Amazon Kindle Adjustable Brightness E-Reader, 6-Inch
Last updated date: January 28, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top E-Readers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best E-Reader you should buy.
Update as January 28, 2022:
Checkout The Best E-Reader for a detailed review of all the top e-readers.
This e-reader's adjustable front light keeps you ready comfortably day or night. You can highlight passages, look up definitions and more without leaving the page. It lasts weeks on a single battery charge.
In our analysis of 95 expert reviews, the Amazon Kindle Adjustable Brightness E-Reader, 6-Inch placed 4th when we looked at the top 16 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Technology and parenting blogger
Molly Thornberg is a professional writer, creative and mom to four kids, living her best life outside of Dallas, Texas. With a love for all things tech, she is passionate about helping parents raise kids in the digital age. She writes about technology, parenting and humor on her blog Digital Mom Blog.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On E-Readers
E-readers have changed the way people consume books, magazines and articles. Instead of choosing between one or two physical books to bring with you on vacation, you can bring hundreds of options along in one sleek device. E-books tend to be cheaper than paperbacks, so it’s less expensive to expand your mind and check out new authors and titles. They’re also environmentally friendly; downloading e-books instead of buying hardcover books saves plenty of paper and cardboard.
The popularity of e-readers has spawned a large industry of digital reading devices, and finding the right one for your needs requires some research. One of the first questions you’ll want to ask yourself is how you plan to use your e-reader, and whether you might benefit from purchasing a tablet that can double as your e-reader, says technology expert Molly Thornberg, a parenting and tech blogger.
“Basic e-readers allow just reading. These are great for focused reading, and for kids,” says Thornberg, the brains behind the Digital Mom Blog. “More advanced e-readers are typically tablets offering more options like web browsing and a music player.”
Understanding the technology behind e-readers can also help you make your decision. E-readers take e-book files and make them accessible to readers by storing them on a small computer. Their optimized portability, readability and battery life make them great literary companions. Many models today are designed for easy reading in sunlight.
Staring at a computer screen to catch up on your reading list might sound like a headache, but e-reader technology reduces eye strain. Large screens, backlights and adjustable fonts and text sizes all make ebooks easier to read than ever.
Before you buy, you’ll want to consider whether you prefer an e-reader experience that closely mirrors the one you’d have with a regular book, or whether you’re up for a more lively display.
“E-readers offer either e-ink (electronic ink) or LCD display,” says Thornberg. “E-ink offers an electronic paper-like display. LCD screen displays offer color and typically more touchscreen capabilities. Some devices offer both.”
Older e-readers needed to be charged regularly, but newer models have extended battery lives for more reading freedom. The Kindle Oasis can go weeks without a charge, so you won’t have to go hunting for power outlets at stops on your next road trip.
If audiobooks are more your speed, you can still listen to them on some e-readers. The Kindle Oasis and Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite are compatible with Audible, a massive library of audiobooks and original content.
You don’t need to worry about squinting to make out the words on your e-reader’s screen, either. The Pixels Per Inch (or PPI) of modern e-readers eclipses their predecessors.
Thornberg says you’ll also want to consider what e-book stores and libraries your new e-reader will have access to as well.
The E-Reader Buying Guide
- Will you be traveling a lot with your e-reader? If you regularly jet set for work or play, you’ll want an ultra-portable e-reader that fits easily in a carry-on bag.
- How frequently do you plan on using your e-reader? All four of our top picks have improved battery life over their predecessors. They can go for “weeks” without a charge, but that’s dependent on how frequently you use them. Give your e-reader’s battery life a test run at home before you take it on any long trips.
- E-readers can download books via WiFi or over your cellular network. Downloading over your home WiFi network will save you some cash, but you’ll be out of luck if you want to check out a new title on the go. Using a cellular network is convenient, but the data charges might drive up your cellular bill. Talk to your network provider before you dive into this option, and make sure you budget accordingly for your bookworm habit.
- How many e-books, audiobooks and graphic novels do you plan on reading? You’ll need more memory if you want an extensive collection. The Kindle Oasis comes in 8 GB or 32 GB versions, while other models come with 8 GB of built-in memory.
- What type of controls are you most comfortable with? Touchscreen controls are effortless. However, some older e-readers still use buttons to help you scroll through pages.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide