The Best Storage Cabinets
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
No matter the size of your home, there never seems to be enough storage. From the kitchen to the bedroom to the front hallway, there are always things that need to be stored away. Adding storage cabinets to your space is a great way to add shelving while keeping the clutter behind closed doors.
There are many different types of storage cabinets available, so consider the main purpose of yours before you begin looking for one. While many storage cabinets become a catch-all for all kinds of things, it can be helpful to dedicate each one to a certain kind of item. For example, kitchen storage cabinets work great in the kitchen itself and they can also be kept in the pantry. Usually made from wood, they typically have two or four doors as well as several adjustable shelves. These cabinets are perfect for storing dry goods, dishes, cookbooks, small appliances and other kitchen-related items. Many kitchen storage cabinets are available in multiple finishes so you can find one that matches the rest of your kitchen decor.
Another popular type of storage cabinet is a garage storage cabinet. As the name suggests, it is often kept in the garage, but is also good for sheds and basements. This type of storage cabinet is typically made from heavy-duty rust-proof materials such as steel or resin. They have double doors, which are often lockable, as well as adjustable shelves. These cabinets are ideal for storing items such as tools, toolboxes, paint cans and more.
Our Picks For The Top Storage Cabinets
- 1. Keter Polypropylene Resin Construction Storage Cabinet
- 2. Sauder Adjustable Shelves Wood Storage Cabinet
- 3. Hodedah Floor Mount Kitchen Pantry Storage Cabinet
- 4. Rubbermaid Lockable Storage Cabinet
- 5. Sandusky Powder Coat Finish Steel Storage Cabinet
- 6. VASAGLE LOWELL Industrial Rustic Storage Cabinet
- 7. Suncast Commercial Heavy-Duty Resin Storage Cabinet
- 8. Fedmax Locking Doors Steel Storage Cabinet
- 9. South Shore 2-Door Storage Cabinet
- 10. Sauder Harbor View Louver Door Storage Cabinet
Polypropylene Resin Construction Storage Cabinet
This durable storage cabinet is made with resin and won't peel, dent or rust. It is perfect for the basement or garage. The cabinet is easy to assemble with just a screwdriver.
Durable ConstructionThis storage cabinet won't peel, dent or rust.
Adjustable Shelves Wood Storage Cabinet
This elegant wooden storage cabinet comes in a cinnamon cherry finish. It has four adjustable shelves and a full upper shelf. The cabinet looks great in any room of the home.
Elegant OptionThis storage cabinet is a great way to keep the clutter behind closed doors.
Floor Mount Kitchen Pantry Storage Cabinet
This storage cabinet offers easy access to your items with four doors. It is great for the kitchen or pantry and can also go in the bathroom or laundry room. Each shelf in the cabinet has a weight capacity of 20 pounds.
Easy AccessThis storage cabinet has four doors.
Lockable Storage Cabinet
Whether you're looking to store pool equipment or outdoor odds and ends, this cabinet can handle the load. The plastic won't rust and can stand up to plenty of rainy nights. You can even put a lock on the doors for extra security.
Durable ExtraThis unit provides safe and sturdy outdoor storage.
What to Look For
- A key feature you want to look for in any kind of storage cabinet is adjustable shelving. This way, you can position the shelves at different heights according to the items you want to store. This feature provides a lot of flexibility with the size of items you can place in the cabinet and allows you to use your space wisely.
- For many people, having the ability to lock the storage cabinet is important. This is especially vital if you plan on keeping valuable items inside or items that may injure small children or pets if they were to access them. Some storage cabinets have a central locking mechanism where the entire cabinet can be locked, while others can lock certain drawers or doors.
- If you plan on storing items such as small appliances or tool boxes, you may want to look for extra-deep storage cabinets. They typically measure deeper than 18 inches so you have plenty of shelf space for your items.
- Adjustable floor levelers are a good feature to look for if you plan on placing the storage cabinet on an uneven surface, such as in a shed or garage. These can typically be screwed and unscrewed so you can ensure the cabinet is level, keeping everything inside properly stored.
- Look for an anti-tip device, which ensures a tall cabinet doesn’t accidentally fall over. This is especially important if you have young children who may try to climb up the cabinet. Typically, the anti-tip device includes a strap that can be used to secure the cabinet to the wall behind it.
Storage Cabinet Rankings
More to Explore
Want to make sure your storage cabinet doesn’t turn into a junkyard? It’s important to have some organization rules in place before you begin adding in your items. Be sure to decide what types of things you will store on each of the shelves. You can even label the shelves to make it easier to remember where everything goes. Some people prefer to use baskets or bins to house smaller items, such as utensils or nuts and bolts. Another way to always find what you need is to keep a running list of the stored items on a piece of paper and tape it to the door. Note what is on each shelf on the list so that it is easy to find later on.