Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Anti-Jam Crosscut Paper Shredder
Last updated date: June 9, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Crosscut Paper Shredders and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Crosscut Paper Shredder you should buy.
Update as June 9, 2022:
Checkout The Best Crosscut Paper Shredder for a detailed review of all the top crosscut paper shredders.
All you need to do to use this crosscut paper shredder is plug it in and choose between the "auto," "forward" or "reverse" functions. The unit can handle up to 12 sheets of paper at a time, while the attached basket has a 4.8-gallon capacity. As an added bonus, this unit is outfitted with LED lights to let you know if the unit is overloaded or overheating.
In our analysis of 18 expert reviews, the Amazon Basics 12-Sheet Anti-Jam Crosscut Paper Shredder placed 1st when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Cross-cut shredder turns paper into confetti-like pieces measuring 3/16 by 1-9/16 inches (5 by 40 mm); meets security level P-3 standards. Shreds up to 12 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time; also destroys credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated slot), staples or small paper clips. 7 minutes on / 30 minutes off; if shredder runs continuously beyond the max run time, it will automatically shut off to protect the motor from overheating. 4-mode power switch (auto, off, reverse, forward); auto start and anti-jam auto reverse to minimize/clear paper jams; LED indicators (power on, overload, overheat, misaligned); 8.7-inch paper-entry width; lift handle; easy-to-empty 4.8-gallon bin. Quality tested: as part of Amazon Basics quality inspections, we test every shredder before shipping it, which means you may see some paper shreds from the testing. Important Note: Do not spray or keep any aerosol products in or around the shredder and do not shred items like metallic credit cards.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Crosscut Paper Shredders
No one wants to fall victim to identity fraud — and investing in a crosscut paper shredder can help. Data theft and identity fraud pose such a big problem that many consumers have realized the importance of securing their information. This extends to the paper documents they toss in the garbage, which can easily end up in the wrong hands somewhere between the house and the landfill or recycling center. Ripping up every sheet of paper can be time-consuming, especially if you deal with a significant amount of paperwork on a monthly basis.
There are several things to consider when you’re looking around for crosscut shredders, though. Perhaps the most important is capacity. Some crosscut shredders can handle large stacks of paper, while others make you feed only one or two sheets at a time. If you plan to shred items like credit cards, you’ll need to seek out a crosscut shredder with that capability.
One of the biggest issues with paper shredders is jamming. Unfortunately, most shredders may eventually jam, especially if you exceed their capacity or they overheat. It’s important to find a crosscut shredder that can help you easily recover from those jams. Another issue specific to all shredders is that they have a limited runtime, after which you’ll need to wait while they cool down before you can insert another document. This can understandably be inconvenient, so make sure you’re aware of the limits of whatever shredder you choose.
It may not seem a top priority at first, but crosscut shredders come in various sizes. If you plan to slide your shredder under your desk or set it on a table, measure in advance to determine the maximum space you’ll need. Some shredders also include wheels, making them easy to maneuver around as necessary.
The Crosscut Paper Shredder Buying Guide
- If you’ve ever shredded a stack of paper, you likely know the tedium that can come from the task. The more pages you can slip through the feeder at once, the quicker you can move on to other tasks. Some models promise to shred as many as 18 sheets in one pass. Typically, these models can shred one sheet of paper in less than five seconds.
- Paper isn’t the only thing shredders can tackle. Some can shred credit cards, as well. You don’t even have to remove your staples or paper clips with a few other models, which can even shred these supplies along with the paper connected to them.
- Traditionally, shredders cut paper into long strips, which was great, but not nearly as secure as today’s cross-cut shredders, which slice paper both horizontally and vertically. Some may have smaller shredding capacities, producing micro-shreds sized only 4mm x 15mm.
- Capacity isn’t just about the number of pages your feeder can handle. The size of the waste bin also matters. The larger the bin, the less frequently you’ll need to stop to empty it. Look for a model that has an 8.5-gallon bin.
- If you plan to slide your shredder under a desk, look for one that has a front-loading feeder that will let you use it without sliding it out.
- If you do need to maneuver your shredder around, consider the sheer weight the bin has before you have even put the first sheet in. Models range from 10 to 28 pounds. However, it’s important to note that some shredders have wheels, so their weight likely won’t be an issue as long as you keep it in the same general area.
- Ideally, your shredder will rarely jam. If it does happen, though, it will help to have an easy way to get the pages out. However, some models are designed to prevent jams.
- Every shredder only has a short runtime before it needs to cool down. With more powerful models, you can shred for 20 minutes before allowing it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Since shredders can vary dramatically in price, the cost may heavily influence your decision. No matter what features you’re looking for, you’re sure to find a shredder that fits your budget.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide