using the sous vide method. You can also cook eggs, custard, cheesecake, oatmeal and sauces, among many other foods. You’ll need cooking bags to insert your foods into the water, and a vacuum-sealing system to make your food airtight. Experts recommend the FoodSaver vacuum-seal bags that are made to go with their vacuum-sealing system. If you’re concerned about chemicals leaching into your food items when heat is applied, make sure your bags are BPA-free.
The Sous Vide Immersion Cooker Buying Guide
- Unlike other types of appliances, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity are essential features with a sous vide immersion cooker. Some of these cookers can only be controlled with an app, which can be problematic if your device frequently loses Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity. If you want to be able to control your cooker with an app, you may prefer to have a cooker that you can control on the unit itself.
- Another reason apps are important is that manufacturers now stock them full of recipes and cooking instructions. Some apps even guide you through cooking.
- If you choose a cooker with an app, you can also control cooking remotely. That means you can walk away from your pot of water and do other things while you wait. You can also control some sous vide cookers via voice command if you have an Alexa device in your home.
- As useful as app control is with an immersion cooker, there’s a simplicity to those that build controls onto the device with no app control available. You don’t have to worry about connecting it to your Wi-Fi or linking up your mobile device. Just power it up and start cooking.
- The wattage of your sous vide immersion cooker is also important. The higher the wattage, the more foods you can cook. You’ll also find more powerful cookers heat the water quicker and hold a more precise temperature.
- Sous vide immersion cookers are relatively small in size, but some are more lightweight and portable than others. That means not only can you take them on the go with you if you want to show off your new cooking talents to friends, but you can also easily store them in a silverware drawer.
- Pay close attention to the temperature range of the immersion cooker you choose. Some swing fairly wide, which opens up the possibilities when it comes to the foods you can cook using them.
- You’ll need to maintain a minimum water level for your food to cook properly. Unfortunately, sometimes water can evaporate, leaving you with a dangerous situation. Some sous vide cookers have a built-in mechanism that shuts them off automatically once the water drops below a minimum level.
- You’ll need to clean your immersion cookers between uses. If you prefer a cooker you can slip into the dishwasher, look for one with detachable parts that can be cleaned that way.
- Your immersion cooker will attach to your pot using a clamp. Look for one that can clamp to a variety of pot sizes to diversify your cooking options. Some cookers use a magnet to attach to your pans, alleviating concerns that your clamp might not fit.
- If you plan to hang near the kitchen while your sous vide immersion cooker is heating your food, a timer can come in handy. Otherwise, you may simply want to set a timer on your phone to remind you when your food is ready.
- One great thing about cooking food in a vacuum bag is that your food is contained, which can keep you and your surfaces safe from contamination. However, you’re cooking your food for an extended time, which can provide the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. It’s important to remove the food once it’s done and serve it immediately. If you aren’t ready to eat it, put it in a container and store it in your refrigerator for safety.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide