AmazonBasics Foldable Laundry Rack
Last updated date: January 22, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Drying Racks and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Drying Rack you should buy.
If you want to air dry your clothes with one of the most durable drying racks on the market, then you'll want to pick up the AmazonBasics Foldable Laundry Rack. This drying rack is also a top pick for portability. It's made utilizing an accordion design that folds up with ease. Homeowners can store it in a small space and quickly move it indoors or outdoors as needed. In our analysis of 129 expert reviews, the AmazonBasics AmazonBasics Foldable Laundry Rack placed 1st when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note December 23, 2019:
Checkout The Best Drying Rack for a detailed review of all the top drying racks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
AmazonBasics Foldable Drying Rack - White Air-Drying Clothes Made Easy From delicate hand-washables to everyday loads of laundry, this AmazonBasics foldable drying rack offers a simple solution for conveniently air-drying clothes. The drying rack keeps items hanging neatly together and placed out of sight (no need to take over the bathroom with delicates). Traditional machine dryers can sometimes shrink, stretch, or generally be harsh on certain fabrics. The foldable drying rack, however, gently and safely dries fabric, helping to maintain the quality and integrity of clothes for longer. Even more, it requires zero of the energy used by a traditional dryer, which means lower overall costs when it comes to monthly energy bills. Details Clothes drying rack provides energy savings and gentle drying Made of durable yet lightweight steel Accordion design folds flat for storage Lightweight Metal with Epoxy Coating Made of steel for durability, the lightweight, portable drying rack works well in any desired location, like a laundry room or bedroom--or even out on the back deck on a warm, sunny day. A waterproof epoxy coating in white covers the metal rack, providing a clean appearance while helping to effectively eliminate odors, stains, and mildew. Ample Hanging Space Eleven durable rods provide plenty of hanging space conducive to adequate airflow for faster drying. Four rods span horizontally along the top, creating a flat surface that works well for drying sweaters, while the seven remaining rods strategically placed below nicely accommodate anything from socks, underwear, and t-shirts to towels, sweatshirts, and jeans. The rack offers strength and stability, even with a heavy load. Easy Setup – Folds Flat for Storage The drying rack''s user-friendly, accordion-style design sets up in seconds (simply expand the rack into the upright position then hook the top bar into place to secure and lock). When finished, the drying rack quickly folds flat for compact storage in a closet or next to the washing machine, ready and waiting for next time. The AmazonBasics foldable drying rack measures approximately 14-1/2 by 29-1/2 by 41-3/4 inches, offering an impressive amount of convenient drying space, all in a small footprint. In The Box - AmazonBasics Foldable Drying Rack - White This product is backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Drying Racks
Whether your home is without a dryer, or you simply have a handful of delicates that can’t be dried in high heat, a drying rack is your answer. This handy invention allows clothes to air dry naturally. Since there are several different models for sale, you’ll want to read this guide to know exactly what to look for when you shop.
Decide whether you prefer to dry your clothing indoors or outdoors. Some drying racks are made for both conditions, but others, like the Household Essentials Clothes Drying Rack, are labeled for indoor use only. If the unit is safe to take outside, check the material the rack is made out of. You want to ensure it won’t rust after being exposed to the elements.
Next, determine the size rack you require. Singles and couples would do well with a smaller rack, while families would require an oversized drying rack. The AmazonBasics Foldable Laundry Rack holds 32 lbs. of laundry, while the GENE Laundry Drying Rack holds 165 lbs. That means the GENE would be a better choice for households of four or more.
Space is another issue you’ll need to consider. Most drying racks are designed to fold up so that they can be stored when not in use. If there isn’t enough room in your laundry area, you may be able to store the rack in a garage or basement.
Look for any extras that might come with the drying rack before making your final decision. The Cresnel Clothes Drying Rack, for example, includes special hooks for drying shoes, socks and slippers.
DWYM Fun Fact
In the early days, clothes weren’t dried by hanging. They were simply laid out on a surface under the sun. Laundry may have been placed on a large rock or simply set over the grass. It wasn’t until the 16th century that drying racks were first spotted in paintings. Even still, the use of clotheslines and drying racks wasn’t widespread until the 1800s. In 1830, Merriam-Webster added the word “clothesline” to their dictionary.
Even though we have machines to dry our clothes today, drying racks are still popular. This is most likely due to environmental awareness and the understanding of how much energy is saved when clothes are dried naturally versus in a dryer.
The Drying Rack Buying Guide
- Unless you leave your drying rack outdoors, it should only need a dusting with a damp rag once a month. Models that are left outdoors should be cleaned before each use, as they may have a coating of dirt, pollen or even leaves on them that could soil the clean clothes.
- Drying your clothes naturally instead of using a gas or electric dryer can actually save you money over the course of year. In fact, The Old Farmer’s Almanac reports that allowing clothes to air dry actually reduces a household’s carbon footprint by 2,400 pounds per year.
- It can take up to 24 hours for some clothing to dry naturally indoors. During the colder months, you may wish to do laundry more often to account for the extra drying time. You can also run a fan near the drying rack to help cut the drying time down.
- Keep in mind that when you dry your clothing outside, the sun will naturally bleach your whites and make them appear brighter, but it will also fade clothes of color. If you want to take advantage of a nice breeze, you can still place your drying rack draped with colored clothing in the shade (out of the path of direct sunlight).
- When comparing prices, it is important to consider where the drying rack can be used. Since the Cresnel Clothes Drying Rack can be used both indoors and outdoors, it is more expensive than the Household Essentials Clothes Drying Rack, which is only labeled for indoor use. The size of the drying rack will also play a role in the overall price. The GENE Laundry Drying Rack is large enough to hold 165 lbs. of clothing. So, you can expect the price tag to be more than smaller models, like the AmazonBasics Foldable Laundry Rack that holds just 32 lbs. of clothing.