Allen Sports Deluxe Hitch Mounted Bike Rack
Last updated date: May 21, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Bike Racks and dug through the reviews from 5 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Best Consumer Reviews, Zentiz, Do Best Products, Fitness Equipment Reviews and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bike Rack you should buy.
This is an excellent budget-friendly bike rack, built solid and strong with the ability to carry three bikes. It comes with a lifetime warranty providing a worry-free purchase experience. It does take some extra time to put together this rack properly, so prepare for a lengthy installation. In our analysis of 66 expert reviews, the Allen Sports Allen Sports Deluxe Hitch Mounted Bike Rack placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 3, 2019:
Checkout The Best Bike Rack for a detailed review of all the top bike racks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
With only three bolts needed to assemble your Allen Deluxe Hitch Rack, your rack will be out of the box and have you on the road in minutes. All Allen Bike Racks are backed by a lifetime warranty. Please visit the Allen Sports web site for full details. The carry arms on your rack can be easily folded down out of the way when not in use. This allows for greater flexibility in using your vehicle with the rack installed. Allen's patented individual tie-down system secures and protects your bicycles. The tie-downs are fixed in position on the carry arm, but rotate so that the can engage a wide range of bicycle frame sizes and styles. The main mast on the rack can be quickly tilted back fro easy lift gate access when the rack is in place on your vehicle. Allen Deluxe Hitch Racks include the hardware to securely install the rack into your receiver hitch. The included No-Wobble Bolt will allow you to fully tighten the rack in place. Dick Allen (pictured left in 1972) started Allen Sports in his garage in 1967. Since its founding, the company has been committed to producing the highest-quality, easiest-to-use bike racks and bicycle related products on the market. Dick, a onetime aerospace engineer, opened Allen Sports after building a prototype bike carrier in his Lincoln, Massachusetts shop in his free time. The first ever trunk-mounted bicycle carrier made of electrical conduit, metal strapping, and fire hose casings (for padding) was thoroughly tested on weekend excursions to Cape Cod. Shortly afterward, Allen took his design to market, and by 1971 had established a national presence for his product. Today, the family owned company owns more than three dozen patents, operates four warehouses nationally, six factories abroad, and sells products in countries around the world including USA, Mexico, Canada, and China.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bike Racks
Riding a bicycle is a fun, healthy activity that can be enjoyed by those of all ages and abilities. Most people who enjoy spending time outdoors will tell you bike riding is a must-do no matter where you are. It’s a great way to explore new terrain, work on fitness, spend time outside and bond with friends.
But riding around your neighborhood gets old after a while, and getting your bike from point A to point B is always a concern. If you don’t have a truck bed with room for bike storage, a bike rack is your solution.
These handy contraptions allow you to secure a bicycle (the Yakima Ridgeback Hitch Mounted Bike Rack holds four) to the back of your truck, SUV or car. This way, you won’t have to fully dismantle the bicycle or buy a trailer to tote them around.
There are a number of different kinds of bike racks on the market. The racks reviewed here are all the hitch-mounted style. That means these racks attach to the trailer hitch located at the back of the vehicle. Because trailer hitches are built to carry heavy items, you won’t need to be too concerned about weight distribution. Hitch-mounted bike racks are a dependable way to go.
Bikes on a hitch-mounted bike rack are held a few inches from the back of the vehicle, which significantly reduces the risk of them scratching your car windows or paint.
Your vehicle may or may not already have a trailer hitch attached. If not, head to your local parts store to purchase one. Then, you can use any of these bike racks to bring your bicycle wherever you go hassle-free.
DYWM Fun Fact
During cold weather, when biking isn’t at the top of your to-do list, you can still utilize your bike rack for winter sports. Hitch-mounted bicycle racks can often be adapted to carry skis and snowboards. This may require an added accessory (sold at bike stores or online), but it’s worth it for the year-round athlete. Plus, it gets rid of the need to purchase a whole new rack for your winter activities. When it’s time to break out the bikes, you can remove the ski and snowboard rack adapter with a few tools and some elbow grease. Then, you can store it until next time.
The Bike Rack Buying Guide
- Drivers should be aware that carrying bikes using a hitch-mounted bike rack will extend the length of the vehicle. That’s important to keep in mind when backing up, parking and maneuvering the vehicle in tight spaces.
- If you are a casual rider and would like to be able to remove your rack easily and often, the weight of the bike rack is crucial. A lighter bike rack also means better gas mileage for your vehicle. The Kuat 2 Bike Beta Rack is a small contraption made of aluminum, making it significantly lighter than the Kuat Sherpa 2.0-2 and Yakima Ridgeback models. While slightly heavier than the Kuat 2 Bike Beta Rack, the Allen Sports Deluxe rack is a good option that maintains both a lightweight and heavy-duty construction.
- Trunk access is always a concern with bike racks, especially for those who are using them on road trips. It would be a hassle to have to remove your rack every time you stopped to grab something from the trunk. The Kuat 2 Bike Beta Rack, Kuat Sherpa 2.0-2 Bike Rack, Yakima Ridgeback Hitch Bike Rack and Allen Sports Deluxe Hitch Mounted Bike Rack all have a feature that allows the rack to tilt, eliminating the need for its removal and allowing free access to the trunk.
- Having your bike so close to your car may cause some anxiety. What if the bike falls and damages the car? That could be a costly fix. There are accessories, called swing away racks, that prevent this issue.
- Be sure to always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Like wearing a seatbelt in the car, strapping on a protective helmet is an extremely easy way to safeguard yourself in case of an accident. It doesn’t matter how experienced you are, accidents do happen. Some states even have helmet laws in place, heavily penalizing violators.
- With most bike racks, you will still need to use your own cable bike lock to reduce the risk of theft if leaving them on the rack overnight or while you are away from your car. While these locks don’t completely eliminate the chance of theft, they highly reduce the risk. Casual thieves won’t typically take the time or effort to cut a bike lock. Cable bicycle locks are relatively inexpensive and can be bought at any bicycle shop.
- If your vehicle has a spare tire on the back, you will probably need a hitch extension to install a hitch-mounted bike rack. This will move the bikes and the rack even further out from the back of your vehicle, so they don’t rub against the spare tire. Hitch extensions can be found at any auto parts retailer.