Activision Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Last updated date: July 25, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Multiplayer Games and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Multiplayer Game you should buy.
Update as July 25, 2019:
Checkout The Best Multiplayer Game for a detailed review of all the top multiplayer games.
If you're a "Call of Duty" fan, you'll love the multiplayer options built into Activision's "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4." There are several multiplayer modes, including those designed to pit two 5v5 teams against each other on missions. You may find the lack of a single-player campaign disappointing, though, if you plan to play solo sometimes.
In our analysis of 87 expert reviews, the PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Black Ops is back! Featuring gritty, grounded Multiplayer combat, the biggest Zombies offering ever with three full undead adventures at launch, and Blackout, where the universe of Black Ops comes to life in a massive battle royale experience. Blackout features the largest map in Call of Duty history, signature Black Ops combat, and characters, locations and weapons from the Black Ops series, How to play whether you play on your own (solo), with a friend (duo), or your whole squad (quads), the game’s fundamentals are the same. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Multiplayer raises the bar, delivering the most thrilling experience yet with a focus on tactical, grounded gameplay and player choice. The game offers a new level of online action across a variety of new weaponry, maps and modes. For the first time, Multiplayer serves as the center of the game’s narrative as players explore each Specialist’s role and unique playstyles. With the return of the Pick 10 Create-a-Class system and a new Gear category, gameplay becomes more customizable than ever, giving players choice on how to equip their Specialist. Combined with the ability to unlock devastating Scorestreaks, players will have the opportunity to be powerful on their own or unstoppable as a team. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 delivers the biggest Day 1 Zombies offering ever with three full experiences at launch: IX, Voyage of Despair, and Blood of the Dead. With an exciting new adventure and a brand-new cast of characters, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s Zombies will feature the deep gameplay and easter eggs that its rabid community of fans have come to expect. In Blackout, Black Ops comes to life in a massive battle royale experience that features Black Ops signature combat and land, sea, and air vehicles in the biggest map in Call of Duty history. Bringing together the worlds of Black Ops, play as your favorite characters and battle through iconic settings from the Black Ops universe in an all-out survival and elimination experience. PlayStation Players Play New Content First. The Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 community will receive a steady stream of post-launch content within a robust calendar of events, including a variety of free content across all modes. PlayStation players will get access to new content first, including new specialists, maps, Blackout updates and seasonal events. 2018 Activision Publishing, Inc. ACTIVISION, CALL OF DUTY, CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS, and the shield logo are trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are property of their respective owners.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Multiplayer Games
You’ve been a gamer for years, honing your skills and dominating at even the higher levels. Only competing against yourself can get old, though. Your competitive spirit wants to go head to head with other gamers at your skill level.
At one time, playing against someone else meant sitting side by side, sharing a console. That isn’t always practical, though, especially as you get older and your gaming time is limited. Fortunately, the internet has made multiplayer gaming virtual. From the comfort of your home, you can compete against players on the other side of the world.
Most multiplayer games will match you with others who have a similar skillset. You can even form a team that you regularly play. This team may be made up of strangers, friends or a combination of both, but knowing they might be online brings a social element to gaming that you wouldn’t have in single-player mode. One of the best things about multiplayer mode is that some games let you chat with your fellow players, so make sure your game features this before you buy.
Of course, the top decider when you’re looking for a multiplayer game will relate to how well you like the game itself. Many big-name games now offer multiplayer mode, so chances are you can find a game you like that will give you this feature. For multiplayer mode, though, you’ll need to make sure the storyline is built for working in teams. If not, you may find the experience is less than satisfying.
If you have a mobile gaming device like a Nintendo Switch, you’ll find the multiplayer options are more flexible. You’ll be more likely to be playing your team in person, so it will be set up to accommodate that as well as the option of playing online. Look into the multiplayer options for games that sound interesting to you and choose one that seems like it would be fun.
The Multiplayer Game Buying Guide
- If you want the game with the best multiplayer experience, check out PS4’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.” You’ll get the choice of several different modes, including Control, which pits two teams against each other to alternate between attack and defense. Heist has two 5v5 teams that compete to capture a bag of cash, and Hardpoint puts two 5v5 teams against each other to capture and hold various objectives on the map.
- XBOX ONE’s “Red Dead Redemption 2” has a new online multiplayer experience, which brings other players into the game. You’ll have the choice of joining a posse to complete missions together or play in Free Roam mode, where you can invite people to your session if you want to hang out while playing. If you choose the Quick Join option, you can quickly be matched with someone who can join you on missions.
- If you want to participate in PS4’s “Monster Hunter: World’s” multiplayer options, you first should create a squad. Invite all the people you want on your squad and choose a clever name. You’ll then be set up to join a session in progress. You’ll just select Squad Session Search and, if one is in progress, jump right in if you want.
- With Nintendo Switch’s “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,” you have multiple options for joining others in your gameplay. If you’re in person, you can launch a local wireless game with up to eight players by linking up your Nintendo Switches. Online play gives you the option of playing against up to four players, matched based on your preferred rules and Global Smash Power. If you want to play with friends, just set up a private room, or you can play against only one friend who also has a Switch by setting up a single console and playing online in two-player mode.
- “Call of Duty” has long been a gamer favorite, but PS4’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4” is better than ever. Not only does it provide multiplayer mode, but it has fluid shooting and a smaller map that intensifies the game. With this release, multiplayer moves to the next level, combining great gunplay with the ability to be more tactical in your gameplay.
- One of the best things about XBOX ONE’s “Red Dead Redemption 2” is that no matter how many hours you play, it never gets old. The story is full of twists and turns, ensuring that no two gaming sessions will be alike. One of the best things about XBOX ONE’s “Red Dead Redemption 2,” though, is the beautiful, vast, realistic depictions of various American landscapes. You’ll truly feel immersed in the world.
- PS4’s “Monster Hunter: World” is also impressive for its landscapes. This third-person action game will let you choose between high-resolution gameplay, if you have a 4K display or framerate gameplay to ensure your combat is as smooth as possible. In addition to the breathtaking visual detail, you’ll also enjoy the ongoing downloadable content updates you’ll get once you buy the game, ensuring you’ll always have something to anticipate.
- Impressive, customizable music sets Nintendo Switch’s “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” apart from competitors. Choose what you want to hear and start playing. You’ll also get familiar characters and fast, fluid action that will keep even the most experienced gamers satisfied.
- One complaint with PS4’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4” is that its quest to dominate the multiplayer experience has come at the expense of single-player mode. PS4’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4” doesn’t have a single-player campaign. If you plan to play in single-player mode, you may be disappointed. The overall goal of the developers is to eventually have a game that you can play solo or in groups and do completely away with the single/multiplayer binary.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide