American Tourister Softside Luggage, 21-Inch
Last updated date: March 12, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Affordable Luggage and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Affordable Luggage you should buy.
With the 360 degree spinner wheels, the American Tourister Softside Luggage, 21-Inch is able to keep the weight of your clothing off your back and shoulders. Although the suitcase meets carry on standards, it's still extremely spacious, especially when using the expandable zipper. There are also two additional pockets in the front of the bag for storing your passport and tablet. In our analysis of 40 expert reviews, the American Tourister American Tourister Softside Luggage, 21-Inch placed 6th when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note April 14, 2020:
Checkout The Best Affordable Luggage for a detailed review of all the top affordable luggage.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
The 4 Kix lightweight carry on spinner suitcase is weighs in at just 7 pounds, and is easy to pack. The large interior compartment and exterior packing pockets offer plenty of room for everything you need for a 2-3 day adventure. Meeting most airline requirements for carry on sizing, the 4 Kix carry on spinner suitcase makes travel a breeze with its ease of mobility and compact yet roomy style.Easy to maneuver and loaded with features, the American Tourister 21 lightweight carry on spinner is fun and trendy for modern travelers.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Affordable Luggage
Luggage is sometimes referred to as a suitcase or baggage. It comes from the word “lug,” which actually means to drag. Each piece of luggage is designed specifically to help individuals safely pack their personal belongings and keep those items organized during travel. If you’re in the market for luggage that is affordable, keep the following information in mind.
Examine the luggage to ensure its outer material is sturdy and durable. Your bag is likely to get tossed and handled in a manner that isn’t gently, so it needs to be able to withstand a little abuse. The Coolife Expandable Luggage, 28-Inch uses an ABS+PC hard plastic shell that is resistant to scratches. Consumers will also love that Coolife luggage is put through strict testing to ensure it meets the highest quality standards.
Determine how the luggage is to be carried. If the bag simply has a handle, you’ll only be able to pack it with as much weight as you can carry on your back and shoulder. Should the bag have wheels and an extendable handle, like the Olympia Rolling Luggage Tote, 20-Inch, you’ll be able to pull the suitcase without putting any strain on your body. There are luggage models that have two wheels that only move front to back, as well as models that feature four wheels that turn 360 degrees.
Consider any features that make organizing your personal items within the bag easier. For example, the AmazonBasics Hardside Luggage, 21-Inch comes with an interior divider and three zippered pockets. Other suitcases have exterior pockets for storing your travel documents and any electronic devices you may need on your trip.
Decide if you want a suitcase that blends in or stands out. The Rockland Expandable Luggage, 20-Inch comes in an astounding 32 different colors, giving you plenty of options to choose from. Other suitcases even have a variety of patterns in addition to colors.
Don’t forget to look for any extras that put one piece of luggage over another. You may wish to go with a bag that has an expandable zipper for an added space of 15% or one with built-in TSA locks for safety.
DWYM Fun Fact
Did you know one of the first recorded uses of the word “luggage” was in the play “Henry IV” by none other than William Shakespeare? That was sometime back between 1596 and 1597. Here are a few more interesting facts you may not know about this handy product that makes travel much easier.
- Inventor Bernard Sadow was the first to patent suitcases equipped with rollers. That was back in 1970.
- Over 2 million pieces of luggage are mishandled each year. This statistic reveals the importance of adding a tag with your name and address to the bag’s handle.
- All lost and unclaimed luggage is sent to Scottsboro, Alabama.
The Affordable Luggage Buying Guide
- Not all luggage pieces are expandable, so make sure you can fit all of your personal items in the bag before you buy.
- Some suitcase models may arrive with a strong chemical smell to them. You’ll need to completely air them out before you use them to pack your clothing. Otherwise, you risk transferring the smell to your clothing items.
- After each trip, it’s good practice to clean your luggage. Use a disinfectant wipe to clean the bag’s handles and wheels. Vacuum out the interior of the suitcase using a hose attachment and then wipe down any dirt spots on the bag’s exterior with a damp microfiber cloth. If you experience any stains, use an upholstery shampoo to get them out.
- Some models have no locks, which means you’ll need to purchase one separately. You’ll need to factor this in when considering the overall price.
- Look for a satisfaction guarantee or a product warranty. Many luggage manufacturers are confident in the quality of their items and are willing to offer warranties of up to 10 years.
- Size and construction material play a big role in the price of a piece of luggage. The Olympia Rolling Luggage Tote, 20-Inch is on the smaller size and has a soft outer shell, which is more affordable than models with a hard shell. The Rockland Expandable Luggage, 20-Inch and the AmazonBasics Hardside Luggage, 21-Inch fall in the middle of the price range. Since it’s 7 to 8-inches larger than other models, the Coolife Expandable Luggage, 28-Inch has a higher cost.