1st Choice Retro Salt and Pepper Shakers
Last updated date: October 11, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Salt and Pepper Sets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Salt and Pepper Set you should buy.
Update as February 3, 2022:
Checkout The Best Salt and Pepper Set for a detailed review of all the top salt and pepper sets.
In our analysis of 7 expert reviews, the 1st Choice Retro Salt and Pepper Shakers placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Set of 2 Retro style shakers with lids Perfect for salt and pepper or other spices Made of durable glass, Lids screw off for easy cleaning and filling Approximate 2 oz. each Dishwasher safe
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Salt And Pepper Sets
Freshly ground salt and pepper can make a subtle improvement in the taste of your food. But to get that freshness, you’ll need a salt and pepper set with a built-in grinder. If you’ve eaten in an Italian restaurant, you’re all too familiar with how these gadgets work, but restaurant-grade salt and pepper sets come with a level of quality that isn’t always found on the consumer market.
Fortunately, manufacturers are stepping up their game. Today’s salt and pepper sets are built to resolve some of the problems consumers experienced previously. The first is the messiness many consumers disliked. If you’ve ever set a salt or pepper shaker down, only to have particles fall on the table, you know how annoying it can be. The best grinders put the grinding mechanism toward the top so that the salt and pepper go only where they need to go.
Often what draws you to a salt and pepper shaker set is its design. It will become part of your kitchen décor, after all, and it likely will set on your table when you have friends or relatives over for a meal. If you prefer a more decorative set, you’ll find plenty with an upscale glass design. Some also combine glass and stainless steel, incorporating colors to let you choose the set that is the best fit for your own home.
Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the dangers of chemicals in the products we use. If you’re safety-conscious, look for a BPA-free salt and pepper set. You’ll also find antibacterial glass shakers, adding another layer of protection for your family.
One of the most important things to consider, though, are the spices you can use in your shaker. If you prefer sea salt, for instance, make sure you find a shaker with holes wide enough to accommodate. Some shakers come with adjustable holes to make them more versatile.
The Salt And Pepper Set Buying Guide
- The first big decision to make as you look for a salt and pepper set is whether you want grinders or shakers. With grinders, you’ll need to buy salt and pepper specifically for grinding. The Willow & Everett Original Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set and EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set will give you fresh-ground seasonings every time, but you won’t have the convenience you will with simple shakers like the Tumbler Home Shake It Free Shaker and CHEFVANTAGE Salt and Pepper Shakers Set.
- Compatibility with your favorite seasonings is the most important feature in any container. This is especially true of pepper, which can come in a wide variety of forms. The CHEFVANTAGE Salt and Pepper Shakers Set is designed for the adventurer, allowing you to use table or kosher salt, black or red pepper, chili peppers, chipotle pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and many others.
- Traditionally, consumer-marketed salt and pepper grinders have had a tendency to leave messes behind. The Willow & Everett Original Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set and EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set both put the grinding mechanism toward the top of the grinder to ensure that excess particles don’t land on the table when you set the shakers down.
- If you’re concerned about chemicals leaching into your food, consider the EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set, which is both toxin and BPA-free.
- The antibacterial surface of the glass in the CHEFVANTAGE Salt and Pepper Shakers Set keeps contamination to a minimum. The glass is also designed to protect against scratches.
- You’ll need to refill your shakers occasionally, so it’s important to look at the mouth of the set you choose. The Tumbler Home Shake It Free Shaker has a wide mouth with a self-closing hinged lid that makes it easy to pour your salt and pepper in. The EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set has a narrower mouth, but it comes with a free silicone funnel that makes refilling quick and easy.
- Moisture is not a friend to spices. The Tumbler Home Shake It Free Shaker protects against annoying clumping with a closing hinged lid that puts a tight seal around the opening. The stainless steel lid on the EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set also keeps moisture out.
- Low-quality salt and pepper shakers provide inconsistent pours, making it hard to ensure your food tastes the way you expect. The Tumbler Home Shake It Free Shaker is designed to ensure each shake gives the same even stream. With the CHEFVANTAGE Salt and Pepper Shakers Set, you get three different hole sizes to put you in control of how much spice comes out. The EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set lets you adjust the grind to move from the finest to the coarsest grind.
- Occasionally, you’ll need to clean your salt and pepper shaker. Both the CHEFVANTAGE Salt and Pepper Shakers Set and EC Brandz Premium Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder Set can be easily disassembled to make cleanup a breeze. You can even put the glass part of the shakers on the top rack of the dishwasher.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide