The Best Women’s Flats for Any Occasion
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
A great pair of flats is an essential in any women’s closet. These comfortable and versatile shoes work with almost any kind of outfit and are easy to dress up or down. Plus, you can typically spend the whole day in flats, going from morning to night without any discomfort.
Did you know there are several types of women’s flats you can add to your shoe collection? The most popular variety is the ballerina flat, which is chic and stylish – ideal for daily footwear. They have a closed toe and expose the top of the foot. Ballerina flats comes in different prints, colors and patterns, and some also have a bow or other decorative item over the toe. Another popular women’s flat is the mule, which is a backless shoe with a closed toe. While these are also available with a heel, many mules are flats.
Loafers are another great flat shoe, and are more casual than the ballerina flat or mule. They have a broad, flat heel and a rounded toe, and they cover the top of the foot. Loafers can be made out of different materials, such as microfiber or leather. They are typically worn without socks and offer a vintage look.
D’Orsay flats, which have a closed back and rounded toe, give a touch of glamor. What makes them unique is that the side of the shoe is cut out to expose the arch of the foot. These shoes also have a high-heeled counterpart.
There are many other flat shoe varieties as well, such as moccasins, boat shoes, trainers and Oxfords.
Our Picks For The Top Women's Flats
- 1. Crocs Women’s Kadee Flat
- 2. LifeStride Diverse Interwoven Upper Women’s Flats
- 3. Amazon Essentials Belice Ballet Faux Leather Women’s Flats
- 4. TOMS Alpargata Slip-On Comfortable Flat
- 5. Frank Mully Lightweight Knit Ballet Women’s Flats
- 6. MUSSHOE Memory Foam Dressy Ballet Comfortable Flat
- 7. HEAWISH PU Leather Floral Pattern Ballet Women’s Flats
- 8. Lucky Brand Emmie Ballet Comfortable Flat
- 9. DREAM PAIRS Pointed Toe Ankle Strap Women’s Flats
- 10. Dr. Scholl’s Shoes Giorgie Ballet Comfortable Flat
Women's Kadee Flat
Crocs fans love the brand's ballet flats because they offer firm support and a secure fit; this pair is no exception and sports a micro-floral, metal graphic to give them a fashion boost. They're even made with strategically-placed holes in the material for more breathability.
A Permanent Best-SellerIt's no wonder that so many people buy and love these shoes!
Diverse Interwoven Upper Women's Flats
If you’re looking for pair of women’s flats with a premium on comfort , this is it. It features soft foam insoles and a flexible outsole. The shoe is made of 100% synthetic material.
Super ComfortableThis pair of women’s flats has soft foam insoles.
Belice Ballet Faux Leather Women's Flats
This classic pair of women’s flats is versatile and can be dressed up or down. It features a leather counter lining that is comfortable. Note that the shoes run half a size small.
Classic LookThis timeless pair of women’s flats is highly versatile.
Alpargata Slip-On Comfortable Flat
Beyond just being comfortable to wear, these canvas shoes come from a respected brand that many people find themselves returning to time and time again. Choose from various colors like purple, blue and red, or go with one of their unique designs.
Colors, Designs and ComfortAt just the right price, these shoes provide the options you're looking for in a pair of flats.
What to Look For
- Getting the size right can be tricky when you’re buying women’s flats online. The best way to ensure you are ordering the right size is by using the sizing chart. Measure your foot carefully and compare the measurement to the chart to figure out which one will fit best. Keep in mind that not all brands use the same sizing chart, so a size eight in one brand could be a size seven in another and a size nine in another.
- It’s always a good idea to shop your closet first and see what kinds of shoes you have already. This will help you figure out which women’s flats you will need. For example, if you have three pairs of ballerina flats already, you may want to get a pair of mules next.
- Think of the whole outfit whenever you buy a new pair of shoes. Do you already have clothes you can wear the shoes with or will you need to buy new ones? Keep in mind that certain women’s flats look better with specific clothes. For example, mules are on the formal end of the spectrum, as are D’Orsay flats, while loafers look better with casual clothes.
- If you have wide feet, require extra arch support, or frequently get irritated skin on your feet, look for shoes that can accommodate your needs. You don’t have to suffer in the name of fashion. For example, if you have sensitive skin, consider getting ballerina flats that are a half size bigger so you can wear them with hidden socks to protect your skin. If you need arch support, look for flats with a removable insole that can be replaced with orthotics.