AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat
Last updated date: November 5, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Silicone Baking Mats and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Silicone Baking Mat you should buy.
Update as November 5, 2020:
Checkout The Best Silicone Baking Mat for a detailed review of all the top silicone baking mats.
During our testing, we loved the even baking, easy transfer and clean finish of this mat. Although hand-washing is recommended, the AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat is dishwasher-safe, as long as you set it on the top shelf. You can use metal spatulas and utensils without worrying about scratching this mat — a rarity for silicone mats.
In our analysis of 165 expert reviews, the AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat placed 7th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Food-Grade Silicone Made from durable, food-grade silicone that can be reused over and over, the flexible baking mats feature a nonstick surface that allows for effortless food removal. No extra greasing needed. Use the silicone mats when baking chocolate-chip cookies, cinnamon buns, or homemade bread or when making sticky caramels or baked salmon with garlic and lemon. The mats also work well for placing under bubbling casseroles or fruit pies that drip over, catching drips and preventing a messy oven, dirty pan, or the need for disposable aluminum foil. And unlike other types of pans and baking sheets, the non-stick baking mat can handle the use of metal spatulas or utensils without damage (serrated edges not recommended). baking mat Oven-Safe The two-pack set of AmazonBasics baking mats are oven-safe up to 480 degrees F. They can be used in all types of ovens, except for direct-fire ovens. Once the mats are placed on a pan or sheet into a hot oven, they evenly transfer heat to the food for thorough baking and consistent results. baking mat Easy Clean-Up When finished, cleanup is a breeze. Simply wash the mats by hand with soap and water and allow to air dry, or place in the dishwasher (top rack only).
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Silicone Baking Mats
Baking requires a variety of accessories for success. You’ll need either parchment paper or aluminum foil, or you’ll have to use cooking spray or oils. Otherwise, your food will stick to the pan at worst and cook unevenly at best.
Enter the silicone baking mat. This cooking tool tends to be something you don’t even know you need until you have one. Simply spread one of these mats across your baking sheet and enjoy even, nonstick baking. Some mats are even built to use without a baking sheet, letting you place them directly on the oven rack.
What are the benefits of a silicone baking mat? The first is that you’ll save money on cooking sprays, oils or nonstick papers, and you’ll avoid the extra calories that come from oils and cooking sprays. You also won’t be disposing of one-time-use parchment paper or aluminum foil. A baking mat’s reusability makes it an environmentally friendly solution.
There are several things to consider when buying a silicone baking mat, whether you’re choosing one for yourself or to give as a gift. One of the most important is the evenness of cooking. The right mat distributes heat evenly throughout the baking process, preventing burning and ensuring delicious taste in every bite. You’ll also need a nonstick surface to prevent your treats from sticking to the pan and tearing when you try to remove them.
Nonstick surfaces also mean easier cleanup. Simply remove the mat and wipe it down with soapy water, then rinse. Some mats allow you to wash them on the top rack of your dishwasher, but the size of the mat can make it tough to squeeze in. To be safe, it’s best to plan on handwashing your baking mat after each use.
Another thing to check before using your mat is its temperature tolerance. Baking mats are built to withstand typical baking temperatures, but if you’re baking at heat levels above 450 degrees, make sure your mat is built for it. Some mats can also be used in the microwave and the freezer, broadening the possibilities.
The Silicone Baking Mat Buying Guide
- Even heat distribution is essential in a baking mat. Look for a mat built with food-grade silicone and reinforced with fiberglass mesh, which transfers food effortlessly while also providing a nonstick surface.
- Cleanup is a big consideration with baking mats. The GRIDMANN Half Sheet Silicone Baking Mat, 2-Pack is the easiest to clean, thanks to the fact that you can wash it in the dishwasher on the top rack. However, fitting it into that space might be challenging. You can simply wash your mat with soap and warm water, then set it on the counter to dry. You’ll follow a similar handwashing procedure with the Velesco Silicone Baking Mat, Silpat Silicone Baking Mat and Artisan Silicone Baking Mat.
- One great thing about the build of the Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is that it doesn’t allow food to fall into the crevices.
- These mats are silicone, so there is a limit as to how much heat they can withstand. Some models have high heat tolerance, withstanding temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is limited to 480 degrees, but this is higher than most recipes. Other models promise heat tolerance of up to 480 degrees, but your food may start to burn once you exceed 400 degrees.
- Spatulas and utensils you can use with a silicone baking mat are a bit limited, as metal may scratch it. Some mats are built to withstand metal, so you can use the silverware and spatulas you already have.
- One of the best things about certain baking mats is that you can place them directly on an oven rack, no baking sheet required. Look for this feature if it’s important to you.
- With some baking mats, you aren’t limited to oven use. You can actually use them in the microwave and freezer. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat is built to handle temperatures all the way down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can use it in the freezer, as well as the toaster oven and microwave.
- In addition to using some silicone mats in more than one appliance, you can also use some of them to perform other types of cooking activities. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat can help you with kneading and rolling in addition to baking. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat can be used to knead, roll and shape dough, as well as roast meat. You can even use it to cool your food items.
- Safety is top-of-mind for many households. Look for a mat that is made from non-toxic, food-grade silicone to keep carcinogens out of your food. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat is FDA-approved for its food safety, so you can rest easy knowing that your food will be BPA and PFOA-free. The Artisan Silicone Baking Mat is BPA and PFOA-free, as well as being manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner.
- As you’re comparing prices, make sure you keep in mind what you get in each set. Some mats are sold individually, whereas others come with two 11.6- by 16.5-inch mats. The Velesco Silicone Baking Mat and Artisan Silicone Baking Mat are also sold in pairs.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide