AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner Luggage – 20-Inch, Carry-On
Last updated date: March 12, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Hardshell Luggage Sets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Hardshell Luggage Set you should buy.
Editor's Note March 19, 2021:
Checkout The Best Hardshell Luggage Set for a detailed review of all the top hardshell luggage sets.
In our analysis of 148 expert reviews, the AmazonBasics AmazonBasics Hardside Luggage, 20-Inch placed 12th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner Luggage - 20 Inch A great choice for international travel, this AmazonBasics hardside spinner luggage measures 20 inches--a size that's accepted as carry-on for most international flights. The luggage also works well for weekend getaways or one- to two-day business trips, offering enough packing space to hold a few changes of clothes, toiletries, and a pair of shoes. The 20-inch spinner luggage provides a durable zipper for reliable closure, and its expandable design creates up to 15% more packing space for extra room when you need it (and less when you don't). AmazonBasics Three Year Limited Warranty for Luggage https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/Amazon-Basics/Warranty/Luggage_Warranty._CB514785408_.pdf Details Protective hard shell Made of extra-thick ABS for enhanced strength Scratch-resistant finish Fully lined interior with divider 150D-polyester interior organizer with 3 zippered pockets Expandable up to 15% Solid, strong zippers Telescoping handle Securely mounted short handle 4 double spinner wheels Hard Shell with Scratch-Resistant Finish The AmazonBasics luggage features a protective hard shell for strength and peace of mind when it comes to knowing stored items won't be crushed en route. The hard shell's durable scratch-resistant finish offers added strength, helping to keep the luggage looking like new even after rough and tumble travel conditions. Fully Lined Interior with Divider and 3 Zippered Pockets Fully lined, the luggage protects stored items from scratches and snags, while its handy divider helps keep everything neatly separated. An interior organizer, made of 150D polyester for exceptional strength, includes three separate zippered pockets that work well for securely storing smaller items, like important papers, accessories, or phone cords and chargers. Telescoping Handle & Securely Mounted Short Handle For added convenience, the AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner luggage comes equipped with a user-friendly telescoping handle that locks into place. Extend the handle when rolling the luggage, and then collapse it down in one smooth move for compact storage when not in use or when placing in the trunk or closet. The securely mounted (and thoroughly tested) short handle offers rugged strength for stable lifting, unlike the competition, where the short handle is attached less securely. Four Double Spinner Wheels Maneuver the luggage around with ease thanks to its four double spinner wheels. Unlike other rolling luggage that rolls just forwards and backwards—or other spinner luggage that have single versus double wheels, the AmazonBasics spinner luggage offers superior strength and glides effortlessly in any direction. Testing Procedures: Stability test Active-handle-strength test Castor/roller-durability test Drop test Zipper test Colorfastness test Seam-strength test Control-elements test Stacking-capacity test Effects-of-extreme-temperature-change test Effects-of-humidity-exposure test Resistance-to-corrosion test AmazonBasics Product Testing To ensure the highest quality luggage for flight crews and routine travelers, the AmazonBasics testing team conducts a full range of rigorous qualification protocols across its entire line of luggage. AmazonBasics strict quality-testing procedures simulate the conditions of real-world travel usage, and the testing covers multiple components like overall stability, dynamic handle strength, and castor and wheel durability.
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Brittany Anas is an award-winning investigative journalist turned freelancer who now specializes in travel and lifestyle topics. She is a former reporter for the Daily Camera and The Denver Post. Her travel writing has been featured in American Way, USA Today, AAA magazines, Simplemost, Better, Livability, Apartment Therapy, Men’s Journal, Austin-American Statesman, TripSavvy and other outlets. She’s carved out a niche in adventure travel writing and has a column with Forbes that’s focused on outdoors travel. She logs about 75,000 airline miles a year and has mastered the art of napping in airports and finding the best spicy cocktails in whichever city she visits. She treats travel like a scavenger hunt, finding what makes cities special. Brittany is based in Denver, and loves exploring Colorado’s hiking trails with her gremlin that the rescue described as a “Boston Terrier.”
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Hardshell Luggage Sets
If you’ve been enviously eyeing your friends’ photos from their latest trip and daydreaming about your dream beach vacation, it’s time to make that dream a reality and hit the friendly skies. A good first step is investing in luggage that can withstand long walks around the airport and hours in cargo storage or an overhead compartment. If you’ve always used soft suitcases, it’s time to upgrade and buy some hardshell luggage.
Hardshell suitcases have rock-solid exteriors made from different types of ultra-strong plastic. The tough-as-nails outer shell is a better option for protecting your belongings. Most of these suitcases have lined interiors with pockets and compartments to keep you organized.
Hardshell luggage is usually too heavy to carry, but almost all brands install spinner wheels at the bottom of the suitcase to help you pull it through the airport and beyond.
“Smooth-rolling spinner wheels come in handy when you reach your destination,” notes Brittany Anas, our resident travel expert and an award-winning journalist who specializes in travel and lifestyle. “In a lot of European countries, you’ll be commuting from ferries to taxis or buses on older, uneven streets. Having wheels that can handle the terrain is essential.”
Hardshell suitcases are a little pricier than soft luggage, but the added protection from bumps and drops makes them well worth the extra cash.
The Hardshell Luggage Set Buying Guide
- Hardshell luggage offers more protection for your belongings than soft-sided baggage, but it won’t do you much good if it’s too heavy to carry. Take a look at your suitcase’s weight before you buy, and make sure you can handle that piece of luggage when it’s at capacity.
- Hardshell luggage is usually made from either polycarbonate plastic or ABS plastic. Polycarbonate is lightweight and resistant to high temperatures and impact. ABS is a blend of three types of plastic. It’s even lighter than polycarbonate and less expensive, but ABS suitcases aren’t quite as durable. If you travel frequently, investing in polycarbonate luggage is a good bet. If you only go on the occasional vacation, save yourself some cash with ABS hard-side luggage.
- Certain finishes will protect your luggage from scrapes and dings better than others. Brushed polycarbonate is great for maintaining that brand-new look, and microdiamond texturing also hides any damage.
- The inside of your luggage is just as important as the outside. Multiple compartments will help keep you organized, and mesh pockets are great for separating small accessories. Garment straps will keep your clothes in place during bumpy flights. Check out pictures of the inside of your dream suitcase to make sure it has enough compartments for your needs.
- No one’s expecting you to haul hard-side luggage across the airport without a little help. The best hardshell luggage will have 360-degree spinner wheels that move smoothly in all directions. Check out your luggage’s specs, and make sure it has this type of wheels before you buy.
- You’re already taking an extra step towards protecting your belongings with hard-side luggage. You can add to that effort by choosing a hardshell suitcase with a built-in, TSA-approved lock. Pieces with combination locks will offer more security than key locks (and you don’t have to worry about losing a tiny key).
- It’s the little things that make the difference between a good suitcase and a great suitcase. A built-in slot for a luggage tag will give you peace of mind when you hand over your checked bag. Make sure that the hardshell suitcase you’re eyeing has one before you buy.
- You can also look for high-tech add-ons when you buy your luggage. “Many pieces have ejectable batteries that can charge you’re phone when you’re on the go,” says travel pro Brittany Anas. “You’ll come to love this because the airport outlets are in high demand.”
- The quality of your hardshell’s zippers and spinner wheels will tell you a lot about its longevity. The last thing you need is a zipper breaking as you’re closing your suitcase or a spinner wheel catching and snapping as you’re rushing to make a flight. Look closely at any photos of your luggage’s zippers or wheels, and consider returning it if they look weak upon closer examination.
- Hardshell luggage tends to be a greater financial investment than soft luggage, and you should do what you can to help maintain it. Purchasing luggage straps to wrap around your hardshell suitcase will reduce strain on the zippers if you’ve packed a lot for a long trip.
- If you travel infrequently, you’ll put less strain on your luggage and it will last longer.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide